Puddle light installation

Do your mirrors have the 1-5/8" opening under the mirror with a plastic cover filling the hole? If so, pop the cover off to see if there are two wire leads inside. If not, then you will need to run a two conductor wire through the mirror into the rubber conduit between the door and body. You can either tap into the dome light wire (easiest) or track down the location of the door switch. (Not sure where the switch is). Be sure to put a 2 or 3 amp in-line fuse on each of the two puddle light's positive conductor.

(note: if you connect it to the dome light wire, the puddle lights will turn on when you use the manual dome light switch on the dash. You don't want to drive with the puddle lights on or you will get a ticket).

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in a set of my plug and play LED Puddle Lights.

Edited by kc300c
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

@ kc300c, Stock SE do not have front Bumper Lights but SE do have front bumper lights wiring along with connector. I have just remove the Black covers and install the lights and connect with pre-installed wiring & connector.

I will also remove the cover in side mirrors to check whether wiring is available or not?

sajid,

Non-North American Edge SE's (export only) do have the vertical accent light wiring from the factory. Since you're in Saudi Arabia, I would assume that you have a export Edge SE.

I don't think even the export Edge SEs have the mirror pre-wired for puddle lights. I have had a few people from China and the middle east tell me that their SEs do not have the puddle light wires.

Now.....whose up for a how-to on this very procedure. Any takers....

Are you wanting to know the installation of just the puddle lights or to run wiring to the mirror? If you just want to know how to put the puds in, I have an install video on my website: http://www.daytimebrightlites.com/Puddle_Lights_NL3C.html. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

• 3 weeks later...

Running the wire. I can figure it out and make it all oem looking I'm sure. Just that I came from a VW and a Trailblazer forum and all the stuff I wanted to do to the car was already done as far as DIY's are concerned..........so I got lazy. Now I'm gonna have to start doing investigative work myself. Plus the SE mirrors don't have any hole for a puddle light and I'm not quite comfortable cutting into my new car. Easy.....just small cojones....haha.

Sooo.....theres a 12volt dome light wire in the mirror somewhere to tap into. Please elaborate. I know I can make it work.

First I'm getting my Cadillac horns put in..........(teaser).

Sorry I wasn't clear. There isn't a dome light wire in the mirror. I meant run the wires into the inside of the car and connect to the dome light wire there. Not sure which wire it is in the bundled harness running under the door sill. Either track the wire from the dome light down to the door sill or run the new wires all of the way up to the dome light.

• 2 weeks later...

Edged Up, I'd be happy to make you a paper template to outline the opening. You could sharpen your cutting skills by practicing a couple of holes in a piece of scrap plastic. Once you figure out how to make a nice clean hole, then you can move to the actual mirror. Just a thought.

• 3 years later...

My SE does not have the puddle light holes, but I'm very interested in adding them. The wiring is no problem for me, but I'm curious as to where the hole needs to be cut in the mirror, and if there's anything in there that will be in the way once you cut through-wiring, linkage etc that you have to worry about ruining. I would be ordering a set of the bright lights led puddle lights if I do this... Any one have success cutting their own holes? I'd be interested in a write up... I'm also super interested in adding LED DRL, mine just HS the black inserts. If someone has some information for that, I'd be super interested in that as well!!!

What year? I have an 2009 MKX (same as Edge) that I could go out and measure.

If it were me, I would remove the glass so you can see exactly where the components are inside (you could damage the inner parts if not careful). Lots of write up about how to remove the mirror glass, I popped my passenger side off couple of weeks ago.

Really simple, push the glass in on the car side, put a flat blade screwdriver between the back of the mirror and the holder and twist. The glass will pop free.

I had to pop the mirrors off to add front facing turn signals on my f150. There really wasn't much towards the bottom of mirror besides the plate the mirror attaches too.

With that said I'd do what enigma said and pop it off. Two things though. Start on passenger side if you have auto dim on driver side and screw up those pieces of glass are way more expensive. I'm assuming if you have BLIS there may be some extras.

I had better luck when I popped mine by not only using the mirror controller to bring mirror towards the car (if that makes sense) but also up. Used my long thin flathead to pop the tabs using a flashlight to see them better.

YouTube ford mirror removal it will make much more sense

• 3 weeks later...

My SE does not have the puddle light holes, but I'm very interested in adding them. The wiring is no problem for me, but I'm curious as to where the hole needs to be cut in the mirror, and if there's anything in there that will be in the way once you cut through-wiring, linkage etc that you have to worry about ruining. I would be ordering a set of the bright lights led puddle lights if I do this... Any one have success cutting their own holes? I'd be interested in a write up... I'm also super interested in adding LED DRL, mine just HS the black inserts. If someone has some information for that, I'd be super interested in that as well!!!

There shouldn't be any interference once you get the hole cut. The mirror housing and internals are exactly the same as the mirrors with the holes.

As for adding DRLs to your SE, check out our EDGE-2V4 LED DRLs with built-in LED turn signals. Our kit now includes the courtesy light function with the standard DRL kit. We also now offer a Black and body color accent feature. Here is the link to our Edge product page where you can find our DRLs: http://drivebright.com/home/shop/?filtering=1&filter_model=55

SORBSidebySide-001_zpsqwz2c5wi.jpg

• Like 1