@normcloutier can you pos a picture or a video of the drl in front turn signal and with the 4300k hid? Thanks a lot!

The turn signal DRL will be the same as any Edge that you see driving around that has factory HID. I will try to post a couple pictures but it's difficult to show the HID. If its just color temp, then you may see that. I'll see what I can capture.

I just ordered 55w 6000k HID's from http://absolutehid.ca/ford-edge-hid-kit.html. I need really bright for some of the night driving I do. My other car has 6000k HID's as stock and I just love them.

Price is good and they contacted me to confirm that I had ordered the correct ballasts for my vehicle. Also, cheap shipping from within Canada so no duty charges.

Apparently they are just plug and play with a Canbus ballast which will work with headlights as DRL. But they also throw in a relay harness if you change DRL to parking lights.

Thanks Norm for the absolutehid.ca recommendation!

I'm curious... what kind of car do you have that has 6000K HIDs from the factory? Must be some sort of exotic because normal production vehicles from GM, Ford, Chrysler, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. all use 4300K for their HIDs (I'm not sure of the color temperature for those vehicles that are starting to use LED headlights). That's because glare increases and visibility drops off as you go into higher temperatures from there. The 55W HID kits tend to "wash out" a bit so a 55W 6000K will actually look similar to a 35W 5000K setup (more white, less blue).

Edited by TheWizard

My bad. I just looked at the specs. They are indeed 4300k. Acura by the way. I'm truly surprised. To be honest I thought they were 6000k only because they are very bright with just a hint of blue and look similar to a friends lights which are 5000k 35w but mine seem brighter.

I always was under the impression that 4300k was just off white, a little yellow? I assumed and made an ass of me. lol Learn something every day.

Edited by The Whedge

Yes, it is true that color temperature has nothing to do with the measurable intensity of the light but it does affect the effectiveness of the light. That's because the human eye doesn't handle blue light as well as the warmer colors so the higher temperature (more blue) lights appear to the eye to have more glare and less effective illumination of objects. By the time you get to 10,000K blue HIDs, you might as well have stayed with halogen for all the effective lighting they produce. It's also why blue lights on police vehicles are so noticeable - the eye sees more glare which catches their attention better.

Thanks a lot for you time @normcloutier

Just to be sure, I know you have the new LED DRL so thats why they are on on the first picture, but on the second picture, this the front turn signal are on as OEM DRL changed by the dealer when the car is running and finally, the third picture is night mode?

All correct?

Finally, for the 35w HID 9012 bulb kit, do you have the hi-low kit or it's juste low beam only? (because in the 9006 bulb kit, it's only the low bulb...)

It is sad to lose hi beam with hid...

Thank you

Yes, you don't actually lose high beam but rather have kick butt low beam as the bulb is full brightness all the time. The shutter moves in high beam mode to let the light shine further and higher down the road.

As for the pics, here is what they are in the order you see on the thumbnails.

1 - Daytime in park. LED DRL on at 100%

2 - Parking lights/running lights only. Same as pic 3 without the HID on. Turn signals dim and LED DRL at 70%. Also courtesy mode when unlocking vehicle. Amber portion of LED DRL flashes on unlock then white at 70%.

3 - Night time with HID

4 - Daytime DRL. Turn signal bright as dealer re-programmed DRL and LED DRL at 100%. Factory HID would have same amber, but no fabulous DRL LED in the bumper. Can't believe Ford dropped the ball on that one.

I have used the absolutehid 9012 4300k 35 watt kit for nearly 2 years with zero issues. I had the DRL function changed from headlight to turn signal before installing HID so I did not use a relay harness. I also didn't want to deal with all the extra wiring and relay under the hood for a 55 watt kit.

Since the voltage going to the headlight in my situation is 13.5 VDC, the ballast doesnt have any problem firing. If you have headlight as DRL, I would probably use a relay harness. The relay will have less issues with the pulsing DRL 10 VDC that the ballast will.

Be weary of tabs and trimming and return wire shadows from whatever brand you choose. The headlight assembly is a reflector so everything is inverted 180 degrees.

My HID kit has just arrived. Will be installing them soon.

The bulbs in my kit are labelled 9012 so hopefully the return wire is oriented correctly to avoid the shadow problem others have had (with 9006 bulbs). I've read elsewhere that the return wire should be oriented downward so the shadow of it will be up and therefore not in the beam on the road.

Norm, did you have to trim the tabs on your 9012 bulbs at all?

Edited by The Whedge

Yes I had to trim 2 tabs. See photo of OEM bulb. The black sharpie colored areas are what you have to trim. Shorten the entire big tab and take just the corner off the right one. You need to rotate the entire assembly one turn clockwise (top of the bulb towards passenger side). You want return wire at bottom so shadow is on top.

The pics of the lights shining on the white paper show the bulbs in original tab location (shadows) and then turned 1 tab clockwise (no shadows).

I ordered a spare HID kit and I see the bases of the bulbs are different. Tabs and return wire look to be the same as my original HID kit. If your return wire is at bottom with the bulb inserted without trimming tabs, then you should be OK.

post-22169-0-14379000-1411789462_thumb.jpg

post-22169-0-49115300-1411789629_thumb.jpg

post-22169-0-57634100-1411789641_thumb.jpg

post-22169-0-29434800-1411789654_thumb.jpg

post-22169-0-65521800-1411789672_thumb.jpg

• Like 2