Drove away with both sets of keys at home - 2011 Edge

So yesterday, me and the family were out driving around (2011 Edge), we stopped at home quickly just to grab something, my wife hopped out and went into the house with the keys in her pocket and I stayed in the Edge with the baby while the car was still running. As the wife was in the house I seen the error message pop up saying no keys detected. She came back unknowingly leaving the keys in the house and we drove away. We must have drove for about 40 minutes and roughly 30km. When we stopped I turned the car off and when we went to lock the door with the FOB - no FOB!

We have done this once before where the wife droppd me off and I still had the keys in my pocket and the error message popped up telling us no key detected and the engine would shut off.

Anyone else had this problem? This has to be a huge safety risk. Luckily we stopped at a mall and had family that was close by that could pick up our keys and come get them to us. I can only imagine if we were to drive any further!

So you got the message saying there was no key and you didn't think to check and make sure she brought it back with her? It should tell you that the key was missing when you turned it off and given you 20 seconds to restart it without the fob.

I did get the message saying no key detected but when she got back in we both just assumed she had it on her, otherwise, why else would we be able to drive away without any keys? And it's not like we drove around the block, we drove from one end of the city to the other.

He's saying that when you turned the car off, it should have popped another message, this time telling you there are no keys detected and given you the 20 second count down.

Note that this is all explained in the Owner's Guide. It's not fair to start calling this a safety issue when you obviously haven't read the instructions.

Edited by Waldo

• 3 months later...

ha ha- you dont know my wife!! by the way, i assume that the sync technology wouldnt allow the remote operator to start the car ?

Oh. Can't help with that. You could fix that problem but it would be expensive. You can't remote start it - that's why it gives you a warning and 20 seconds to restart it without the key.