Poor call quality from Sync mic

tirlty

My wife has a 2013 Edge Limited with Panorama roof. Sync Mic is located to the right of the visor in the head liner. Visor covers about 1/2 of the mic when closed. Call quality is so poor from excessive road noise that when I call or wife places a call you can hardly hear her without her speaking extremely loud! Son has a 2013 Explorer Limited with same roof but mic is located directly above the visor/driver and is as clear as if were speaking directly into his phone.

Call quality is so bad on the Edge that most of the time we do not complete the call until she pulls over and places the call directly from her phone. Has anyone had an issue like this. Dealer says no other complaints. I requested a mic kit for an Explorer to bypass the Edge mic location. However, it appears there was a TSB in 2011 to move and Edge mic to the visor. TSB 09-13-5 SYNC - CALL SOUND QUALITY/BACKGROUND NOISE ISSUES. Any advice or solution would be appreciated. Love the Edge other than this issue. Mic is worthless!

TSB 09-13-05 covers 2008-2009 Fords & mainly installs a new mic to the place were the current models have them (same position like your car).

In addition to s=taking it to your dealer, I would suggest first to update the MyFord Touch to the latest update. Also, regarding the visor, the visor "slides" on its rod to extend when blocking sun from the side. The visor might not be seated fully back when it stowed & hence covering your mic.

Thanks for the replys. Did give the TSB to Service Manager at Dealership. His response was that there are not enough #'s to look it up on their system. Most current updates are installed. The visor is completely retracted and locked in place. The mic on the 2013 faces the drivers side front windshield post at an angle in the head liner. When setting in the drivers seat and you look at the mic, only half of it is visible unless you actually release the visor and swing to the drivers window to get a direct unobstructed view.

Called the Service Manager from the car while driving. He could not understand what I was saying without me actually hollering over the road noise he experienced on his end. He admits there is a problem.... They seem to be at a loss for answers.

Requested a wiring diagram from the dealer for the mic. If no solution from the dealer I will get the 2013 Explorer mic kit or even an Edge replacement mic and mount it above the visor/driver,(like the Explorer) vs on the side of the center bulge in the headliner. Obviously this seems to be an isolated issue or others would have posted here... I was hoping to not have to (do it yourself) but that may be the only answer.
The attached photo in the link above shows the location of the mic after install of TSB. The Edge mic location (if in this picture) would be located in the side of the console where the dark visor shadow is and forward next to the windshield.

My brand new MKX sounds fine driving in the city but everyone complains that they can't understand what the heck I'm saying when I'm on the highway. I've gotten in the habit of hardwiring my DROID to the auxiliary jack when driving on the highway. Most cell phone microphones are far superior to Fords junk. Kinda defeats the purpose of sync when ya gotta hardwire!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys. Did give the TSB to Service Manager at Dealership. His response was that there are not enough #'s to look it up on their system. Most current updates are installed. The visor is completely retracted and locked in place. The mic on the 2013 faces the drivers side front windshield post at an angle in the head liner. When setting in the drivers seat and you look at the mic, only half of it is visible unless you actually release the visor and swing to the drivers window to get a direct unobstructed view.

Called the Service Manager from the car while driving. He could not understand what I was saying without me actually hollering over the road noise he experienced on his end. He admits there is a problem.... They seem to be at a loss for answers. ...

Hello tirlty,

PM your full name, mileage, VIN, and servicing dealership. I want to see if there's any other recourse we can take to help you out.

My brand new MKX sounds fine driving in the city but everyone complains that they can't understand what the heck I'm saying when I'm on the highway. I've gotten in the habit of hardwiring my DROID to the auxiliary jack when driving on the highway. Most cell phone microphones are far superior to Fords junk. Kinda defeats the purpose of sync when ya gotta hardwire!

Hi fishx65,

This might be something we can troubleshoot. PM your VIN and I'll provide some steps to try, based on the version of SYNC installed.

Antonio