Dr ColorChip and 3M Paint Defender review

Hollywood1

I just wanted to post a quick review of these two products for anyone that may be on the fence about using them.

The color chip system is simply amazing. After years if being stuck with blobby touch up paint pens this product is the real deal. I ordered the small squeegee with my kit also. My Sport is platinum white which is a three coat system, but the color match is dead on. I used the product exactly as the directions say and it was a breeze. Paint chips on the front of my truck are no longer visible from more than 3 feet away. A couple tips though. I had a few deeper/larger chips, and while this paint fills in the chip to protect from rust, it doesn't "fill" the chip. What I did was to glob a little extra paint in the chip and let it dry for a couple hours, then I wrapped the included cloth on a small sanding block and lightly rubbed the remover over the area. This left the paint in the chip, but took away the excess and made the glob virtually flush with the surface. I used the same method on a couple larger scratches in the rear bumper and they are now nearly invisible.

The 3M paint defender also works pretty much as advertised. I took my time to mask off the front as I didn't apply it to the black grill portion. I also used their prep package with the plastic sheet and covered my wheels. During my first attempt I sprayed it a little too thick in the front and got a couple runs, so after waiting an hour I removed it and tried again. 3M recommends 3 passes and I would say that 2 are sufficient if you pay close attention to your speed and the distance from your car. The stuff looks milky until it dries, but it is so clear that I couldn't get it to show up for pictures. After it dries it has a slightly rubbery feeling, but after a coat of wax it is very smooth. Keep a rag handy when you spray and hold it just under the spray nozzle and it will catch any drips from the can. (a common complaint)

BTW, I took a close look at the portion I removed and I would say from past experience with clear bras on my other cars, this is about 3-4 mils thick. The commercially available 3M clear bra comes in 5 mil and 7 mil, but when it is applied there is a clear hood line, and it is thick enough that dust accumulates along the edge and makes it very visible. I have gone over this product with my duster, and it is thin enough that dust doesn't build up along the edge.

I have no affiliation with either company.

• Like 1

I entered a post back in last fall, regarding Dr Color Chip, and stated how satisfied I was with the results. As a matter of fact, tonight, after supper, I just showed a neighbor what great results it gave, and he was amazed. To everyone out there, go for it !

In the past few days I have been reading reviews on various detail forums and automotive forums regarding the 3M Paint Defender. Seems to be a mixed bag, people either love it or hate it, no in between. Biggest complaint is that it drips from the nozzle or the nozzle gets clogged up, thereby causing a delay while trying to get the three coats of spray put on evenly. The other major complaint is that it is too thin, even when the directions were followed and 3 coats were applied. Some have said it is at most 2 mil thick compared to many clear bras of 8 mil.

One good point made by most is that is does even out and is pretty forgiving if you get it a bit too thick during the application.

Sounds like a good idea, but I will be holding off for a while until more improvements, or competitive items, come along. This is something which is supposed to only last up to 1 year and a few of the reviews said it was difficult to remove, even after they had applied the supplied wax to prep the car with before spraying.

Ordered Paint Defender yesterday. Also though about "neverwetting" it. I'm probably going to use the paint defender on the front end, entire hood, mirrors, and the little piece about the windshield, infront of the sunroof. Those will be the spots I focus on with the colorchip.