HIDs....1 headlight not turning on

I have had HID's installed for about a month now. DDM 35watt with wiring harness. Problem I am having is about 1/2 the time 1 headlight will not turn on with the auto headlights on. Its random, not always the one side or the other. If I keep the light switch off of auto, they work everytime. what am i missing?

You check to make sure the harness isn't melted? That had been a problem with the ddm harness (more with 55w kits, but couldn't hurt to check).

Others have reported they used capacitors, specifically made for hid kits that had fixed the problem you're describing. I don't recall the exact post but you can search for it.

Edited by candurin

Maybe try running them without the harness. The DDM harness is built really cheap with thin gauge wire that is way to long which adds a lot of resistance. My first harness was a cheap E-bay purchase that would only ignite one balast. I made a custom harness using 14 gauge wire for my 35/5000 DDM kit that works perfect but I don't ever use the auto headlight feature. I'll use the auto headlights for a few days to see if mine work properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rheller,

There might be malfunctioning part/s or the connections are loose. You may want to check that.

I bought mine at hidextra, i used to have flickering issues when I installed my kit. Not knowing that I would need capacitors/ cancellers for my Ford. Since I installed the capacitors, I never had any issues with my kit.

I was in their facebook and I saw that they have a recent blog regarding capacitors & relay. You may want to check that out, reading won't hurt you anyway. Enjoy!

http://blog.hidextra.com/hid-relay-capacitors-part/ :reading:

I have the same problem. It does not happen very often but it's really annoying when it does. I have tried two different DDM kits (55w and 35w) with and without the harness the 9006 Morimoto Elite HID kit with heavy duty relay harness and still have the problem. It's always the passenger side light when I have the switch set to auto and when it happens if i turn the lights off then back on both lights work.

I removed the DDM harness and hooked my 35w kit directly and have had zero issues in the past 10 days! So I inspected the harness....on the ddm harness 2 of the ground connections just pulled apart, I am going to go through the harness and solder all connections. I am fairly confident that was my issue. thanks

I removed the DDM harness and hooked my 35w kit directly and have had zero issues in the past 10 days! So I inspected the harness....on the ddm harness 2 of the ground connections just pulled apart, I am going to go through the harness and solder all connections. I am fairly confident that was my issue. thanks

R, unless you are going to increase the wire diameter of your current DDM harness, I would just run your 35w Hids without it. Don't want to see any meltdowns!!!!