Front Grill

I m finally going to start doing some minor mods to my 2013 Sport. The wife and baby are away for two weeks so I m a free man. I m mostly concerned with my front grill. It s already black, but I heard of people wrapping the chrome section to match with vinyl. I also really like the idea of using Plasti Dip to paint the entire grill a matte black along with the chrome piece. I just heard of Plasti Dip for the first time today! : ) I m just curious how long this product will last. Or maybe I m better off taking the grill and chrome piece and having a body shop do the work.

I would recommend vinyl wrapping the top chrome, that's what I did. I've seen a full plastidipped grille on a white sport and it looked cheap compared to the gloss black look (no offence Celbine, it looks better on regular models!)

I am considering dipping my winter 17's and my emblems though as it can be a tough product; I dipped the chrome grille on my previous Jeep Compass and it held up well for 6 months or more, as long as you use 4/5 even layers

Plasti-Dip also has a glossifier to use with the matte paint to achieve a gloss look. Check out some of Cellbine's reviews on it. I'm pretty positive I remember hearing that it holds up well in car washes and winter, doesn't chip, and doesn't come off until you take it off. Check out the "DipYourCar" youtube videos.

*I'm planning on doing my grille, headlights, and roof with black and glossifier and then covering the hood, mirrors, bottom of the doors, and bumper with plain glossifier to achieve a sort of rock shield for the places I have lots of road rash on. After using Dr. ColorChip of course.

Edited by wannabang

photo 4

Good luck on the grill. Here is what I did. Ordered an unpainted Matte Black grill from Levitown March of 12 and I haven't done anything to it. Standard road rash but if it to the point where it look sandblasted I will paint it and put a barrier over it. I left the chrome top to give to break up the black grill and the black paint. I'm still toying with the idea of wrapping the top chrome at some point. $100 and 2 hours and it went from a stock SEL to this.

Good luck

Awesome stuff guys. Your edge looks sharp. I m not even sure if I can get Plasti dip around here. If I can I m going to black out the entire grille and chrome section. If I don t like it I ll try putting gloss to it. The beauty with this product is the ability to just peel it off if I don t like the end result and wrap the chrome with some vinyl. I want to do the emblems in the back as well. I m mostly just excited to try this plasti dip! ;)

I would recommend vinyl wrapping the top chrome, that's what I did. I've seen a full plastidipped grille on a white sport and it looked cheap compared to the gloss black look (no offence Celbine, it looks better on regular models!)

Absolutely no offense taken. I like/promote PD because it is a cheap alternative, provides protection, and is very forgiving. I can take it off any time I want with little effort and clean-up. Vinyl wrapping is the opposite. To each his own, and in the end it is your Edge. Do what you like best and what fits your budget :) Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...