New Edge AWD owner, basic AWD question

thesolidman1

Hi, I just bought a new 2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD. First post. We got the AWD because we will be moving in the near future to a location that gets occaisional snow. Anyway, how does the AWD work? I have been told it is full time, and I have been told it "kicks in" when it needs to. I have checked the manual and the Ford website and see nothing. I know I don't need to do anything as far as operating it, I'm just curious as to how it actually operates. Thanks for your help

There is an "Intelligent AWD" readout on one of the DIC panels that indicates which axle is receiving power at any given time. As I understand it, the drive shaft rotates 1:1 with the front transaxle and a clutch in the rear diff controls whether to drive the rear wheels.

There are no switches or dials... The system uses various inputs to determine the torque distribution.

The key is "various inputs" as Limited59 mentions. It does more than just wait for slippage before engaging the AWD. It uses inputs like throttle position, steering wheel angle, vehicle speed and others to decide how much power to send to the rear. Hit the gas hard and it will pro-actively send more power to the rear, even before any wheelspin. I also think (but not 100% sure) that it will actually "learn" the weather conditions. Basically if it sees a lot of slippage in a short amount of time, it will adjust and start sending more to the rear.

Even while just cruising on the highway it will send ~5% to the rear.

Hit the gas hard and it will pro-actively send more power to the rear, even before any wheelspin. I also think (but not 100% sure) that it will actually "learn" the weather conditions.

Yes, I think it will always send some power to the back taking off from a stand still. Without the wheels turning it would be hard for it to know if you were on a low traction surface. I've owned a slip-then-grip type system on my 07 GMC Sierra with Autotrac. I felt none of that jerkiness with my Edge last winter. Same as my Terrain. Very smooth apportionment of power.

I suppose there's no reason for the system not be preemptive based on weather. Maybe ambient temperature in the winter, humidity and wiper use in the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted about my first experience with my 2013 SEL AWD having to use the AWD in snow last week in the owner impressions section.

I did notice that when I was on the highway where there was a lot of snow on the ground and pressed the gas pedal harder from being stopped it put all power to the rear wheels first.

It's very smooth in general, didn't notice any jerkiness.

Otherwise in normal conditions it always puts some to both front and back starting out and then shifts to the front.