How to Change Tires with the TPMS

oskar27

Looks like my 2013 Edge Limited will arrive next week and since by law in my area we must have winter tires until March 15 I purchase from the dealer a set of 17" snow tires on mags which he will have them install.

Since in about 3 weeks after I will change back to the summer tires, (the original 18" which come with the Edge), I have no problem changing the tires myself but I wonder about the TPMS which I never worked with it before

Do I need any special tool to change the TPMS from 17" to 18"?

Both sets of tires are going to require TPMS. They are located inside the tire attached to the rim. To change them you would have to dismount the tire.

Thanks Cruiser64, somehow I knew that the TPMS are inside the tire but do I have to change them? I thought that you may have to change a setting somewhere in the vehicles computer or something and I'm asking can I do this or it has to be the dealer?

In another thread it was mentioned that the sync'ing works automatically, just takes a few miles. The TPMS sensors should be for the 2011+ models, as they operate on a different frequency from the 2007-10 models.

If this does not happen, you may need to reprogram the sensors http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/5875-tpms-for-2011-edge/

HTH.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I purchased the Ford Trigger TPMS tool below in 2011. Follow the regular key ignition instructions for push button ignition. Took me a while to figure this out but works like a charm.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=170&affiliate=AD4

I do not believe programing is automatic for TPMS's. This year I did not program my snows and never had the warning light come on. I suspect one of two things. The car may remember 2 sets of tires after initial programing of the second set or more than likely, I kept the original tires in the garage this year and park in front of them every night. Last year I stored my tires elsewhere and it took about a week for the warnng light to come on.