Adding homelink rear view mirror to 2012 Ford Edge SEL

I have done similar mods to a few of my previous cars that didn't have a compass. The mirrors I put in just needed a ground and a power source. I put a Homelink mirror into a F150 and had to run the power from the fuse box up the A pillar and over to the mirror. I've never had any problems, the mirrors always worked and the Homelink was great.

Looking at the picture you posted of the mirror, it looks like it also has an outside temperature display. In order to have that work, you have to install a temperature sensor near the front of the car and run the wires to the mirror. Nice feature to install if you don't already have it. If you don't hook up the sensor, the mirror looks kind of funny with the blank window and nothing displaying there except the compass. You can find mirrors with just the compass and Homelink on eBay.

The other important thing to note is make sure you get the correct type of mirror mount already on the mirror. There are various types and it is difficult to switch them if you purchase the wrong type. There are also different colors that display in the mirror, so make sure you are OK with whatever the color is(blue, green, orange, red, etc). Last, make sure the mirror has the electrical connector and at least a few inches of wires to make it easier for you to do your wiring.

You don't have to install a Ford mirror if you can find others that will work with your mount. I have a Nissan mirror in one of my other cars right now that works and looks great. You don't even know that it was not from the same manufacturer as the car.

After reading through all this it seems that the options are:

A. Buy and install the Ford Homelink visor for $346 plus tax.

B. Acquire / Exchange your non-Homelink visor for one from a Limited (with the owners approval)

C. Install it yourself for about $35 and lots of time invested, provided you have the appropriate fabrication and sewing skills to insure it doesn't look like an embarrasment when you're done.

D. Velcro attach your garage control to the inside of the storage compartment on the drivers side door where it's hidden under the lip of the pocket within easy reach for the cost of two minutes in time and a couple of dollars worth of velcro.

As much as I like "A", I went with "D".

I did option "C" and I don't know jack sh!t about fabrication nor sewing. Took me about an hour and I guarantee you would never know it wasn't OEM..

When you pry open the side of the visor, there are tiny little "teeth" that keep the visor fabric in place. When you tuck everything back in, all you see is the same, stock, seem. As far as the inside goes, you can cut out the plastic housing for the module (there is a blank already built into the visor, you simply remove it with a razor blade).

It's a LOT easier than you think. If you want me to post photos of my visor, I will.

Here's the after photos. Here's the thread I used from the Escape forum (that's what I had before my Edge):

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4074

And some photos (along with the passenger side for comparison):

post-22533-0-16841600-1371085448_thumb.jpeg post-22533-0-43086800-1371085462_thumb.jpeg post-22533-0-24289800-1371085470_thumb.jpeg post-22533-0-12601300-1371085491_thumb.jpeg

There is a small loose thread in the seam, but that was because I had to go back into the visor twice (wire came loose, poor splicing on my part). You absolutely would never know it wasn't OEM (I even ordered a light stone colored module/faceplate).