Inner door rust!

Joey183

I have a 2007 edge with 85000km on it, and I was washing it the other day and noticed that on the insides of the doors there was some paint chipping where the two pieces of metal meet on the edge of the doors. And on two of the doors it seems kinda bumpy, I'm not sure if this is rust under the paint. But the chipping hasn't started to rust yet, I'm glad I caught it early. Can I just get some touch up paint and be good, or should I sand it all down to make sure the bubbling isn't rust? Has this problem happened to others?

Unfortunately, this is a part of the car that seldom gets cleaned, unless you go to a hand wash car wash, that cleans and dries the door jams, and also this part of the door. Automatic car washes will never clean this area, thus causing rust to form. Also winter road salts don't help the matter. Best bet is to carefully wire brush, or even better, use a dremel, treat with rust inhibitor, and even use touch up paint on top.

Most of all, try and clean this area yourself, even if youn go to a car wash. I might be totally anal, but when I wax the cars, I also wax inside the door jams, and even this part of the door. Yeah, takes some time, but I've never had rust problems, and have kept cars for as long a 9 years.

Edited by JOEHIO