New girl on the streets!

Claire Sonya

Hello,

I just picked up my 2012 Sport on Wednesday and am super excited!

I have about 110G+ of music, what is the best way to stream it on myford touch? I bought a 500G hard drive formatted it to FAT32 and I can get it to pull up now rather than the error saying unable to read USB device, but it lags FOR.EVER. at least 10+ minutes....

What is the best way to be able to browse all my music or is the technology just not there yet? My iPOD tends to lag a bit too....

post-26168-0-59969700-1364663997_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Edge community! Great pic, looks like a post-storm location just off the shore ...

No clue on the MFT. But I do know that indexing and searching that amount of data will take some time. Processors/software are just not that fast in mobile audio yet. Microsoft directory structures are not that efficient anyway. Although FAT32 can support up to 8 TB of data (theoretically), it really isn't very good for more than 32GB in practice. That's why Microsoft introduced NTFS / NTFS5. A good summary here: http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

HTH.

If you disconnect and reconnect your drive, the system will have to index the music which is what's responsible for your lag. As another poster said, the processors for mobile have not caught up with mainstream PCs (save for those with carputers or a MacMini). I have an 80 GB iPod and a 120 GB WD drive. I can use either one to play music from after they index.