Question for Oakville employees

jrod

I was wondering what Oakville's December work schedule looks like. Are you guys working past December 11th? Cleveland is not, and it is my understanding that most of the company is going to be down most of December. The reason I am asking is that the last I heard, my Edge was scheduled to be built the week of December 4th. That was before the announced delay of shipment. Any help would be appreciated!! I'm getting anxious :hyper: :hyper:

I was wondering what Oakville's December work schedule looks like. Are you guys working past December 11th? Cleveland is not, and it is my understanding that most of the company is going to be down most of December. The reason I am asking is that the last I heard, my Edge was scheduled to be built the week of December 4th. That was before the announced delay of shipment. Any help would be appreciated!! I'm getting anxious :hyper: :hyper:

CHANCES ARE BECAUSE OF THE NEW LAUNCH. WE WILL BE WORKING RIGHT UP TO THE HOIDAYS.

THE DELAY IS DUE IN LARGE THE REQUIREMENTS TO PRODUCE SO MANY VEHICLES WITH IN AN ALOTTED TIME BEFORE ANY CAN BE RELEASED. wE ARE STILL TRYING TO ACHIEVE THE NUMBERS.

THE VEHICLE IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. gREAT BUY. THEY REALLY LOOK SHARP.

GOOD LUCK. :shift:

CHANCES ARE BECAUSE OF THE NEW LAUNCH. WE WILL BE WORKING RIGHT UP TO THE HOIDAYS.

THE DELAY IS DUE IN LARGE THE REQUIREMENTS TO PRODUCE SO MANY VEHICLES WITH IN AN ALOTTED TIME BEFORE ANY CAN BE RELEASED. wE ARE STILL TRYING TO ACHIEVE THE NUMBERS.

THE VEHICLE IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. gREAT BUY. THEY REALLY LOOK SHARP.

GOOD LUCK. :shift:

Are you near that number yet? My Edge has been built and is in a holding area. When will it be delivered?

Probably not for a couple of weeks...there are some minor issues that have to be worked out..OAC wants to make sure every Edge, MKX is 100%.

A couple more weeks??? We expected delivery on Oct 16. A couple of more weeks is two months too late.

The analysts on Wall St. are going to crucify Ford with another delay for their 2006 savior product, especially being the last CY quarter. Ford is in real trouble. The S&P just downgraded Ford's corporate debt to junk bond status. Ford management announced it will burn half of its cash reserves by 2009. Management is going to spend $17 billion USD through 2009 just to keep the lights on and doors open.

These dire straights explain why the Edge is 2 months slipped. Management is all about execution. It you can't deliver the right product at the right price at the right time, a competitor (Toyota, Honda, Nissan) will.

Inattention to execution explains the ridiculous choice to engineer Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) over anchoring it with 4-wheel ventilated discs. How can this CUV take longer to stop than an F-250? You can't fix stupid, and computer control can't make up for a mechanically flawed caliper/pad/rotor assembly. Moreover, lack of execution explains why the rags are reporting worse gas mileage than an Expedition EL.

I love this country. I want Ford to prosper. Sadly Ford is its own worst enemy.

A couple more weeks??? We expected delivery on Oct 16. A couple of more weeks is two months too late.

The analysts on Wall St. are going to crucify Ford with another delay for their 2006 savior product, especially being the last CY quarter. Ford is in real trouble. The S&P just downgraded Ford's corporate debt to junk bond status. Ford management announced it will burn half of its cash reserves by 2009. Management is going to spend $17 billion USD through 2009 just to keep the lights on and doors open.

These dire straights explain why the Edge is 2 months slipped. Management is all about execution. It you can't deliver the right product at the right price at the right time, a competitor (Toyota, Honda, Nissan) will.

Inattention to execution explains the ridiculous choice to engineer Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) over anchoring it with 4-wheel ventilated discs. How can this CUV take longer to stop than an F-250? You can't fix stupid, and computer control can't make up for a mechanically flawed caliper/pad/rotor assembly. Moreover, lack of execution explains why the rags are reporting worse gas mileage than an Expedition EL.

I love this country. I want Ford to prosper. Sadly Ford is its own worst enemy.

I work there I know how much trouble Ford is in...but they will be in a helluva lot more shit if they don't get this vehicle right. That's what we are doing, making it right.

BTW all car companies have had launches that were delayed..

Better late than recalled.

It's true that Toyota has a MUCH better history if reliability, but they have had a lot of quality problems this year. In fact, Toyota CEO Wantanabe (spelling?) bowed his head in shame in recognition of such.

Ford was downgraded to junk status (on one level or another) many months ago. They can't go down much further on Wall Streets ratings. That is, unless they released the Edge before it was ready. And they did not do that.

