Oil change - Date vs mileage

normcloutier

When should you follow the "change oil every 3 months" instead of the "or 5000 km"? I had the oil on my 2013 changed at the 5k and 10k mark. Odometer now reads 12500k and oil life shows 80% but I am nearing the date on the sticker.

Is the date for extreme situations where the vehicle would idle all day? I use the remote start at least 2 or 3 times a day so the engine is running but no mileage is being added.

How accurate is the "oil life"? Is it there for people who just forget to change the oil?

It states in the manual that the oil life meter can reach up to 16000 km or one year. The manual recommends following the oil life meter.

It seems the sticker you are refering to is just the dealer's way to get to come more often!

By the way, even in extreme heat like in the Arabian Gulf, GCC, Ford recommends a 8000 km or 6 month interval (whichever earlier), basically a 50% oil life meter.

Edited by omar302

Trust the monitor, in your 2013 it's a "smart" monitor that takes into account a lot of factors. You should be just coming up to your first oil change, not your 3rd! 5000 kms is a ridiculously short oil change interval. Only the people selling you the oil change would think it's reasonable.

I've been changing the oil in my cars once a year.

Edited by Waldo