Not able to coast in gear without feeling "braking" effect

ls973800

When I test drove several new Edges last July, I noticed that if I took my foot off the brake to coast, the car would slow down quickly. It felt as if there was a drag on the car brakes, even though I was not touching the brakes. The salesman said it was due to the 20" tires and wheels.

I bought an Edge and within a day or two of owning it and reading the owner's manual, I learned that the drag effect was actually something to do with conserving fuel. It even said in the manual it would feel like the brakes were being applied.

How for the life of me slowing a car down (using the transmission I assume) instead of letting it roll unencumbered like most cars and trucks do saves fuel is beyond me. I am not one for shifting into "N" to coast, and the slowing down is something I have gotten used to.

I'm pleased with the MPG of my FWD Limited, but would it get better MPG if it could coast more instead of being restrained? Anyone know the logic of slowing the car down?