Automotive News covered why the Edge is running late in an article HERE. The buzz around Detroit is that Ford simply did the right thing and everyone expects the Edge to follow in the quality foot steps of the Fusion. :rockon:

Probably not for a couple of weeks...there are some minor issues that have to be worked out..OAC wants to make sure every Edge, MKX is 100%.

Charly, how about the vehicles that have already been shipped to holding areas in each state before they're shipped to dealers??

Are these scheduled to be in showrooms by Dec 14th??? :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...
I understand it will be the same wait for ALL the vehicles.

Charly,

Ours was built on 11/13/06, and sent to storage. Do you think it will be arriving later becuase of possible repairs that will need to be done. My understanding is that the vehicles produced in Dec. are the ones to arrive at dealers first(LIFO).

I'm sure that things are so messed up that they have no way of pulling and repairing sold orders first.

What do you think? We are going nuts. :sos:

Jagg55

Exactly, we are getting away from "Ship It Now, Fix It Later" that has screwed up other launches. Everyone at Ford understands how important it is to get this right and other vehicle launches. It's better to hold off rather than get BLASTED by the media and everyone when we fix it after launch. The Fusion last year got delayed a few weeks as well and look at the payoff, it beat Camry in Consumer Reports.

As for vehicles that got shipped and sent to storage, they'll be retrofitted before being released again. They are working everyday except Christmas to accomplish this. Retail orders are given first priority, however a certain vehicle can be deep in a lot. It's expected to have everything cleaned up and shipped by Feb so units built in the past week, this month and in January will probably arrive before previously built units. If you have a retail order, it might be a good idea to put in a duplicate order ASAP and have it built in January.

Exactly, we are getting away from "Ship It Now, Fix It Later" that has screwed up other launches. Everyone at Ford understands how important it is to get this right and other vehicle launches. It's better to hold off rather than get BLASTED by the media and everyone when we fix it after launch. The Fusion last year got delayed a few weeks as well and look at the payoff, it beat Camry in Consumer Reports.

As for vehicles that got shipped and sent to storage, they'll be retrofitted before being released again. They are working everyday except Christmas to accomplish this. Retail orders are given first priority, however a certain vehicle can be deep in a lot. It's expected to have everything cleaned up and shipped by Feb so units built in the past week, this month and in January will probably arrive before previously built units. If you have a retail order, it might be a good idea to put in a duplicate order ASAP and have it built in January.

What you are saying about Ford getting away from the "Ship It Now, Fix It Later" complex seems to be over :rockon: I went to a Ford holiday party a few days ago at the Fox in downtown Detroit and Ford management seems to echo that very clearly. In fact, I have heard this from not just Ford managers, but engineers as well.

I think your statement about the Fusion beating Toyota's best just sums it all up :yup:

What you are saying about Ford getting away from the "Ship It Now, Fix It Later" complex seems to be over :rockon: I went to a Ford holiday party a few days ago at the Fox in downtown Detroit and Ford management seems to echo that very clearly. In fact, I have heard this from not just Ford managers, but engineers as well.

I think your statement about the Fusion beating Toyota's best just sums it all up :yup:

I have no doubt that Ford quality is getting better. My last several vehicles were:

1996 Ford Ranger 4.0L v6 = 75,000 touble free miles. ( Brakes lasted 55K )

2000 Ford F150 Ext Cab 5.4L V8 = 65,000 almost ( air idler valve replaced ) trouble free miles ( twoing a 3800lb boat about twice a week )

2005 Mustang GT = Only 10K on it but I did add a Saleen Supercharger ( at 2.5k ) that up the HP from 300-500hp. Only problem is a couple oF dash squeeks and rattles. I am amazed that the stock engine/trans can handle an extra 200hp...

2005 Mercury Mariner = 24K almost trouble free miles. The fuel tank vent had to be replaced becaue it was inserted wrong and set off the emissions warning light. This happended in the first two days and was fixed in about an hour...

Having said that, Ford still needs to understand that most people still do not trust them. It is hard to change the minds of people burned in the recent past. Basically you have to convience them that they are wrong ( not an easy thing to do with Americans ) I have never heard someone say: "I wanted a Ford ____ but I settled for a Toyota/Honda _____". However, I have heard the reverse many times.

This points out the people tend to buy Fords only if they think that they are spending a lot less money for the compariable car. ( i.e. the big rebates that we have seen ) It is not really fair, but that it the reality. I agree that the 2006 Fusion was in general better than the 2006 Camry.

On the other hand the new 2007 Camry kills the Fusion with the 269hp V6 from the avalon and 6 speed trans under the hood... I have no doubt the Ford will put the new 3.5L in the Fusion/Milan, but they will be comming to the party 1-2 year after Toyota and that gives the impression of lagging behind...

Ford needs to realise that they need to do what the Koreancar makers did: Offer a lot more for less money for a couple of years and build your base, then raise the prices to be competative once you prove yourself. In my opinion, it is the only way for them to really gain any market share...

• 2 weeks later...