DIY for Installing HomeLink in SE, SEL, and Sport Edges

UPDATE: Correction - this will not work in the SE, as it does not have illuminated vanity mirrors, so there is no power already going to the visor. Sorry for any confusion.

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I got a 2011 Edge Sport, and I love everything on the car, except I just couldn’t stand having to keep a remote transmitter clipped to my visor for the garage doors after having HomeLink for 9 years now. So after about a week on the phone with my dealer’s parts department, I finally was able to order a visor from the Limited Edge with HomeLink built in. Ford doesn’t want you to do this, and they’ll tell you it wont work, but just order it from fordparts.com yourself. Click this link, and scroll down to the two that cost $311.17. Pick yours based on whether you have the vista roof or not (“less sun roof” or “with high series open air roof”).

Keep in mind that you will have to do a little bit of disassembly to install it, and you’ll need a special torx screwdriver (not sure of the size).

So, here’s what you have to do to install HomeLink in your SE, SEL, or Sport.

First, slide a small flat-head screwdriver into the slot of the cap that covers the visor mount, and slide it toward the windshield to pop the cap off.

post-11065-083862300 1291097003_thumb.jpeg

Then, you’ll need a torx screwdriver to unscrew these screws.

post-11065-077302200 1291097023_thumb.jpeg

Once you have the visor unscrewed, you’ll notice the plug is hidden behind the headliner, and you can’t pull it out.

post-11065-097836400 1291097036_thumb.jpeg

You’ll have to pull out the top half of the A-pillar cover (it just snaps out and back in) and then pull down some of the headliner (only the A-pillar and the black molding are holding it up at this point).

post-11065-078938800 1291097064_thumb.jpeg

post-11065-026363400 1291097082_thumb.jpeg

From there, you’ll see the green clip on top of the headliner, but it’s glued down. I have rather large hands, so I used a flat-head screwdriver to pry it off of the headliner.

post-11065-017701300 1291097052_thumb.jpeg

From there, you’ll have enough slack in the wire to pull the plug out through the visor mount. Now it’s straight forward. Unplug the old visor, plug the new one in, tuck the wires back in, tuck the headliner back under the black molding, pop the A-pillar cover back on, screw the visor back on, and pop the cover back in place.

post-11065-036642700 1291097096_thumb.jpeg

Viola! Your Edge now has HomeLink. Follow the standard instructions in the manual to set it up.

This makes me wonder why HomeLink isn’t included, especially in high-end models like the Sport. Oh well...hope this helps.

Edited by hunter4814
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately I don't have the specific part number, but if you type "visor" in the search field and scroll down some (for me, they're almost at the bottom of the first page), you will see two visors for $311.17. These are the visors that include homelink. The difference is that one is for models with the vista roof, and one is for models without the vista roof (one says "Less sun roof" and one says "with high series open air roof).

Unfortunately I don't have the specific part number, but if you type "visor" in the search field and scroll down some (for me, they're almost at the bottom of the first page), you will see two visors for $311.17. These are the visors that include homelink. The difference is that one is for models with the vista roof, and one is for models without the vista roof (one says "Less sun roof" and one says "with high series open air roof).

• 2 weeks later...

so now that you installed it, how is it working? Any problems with interference with the Navigation? Does your visor light still work too?

so now that you installed it, how is it working? Any problems with interference with the Navigation? Does your visor light still work too?

The best way to answer this question is to say I can't tell it's not straight from the factory. It's functioned perfectly since I programmed it to three different doors, there is no interference that I can notice, and the visor lights still work.

Nice mod. Did this on my 94 850 with parts from an 01 V70.

BTW, anyone wanting to do this, you could find almost any car with Homelink - as long as the visor fits - and use those. I'm thinking there's another vehicle out there with black visors that has Homelink and similar measurements. It will take some time to find it, but I'm looking next time I hit the junkyard.

OK I did this mod on my 2001 Corvette but it was only $35.

What I did was buy a Homelink unit off Ebay, yep you can just buy the remote piece.

I carefully cut the stitches in the sunvisor to open it up and then installed the unit. Sowed it back up and it looked stock.

This link should help you out on the Edge too.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40470

$311.00 dollars ! What are you nuts?

You can pick up a rolling code Homelink unit on eBay for under $25.00. It not that hard to install the unit into your current visor. (For the real DIY guys) Or take the visor to an interior shop and they will do it for around $100.00. You will still be $186.00 ahead of the game at that point.

The units come in a few different colors. The "Rolling Code" models (newest model) can be identified by the house symbol imprinted around the red LED area. Make sure you get a rooling code type.

$311.00 dollars ! What are you nuts?

You can pick up a rolling code Homelink unit on eBay for under $25.00. It not that hard to install the unit into your current visor. (For the real DIY guys) Or take the visor to an interior shop and they will do it for around $100.00. You will still be $186.00 ahead of the game at that point.

The units come in a few different colors. The "Rolling Code" models (newest model) can be identified by the house symbol imprinted around the red LED area. Make sure you get a rooling code type.

You may think I'm nuts or that I'm not a "real DIY guy," but the fact of the matter is I'm practically a perfectionist with my car. I did not want to be able to tell in any way that this is not straight from the factory, and I'm pretty sure the only way to make it look exactly like a factory job is to replace the whole visor. I respect that you wanted to inform people of a cheaper option, but you don't have to undermine me.

What I did was buy a Homelink unit off Ebay, yep you can just buy the remote piece.

I carefully cut the stitches in the sunvisor to open it up and then installed the unit. Sowed it back up and it looked stock.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40470

I did the same thing on my Fusion. Bought a black Maxima visor with homelink off ebay for $35. Cut out the module and put it in my visor, wiring it into the vanity mirror.

I'm practically a perfectionist with my car.

Being a "Perfectionist" doesn't have to cost you an extra $276. I'm just letting other forum members know that there are other ways get the HomeLink installed that won't cost hundreds of dollars.

I personally installed one of these ($35.00 HomeLink from eBay) into a 2010 Ford Taurus. Oh, by the way, you would not be able to tell.

These visors are made from the factory to accept the HomeLink unit. The plastic inner frame work of the visor is all setup to have the unit snap in. The outer covering can be carefully pulled back to install the unit. On the Taurus, the outer covering getting tucked into the edge of the visor. There are no seams or stitching to play with. Any DIY guy can do this project. (Real or not)

http://www.digitalco...ead.php?t=40470

Thanks for the share.. I learn something new everyday.