Where my alarm system fails...

wannabang

Well, Friday night, I left my car unlocked as my buddy lives in a less-populated area a little ways back from the road. Car was opened up and stuff thrown about, but nothing was stolen.

So last night, my car was one of more than thirty that was broken into in my area in two weeks. It was the first or second time it had sat out over night at my house all summer. Just to give more of a shock, my area is a pretty decent area, suburb of Columbus, with most houses going for at least $300k. I live in a housing development, and eight cars were hit last night. My family caught them as they were breaking into mine. Broke the passenger and rear windows of my car, stole an ipod and GPS. The broke the rear one in an attempt to pull my subsystem out, which wouldn't have fit through the window, but they pulled it out of the screws that were holding it down and ruined the alignment of all the floor panels.

As described, the guys are two white males wearing baseball caps, driving a light-colored, late-model minivan with missing hubcaps, 6' 0"+ and looking strong enough to lift quite a bit.. I'm in the Pataskala/Pickerington/Baltimore/Reynoldsburg area, and have heard reports of car break-ins in Dublin. Also, we found a map that we turned into the police of highlighted areas on a map of Franklin County that essentially outlined more affluent areas just off of I-270. They have since used multiple credit cards of a neighbor of mine.

IMG_20130728_073123_zps424ca5de.jpg

20130728_034702_zpse03e685f.jpg

20130728_034718_zpsd3101e0d.jpg

20130728_050736_zpscdbd2cf3.jpg

IMG_20130728_035537_zps289f3b5d.jpg

I have a Viper 5904, and have contemplated adding the glass microphone and some Ace Security Laminate. If you're unfamiliar with the product, watch this video.

http://youtu.be/yMNYXhRDqO0

Take care, all, and be safe.

Edited by wannabang

Same MO all over in the pricier neighborhoods looking for cars outside, locked or unlocked. Credit cards, cash, GPS, phones or whatever they can get, it is either worth money or can be used as money (credit cards). This is a very common occurrence especially in metro areas.

It is amazing what people leave in their cars outside, even locked. You have to park inside a secured area or in a garage. This is what I

used to do before I retired. It was interesting to say the least. All it takes is an opportunity.

I'm sure you can cut through it. Regardless, we've since found evidence that they "pried" the window til it cracked, so they could push it in and not make as much noise. There are dings on each of the panels bordering the glass and the edge of the window next to the ding is totally gone, but the opposite edge is virtually untouched. Obviously they've had some practice. Gonna make sure insurance sees it. Currently, they're saying my deductible is gonna cover it all... I'll get the laminate if it's not too much more to install when I redo the tint, but I can imagine it will be.

I do have a garage. On this occasion, I came home to find our 14 year old van parked inside (it usually sits outside), and I was just too hungover to change them. When night rolled, just said "it'll be fine", since I don't think our neighborhood has seen any crime other than TPing and beer raids on garage fridges. Seriously, though, twice in 24 hours. That's gotta be a record of something.

**You can actually see the ding in the picture of the passenger window. Looks like a little scrape on the black door panel with a white chip on the inside of that panel.

Edited by wannabang

Thanks, man. I have $605 for glass repair since I have a thousand dollar deductible. Hopefully the clause about "windshield repair" will cover it, but y'all know insurance...

**Update on the case:

They struck again last night and a house with a forward-facing camera picked up their faces and the cops lifted prints. Of course, that will only help if they have definite suspects or if the thieves have priors. The media picked up on it and are releasing the story today, and officially mentioned it last night, so hopefully their next runs will be dry and people will be on the look out.

this is why both my cars have a $0. deductable.

sucks about your lose man. in all seriousness, your car is safer in any neighborhood that you would question leaving it in. Nobody in lower class neighborhoods drive around their neighborhood looking for cars to break into, they go into nice neighborhoods

Edited by Nick Halstead

Dingo, that is a good idea. I'll look into it and see how much it changes my bi-yearly costs. Being a college student...we'll just have to see.

Also very true, Nick. Unfortunately, I became accustomed to thinking my area was relatively crime free, just as Granville is assumed to be, but ever since Denison got robbed of computers during work hours... (joke's on the University though. They know it isn't very secured). Most of it includes TPing and underage parties where I'm from. lol

*Update*

Appraisal's done. Going to replace driver's and passenger's interior door panels, touch up the scratches and dings, reimburse me for the windows, and redo the tinting. I'll be paying my full deductible, but at least insurance gets hit a little, right? Appraiser was real nice, and briefly talked about waxing our rides and treating them well. He pointed out some dings on the driver's door that he said would probably call for a replacement. I'm happy. Now I just need to get it repaired before school starts, get the glass out of my seats, fix my false floor, and trouble shoot the back-up camera... dang.

Glad to hear progress being made. :) Gladder still when the perps get their due punishment for their misdeeds.

I'd be satisfied if they were sentenced to hand-picking the glass shards out of my seats and carpet, as well as every other car they busted into, without gloves and with a severely OCD supervisor. Cruel and unusual? Well, so was the crime.

• Like 1

Total damage: $2145, plus whatever they determine a new top center console trim to cost. I didn't expect it to be THAT much.

**edit: Also, after the fact, I intend on adding a proximity sensor, possibly tinting darker, changing up the sub stage, and the deductibles are being lowered to $250 comp, $500 coll.

Edited by wannabang