Any OEM Hid Options?

I want HID's on the ride but I don't want to cut wires and attach relays and have to have wires hanging out the back of my light assemblies. Looks hack. Its a 2013 for crying out loud. I did all that on my 05 Trailblazer and 98 Jetta but not the '13.

I guess it would take some investigative work but I want OEM Ford HID. Seems like wishfull thinking that the HID Headlight assemblies would bolt right up. Its the same light, don't see why not. I think the ballast and ignitor are all in the housing. Wonder if the plugs are the same. And if anything has to be programmed into the car to recognize it. Doubtfull it aint no Bimmer.

Any one wanna chime in? Probably be an expensive upgrade like that but its OEM. I know a few must feel the same. I like it to look like it came like that from factory.

Shoulda gotten a SEL. Still like the car.

You may be able to get these cheaper through Levittown Ford Supercenter (sponsor on this site). A brief discussion of the HIDs starts here http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10937-employee-pricing-on-all-parts-accessories/page-4?do=findComment&comment=95412 but it is unclear if you can just swap the headlights in & out and be done, or whether additional hardware would be required. Perhaps a member with OEM HIDs would be willing to post some pics/info?

Not sure on US models but HID was NOT available on Canadian SEL nor was ambient lighting.

The ebay ones should be plug n play. The ballasts mount to the outside of the assembly but the cables pass through the side into the housing. The connector should be the same with the wiring for power, high beam shutter and side marker led's all on the one connector.

You would be best to speak to someone at a dealership just to be 100% certain

The aftermarket will absolutely look stock/OEM. Most kits include the grommets (just use a spade bit to make a clean hole in the headlight boot in the back) to seal the wiring in.

I have my ballasts mounted to the OEM location and all wires neatly hidden. You're wasting money, IMO, by buying the OEM. You can spend $50 - $150 on an HID kit (which looks great in the edge's projector lens) and another $1200 on other assorted goodies.

Hey guys a newbie here, i know it's been discussed over & over on this forum and from reading thread after thread finally someone

posted up asking if the OEM HID headlights can be swapped in place of one that has OEM halogen bulb headlights.

So if i got this correct from reading "candurin" you say it can be done by purchasing a new HID headlight assy set

(which includes headlight housings, hid bulbs, ballasts and harness) then just swap out old for the new and your done?

like a swap-plug-n-play and good to-go deal?

Yes i know aftermarket HID kits are cheaper and a more convent way to go....but if i wanted to go this route then i can?

That's what it sounds like. You'll just be paying a thousand bux!!! It is what I expected though. Came from an Audi/VW forum and to get OEM HID on my A4 was like a $1000 upgrade with housings and all. I thought it would be a little cheaper with a Ford but no dice. I'm going the Morimoto route and using the rest of the $$$ for DRL's, Painted headlight housings, color matched grill and other black stuff on car.

A lot of other stuff to get. Also like the Morimoto's wire harnesses. Look OEM. REal subtle.

• 2 weeks later...

If your car DID NOT come with HID you will NOT have the wires run to the each headlight plug for the HID power. There is a heavier gauge wire that is either red or red/brown going to the center connector on the plug that goes to each light. My factory halogen set up does not have that wire. I had to run one and install some fuse box terminals to F57 and F78 as shown below and fuses to have it work. Right now it is wired without a break to disconnect, I am waiting to find a broken lamp at a junk yard to get both sides of the factory connectors so I can add the harness pins in the connectors in my car and wire it in properly.

I posted a wiring diagram:

Wiring_zps79a9e8ae.jpg

Edited by 12Edge

I edited out circuit and connector info to make it less proprietary. Its from the official wiring diagram for the car. The radio is much more complicated and spans multiple pages and is also dependent on what kind you have.

PM me specifics, year, model of radio etc...

Edited by 12Edge

• 3 weeks later...

If you compare the HID wiring diagram page to the Halogen one the only difference is the extra Red and Brown/Red wires to each sides ballast from the fuse-box and of course the Ballast to HID bulb connectors.

The wires that normally go to your halogen bulbs are present in the HID harness and connected the same way they are in the halogen harness to the BCM/switch. They go to each sides ballast instead of the bulb along with the red or brown/red battery power and the ground. The ballast then connect directly to the bulb. This suggests similar functionality to an add on relay harness. The "same as halogen" wires power an internal relay mechanism in the factory ballast switching on the direct from battery power to the ballasts/bulbs.

When I looked at factory cost.... replacement bulbs from an auto parts store are $200 each. Then there are the ballasts. I have seen them for $100 used on eBay each. Then add in the bulb housings/projector units and wiring and it became astronomical. Even the morimotos with harness were 1/10 the the price of doing that!

Edited by 12Edge
  • Like 1