Cold Air Intake Information

Howdy Folks-

I'm thinking about buying the K&N CAI. Has anyone installed it their Edge? Is the price of it worth the mpg increase (or is there a mpg increase). The installation looks to be fairly easy, so I'm not worried about that. From my research I've seen estimates of 1-2 mpg for the CAI. I'm looking for hands on experience whith one installed.

Thanks for the help in advance!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It takes about 600 cu ft per minute of free air flow to make 300 engine HP. A clean stock paper filter (and stock air path) will flow that, and filter better, without oil migration to MAF sensor, than an aftermarket filter. A K&N or some other aftermarket filters will flow a lot more air than a stock filter, but the engine can't use it without some other mods to air intake path, valves, exhaust, tune, etc. It's true you might see a slight HP (2-3) pick up with a new aftermarket filter when stock one gets dirty. You would probably see same HP pick up at WOT with new stock one also. Have come to this conclusion after spending many hours on dyno swapping out parts on various modified V8 Mustangs. Clean stock paper air filters, properly sized, do just fine. And are the best at filtering out dirt. If you use a K&N, better change oil twice as often.

CAI kits can flow a lot more air, if engine can use it. Also, depending on where you put MAF sensor, usually all that air will fool cpu into running it a tad leaner (you see this with wide band a/f sensor)....maybe making 6-8 HP. You can achieve same HP gain and a/f with a 92 octane tune and skip the CAI kit. Without some serious mods, and willingness to run 92, it's tough to improve much on a stock tune. And then there is the question of how much performance do you pick up on a 4000 lb vehicle with 6-8 more HP? You pick up that much HP when outside ambient air temps drop 6-8 degrees. My problem with aftermarket CAI kits, on otherise stock engines, that have adequate air intake paths, is it's difficult to know if the HP gains you get is because the CAI leans the A/F slightly. Most vehicles come from factory with a safe slightly rich tune at WOT. So there is a few HP there available with some leaning. I prefer to get those couple HP from a tune....and know what I'm doing.

My advice for best stock performance in a stock vehicle.....just replace the stock filter about every 10,000 miles.

Edited by RJG
  • Like 4

It takes about 600 cu ft per minute of free air flow to make 300 engine HP. A clean stock paper filter (and stock air path) will flow that, and filter better, without oil migration to MAF sensor, than an aftermarket filter. A K&N or some other aftermarket filters will flow a lot more air than a stock filter, but the engine can't use it without some other mods to air intake path, valves, exhaust, tune, etc. It's true you might see a slight HP (2-3) pick up with a new aftermarket filter when stock one gets dirty. You would probably see same HP pick up at WOT with new stock one also. Have come to this conclusion after spending many hours on dyno swapping out parts on various modified V8 Mustangs. Clean stock paper air filters, properly sized, do just fine. And are the best at filtering out dirt. If you use a K&N, better change oil twice as often.

CAI kits can flow a lot more air, if engine can use it. Also, depending on where you put MAF sensor, usually all that air will fool cpu into running it a tad leaner (you see this with wide band a/f sensor)....maybe making 6-8 HP. You can achieve same HP gain and a/f with a 92 octane tune and skip the CAI kit. Without some serious mods, and willingness to run 92, it's tough to improve much on a stock tune. And then there is the question of how much performance do you pick up on a 4000 lb vehicle with 6-8 more HP? You pick up that much HP when outside ambient air temps drop 6-8 degrees. My problem with aftermarket CAI kits, on otherise stock engines, that have adequate air intake paths, is it's difficult to know if the HP gains you get is because the CAI leans the A/F slightly. Most vehicles come from factory with a safe slightly rich tune at WOT. So there is a few HP there available with some leaning. I prefer to get those couple HP from a tune....and know what I'm doing.

My advice for best stock performance in a stock vehicle.....just replace the stock filter about every 10,000 miles.

That is probably one of the most intelligent posts I've ever seen on an online forum from someone I don't know. You have obviously done the research you say you have (and I know that as I have done the same and concluded with the same results) If you wish to increase flow in, you simply must also increase flow out. An engine is nothing other than a big ass air pump. Only X amount can enter and then exit the way it is. Want more power? More in, and more out. Simply adding more in will do nothing other than what he stated, lean out the A/F ration a tad. (which will make it feel a little stronger, but also plays more on the dangerous side of ratio's) It was determined a while back that the new F150, when adding an intake, needed a custom tune to offset the lean ratios it caused.

RJG, I salute you sir. It's not often you find someone who has actually done the work and realizes that CAI's are nothing more than a cash cow for companies like K&N if you don't intend on going much deeper into the aftermarket.

And for those that would question the information, I can tell you I've done some of the dumbest, craziest stuff in my time. I had a 98 Navigator (the 5.4 32V Intech) that I got bored and strapped a blower onto for fun. But I also had a custom dual 3" exhaust, had the intake ported and polished, Lightning SVT injectors and MAF, went through 4 different sets of custom tunes before finding a satisfactory one. It was a beast in the end, putting down 352HP and for some unknown reason, 447#TQ. I loved that big bastard, but what a royal PITA to work with. Everytime I turned around there was another Vac leak, rotted hose or the blower pressure would pop the rubber elbows of in the liquid to air intercooler piping. Last I heard, it was up in Paduka Kentucky.

Edited by stang99x
  • Like 1

That is probably one of the most intelligent posts I've ever seen on an online forum from someone I don't know. You have obviously done the research you say you have (and I know that as I have done the same and concluded with the same results) If you wish to increase flow in, you simply must also increase flow out. An engine is nothing other than a big ass air pump. Only X amount can enter and then exit the way it is. Want more power? More in, and more out. Simply adding more in will do nothing other than what he stated, lean out the A/F ration a tad. (which will make it feel a little stronger, but also plays more on the dangerous side of ratio's) It was determined a while back that the new F150, when adding an intake, needed a custom tune to offset the lean ratios it caused.

RJG, I salute you sir. It's not often you find someone who has actually done the work and realizes that CAI's are nothing more than a cash cow for companies like K&N if you don't intend on going much deeper into the aftermarket.

And for those that would question the information, I can tell you I've done some of the dumbest, craziest stuff in my time. I had a 98 Navigator (the 5.4 32V Intech) that I got bored and strapped a blower onto for fun. But I also had a custom dual 3" exhaust, had the intake ported and polished, Lightning SVT injectors and MAF, went through 4 different sets of custom tunes before finding a satisfactory one. It was a beast in the end, putting down 352HP and for some unknown reason, 447#TQ. I loved that big bastard, but what a royal PITA to work with. Everytime I turned around there was another Vac leak, rotted hose or the blower pressure would pop the rubber elbows of in the liquid to air intercooler piping. Last I heard, it was up in Paduka Kentucky.

• 2 years later...

As has been said, cold air intakes really don't add anything. Certainly not mileage increases... the engine computer is constantly monitoring air flow and adjusting mixture so even if you believe that it would increase air flow, it still wouldn't increase mpg (without a tune). Besides, even if it did increase mileage slightly, how long would it take before one could see any savings after spending $250 to buy it? And if it did produce an extra mile per gallon, don't you think Ford would be all over it as a means of lowering their CAFE numbers?

Once engines stopped using carburetors and went to sophisticated computer controlled injection, I stopped even considering CAI for daily drivers. I still buy cleanable, reusable filters for the convenience of not having to replace them but never an oiled type like K&N.

Buy a CAI kit for the looks and the sound but don't fool yourself into thinking that it will improve mileage or even increase horsepower in any noticeable way. Any HP gain would be at WOT and maybe enough to be measurable but not something you'd notice with the seat-of-the-pants dyno.