Concerned - 2013 Edge Limited/Sport

All,

Apologies if this has already been covered in another post - but I didn't really see this directly addressed.

I have been doing A LOT of research on a new Ford Edge.

I think we have it narrowed down to the Sport model.

I can't see using the Adaptive Cruise much, and I'm spoiled by the power from my 2011 F150 Eco!...so I'm drawn to the larger engine.

The Eco Edge had quite a bit of umph from a stop, but I couldn't see passing on the interstate to be very speedy.

Anyway, my real concern is over the battery.

We went to 2 different dealerships - and for the first time in my life, I would say at least 6 different Limited/Sport models had dead batteries when we jumped in to test drive them (not an exaggeration). The salesman tried to brush it off as other salesmen just leaving something on - which I'm not sure I buy - don't these newer cars have timers built into them that automatically shut power stuff off after so many minutes? The headlights are auto on/off - so that's not it.

I'm very concerned - as a search through the internet has found a number of dead battery stories on brand new Edges.

Anyone think this is a valid concern? I've just never-ever experienced this with any other car - not that I test drive a lot of cars, but it was just plain weird.

This is about the only thing keeping me from a new purchase at this time.

Thanks for your feedback!

I'll keep trolling the internet for more stories.

G

Like Dingo said, batteries are covered under warranty. Years ago, I had the battery go on my wife's MKS, the car was less than 2 years old, now here we are, 3 years down the road on the second battery, and all is fine. I don't know if a Sport will be faster than a Limited, some people on the forum say that the Sport is actually slower, due to the weight added by the 22" wheels. Hey Dingo, can you give some input on this.

I have the 3.7 in my MKX, moves along nicely, and I have the 20" wheels on it. It's not a rocketship, but can get up and go. I think my wife's '09 MKS is faster than my "X", don't know for sure, she refuses to race me. :headspin:

Cool vid - definitely ballz! ;)

Yeah, I know the battery will be under warranty - I was just concerned by the on-the-lot dead batteries. If it would have been just one, I would have just written it off.

The sport definitely looks cooler. I think we'll go Ruby Red. I'm going to use my X-plan again like I did with the F150.

Thanks guys!

I think I had a bad battery in my Edge from factory. I'm still not sure, and neither was the Ford tech, if that was causing my constant "battery saver - system off" issues or if those issues caused my bad battery. I'm leaning towards the battery but I got it replaced at the same time as I was upgraded to the latest firmware for MyFordTouch. Either way if it's even causing the slightest trouble Ford will replace the battery without an issue. Since the replacement and upgrade I've had zero issues, and I can actually have the accessory power\ radio on for more than 3 mins! where as before the battery saver would shut it off.

• 3 weeks later...

Well...

Today we pickup our '13 Edge Sport (Silver FWD).

Man...these puppies aren't cheap!

Can't wait to get behind the wheel of it. I must say, however, it may not live up to my expectations in that my '11 F150 Eco's torque, has me pretty much spoiled :)

...but that's Ok, going to enjoy it waaaay more that our ole used '05 Stratus! Oh car payments, how I've missed thee...

• 1 month later...

The battery is probably the one component we haven't had an issue with in ours. Hopefully yours will be much more reliable and won't require service or a manufacturer to stand behind their product because you may be disappointed. Still love the way it looks and goes in the snow... everything else, not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, so far, so good (...where's that darn board....knock knock...).

Have about 2,700 miles on it already (only had it 6 wks) - wphew! Took it to Lake of the Ozarks on a short family get away a couple weeks back.

Had a caravan going with my son, and my brother-in-law. No way could they accelerate like we could - and man were we packed in that thing - couldn't see out of the back window at all! The Sport ran great.

When we got to the cabin, I did go to set the e-brake, and it popped after a fair amount of pressure, then went to the floor. It held though - so I know it applied, but I'll take it in and get it checked out soon.

My only major complaint I have so far - is that dang seat memory feature! The mrs. figured out how to program her key. We keep the other one stored, so we can pull it out 10 years later and bam!, new remote :) Anyway, she's shorter than I, so whenever I get in when I drive it myself (unlocking her side and letting her in, doesn't seem to move the seat), I have to push my #2 button every time. I guess that's just Ford encouraging us guys to make sure we get the doors for our ladies - ha!

Great crossover so far. The looks are stunning, and the performance is decent.

I'll check in this Winter and report how it handles the snow/ice. (didn't spring for the AWD - too much cost/weight/fuel for as often as we get bad wx here).

Cruise on...