Positive Ownership But It's Got To Go

ls973800

I have liked the Edge ever since I saw my first one back in 2007. It was on a dealer's lot and was the Creme Brulee color. I have driven F150's for the last 20 years or so, but always thought the Edge would be a good replacement when I no longer wanted a truck.

Last July I traded in my 2003 F150 (purchased new) for a 2013 Edge Limited. I got it with the 301A package, white platinum, trailer tow package, blind spot monitoring, and the 20" chrome clad wheels. I even purchased the Ford Premium Care Extended warranty thinking this would be something I would keep for a long time. I didn't like the chrome clad, so found a set of Flex 20" alloy wheels and put those on it and sold the chrome clad to someone who had two curb rash wheels and knew he would be doing it again!

I really like the way it rides, (heck, I put 13000 miles on it over the last 12 months almost), handles, looks, and the MPG I am getting, but it just isn't a truck! My wife actually talked me into trading in the F150 because she was a little concerned about the 170000 miles and the age of the truck. I talked my self into thinking the Edge would be a good replacement and so I went for it. Funny, I have never done any towing, but always get the factory tow package when ever I can just for the upgraded cooling and other additional heavy duty components.

I'll be looking around this week and getting some prices on the 2013 F150's and see what they offer for the Edge.

The Edge is really a nice total package, but it just isn't what I want.

I went from a 2003 F150 to a 2011 Edge. Both awesome vehicles but I really hated the MPGs I got with the big truck(5.4 liter). The 150 was much better for all my hunting and fishing adventures but the Edge is doing OK so far. I've never been to crazy about the body style of the 2004+ F150's but the Raptor is one of the coolest looking factory Pickup's I've ever seen.

Looks like the truck is out of the picture for the time being. Went to 3 different dealers and got trade in values. My Edge doesn't have ONE SINGLE scratch, dent, ding, etc. It's extremely clean inside and out with what I thought were some not too common options (factory tow and Bliss). Two dealers offered 23300, and one was at 25000. The car is 10 months old with 13000 miles!

Those prices were based on Manheim auto auction results and not on any Edmunds, Kelley Blue Book, or even NADA BLACKBOOK values. Heck, the Blackbook trade in value for clean is at 28 something and retail over 30.

Oh well, like I said the Edge drives and rides fantastic. I'll be hanging around for a while yet unless Ford jumps their rebates on the Lariat truck to equal the XLT rebates. Right now there is almost a $5000.00 difference in rebate amounts between the two trucks, with the XLT having almost $10000.00 in incentives and rebates (counting my $750.00 private offer).

Yes, there are many Edges around the Dallas area. I also think many of the ones hitting the auction are prior rental vehicles. That floods the market and lowers the trade in price. The rebates on new ones also drive down used prices, since the selling price is that much lower to begin with on a new one.

One of the dealers did raise his offer to 26000, but that is still too low in my opinion. Thankfully getting a truck isn't something I have to do or need to do, it was something I wanted to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I was offered $26,500 for my similarly equipped Edge (although no tow or 20" wheels) that's a model year older with 1500 more miles, but opted against getting out early. Sounds like you were really getting low-balled. Hope you are able to enjoy your Edge for the time being and can eventually justify the truck you want.