Is the transmission self adjusting?

dckotwicki

Ongoing transmission question...

Do the transmissions in the Edge monitor and re-adjust based upon driving conditions and alternating drivers? I have noticed (a few days ago) a possible sliping in between gears. My wife had been driving the car, then I drove it.

I have not noticed it since.

I am not sure if I am posing the question correctly, but have been told that these transmisions sort of "self monitor and adjust".

Anything to this?

Ongoing transmission question...

Do the transmissions in the Edge monitor and re-adjust based upon driving conditions and alternating drivers? I have noticed (a few days ago) a possible sliping in between gears. My wife had been driving the car, then I drove it.

I have not noticed it since.

I am not sure if I am posing the question correctly, but have been told that these transmisions sort of "self monitor and adjust".

Anything to this?

Assuming these trannies operate like previous Ford trannies - they do not learn driving styles and will not behave differently with different drivers. What they will do is compare the time it takes to perform each shift (from gear, to gear, rpm, throttle position, etc.) and compare it to the factory spec and the computer will adjust the shift pressure to keep the times in spec. This will account for manufacturing differences and for wear over time. If you and your wife drive differently (more or less throttle, etc.) then it's possible that the learning is more or less complete for one of you. But that should even out over a few days or weeks.

Again - that's how they've worked in the past on the Lincoln LS e.g. and I would assume the new ones do the same.

Assuming these trannies operate like previous Ford trannies - they do not learn driving styles and will not behave differently with different drivers. What they will do is compare the time it takes to perform each shift (from gear, to gear, rpm, throttle position, etc.) and compare it to the factory spec and the computer will adjust the shift pressure to keep the times in spec. This will account for manufacturing differences and for wear over time. If you and your wife drive differently (more or less throttle, etc.) then it's possible that the learning is more or less complete for one of you. But that should even out over a few days or weeks.

Again - that's how they've worked in the past on the Lincoln LS e.g. and I would assume the new ones do the same.

I noticed that mine seems to slip between gears also. I feels kinda like a drag in between gears or something. Wasn't sure if I should take it in or not...

I noticed that mine seems to slip between gears also. I feels kinda like a drag in between gears or something. Wasn't sure if I should take it in or not...

This slipping is not normal. Took mine in for the same problem and they are waiting for an answer from Ford for a fix. It will get worse the longer you go and will begin to happen every time you drive. I have an appointment with the service manager next week. Hopefully he has some answers. I will keep you posted

This slipping is not normal. Took mine in for the same problem and they are waiting for an answer from Ford for a fix. It will get worse the longer you go and will begin to happen every time you drive. I have an appointment with the service manager next week. Hopefully he has some answers. I will keep you posted

My vehicle has not acted up since the first episode (twice in two days).

I am still observing.

When I called the ford dealer, I was told that there was nothing they could do if it could not be repeated. So far, I can't get it to repeat.

Please... keep me posted.

I am hoping this is a fluke and not the beginning of transmision issues...

Mine had a slight hesitation today between the 1-2 shift with the gas pedal floored. This is the first time I've ever noticed it. Is this the slip ya'll are talking about? I only have about 2k miles on it so far. I don't know if its normal or not.

andy

Yep... That's what I'm talking about. It is really annoying! My old 165hp GrandAm is faster than this 260+ hp, $30k+ auto that I just got and its driving me nuts!

If someone hears something please let me know. I really don't want to take it to the dealer again, but if I have to I will...

Don't know if this is what you are all talking about, but are just at 2k miles on our Edge, and today for the first time, wife was driving and felt a "kick" either between 1-2 or 2-3 shift. It almost felt as if you lifted right as the tranny was shifting. It was just a hard shift.

Might be the same thing, but I don't even have 1k on mine yet but when it is "shifting" the Edge "pauses" for a second or so. I hit the gas and it just does nothing.

It's getting on my nerves. Might have to take it in for the dredded "s" word. Ugh.

• 3 weeks later...
My vehicle has not acted up since the first episode (twice in two days).

I am still observing.

When I called the ford dealer, I was told that there was nothing they could do if it could not be repeated. So far, I can't get it to repeat.

Please... keep me posted.

I am hoping this is a fluke and not the beginning of transmision issues...

We I brought it to the dealer, they had no idea what the problem was. They called the Ford Plant and they told them to order a bunch of parts for the transmission and start replacing one at a time until they find the problem. (didn't have that good fuzzy feeling after hearing that). Parts where a two week order so I brought the vehicle back for a second time. They did the replacement and the hesitation was still there (after three days in the shop). I am bringing it back again on Tuesday. I only live about 15 minutes from the Oakville plant so they are sending in a group of engineers from the plant to look at it. Got this sneaking suspicion my vehicle is becoming the test subject for a lot of these problems.

I will keep everyone posted as to the findings. Hopefully they find the problem and it will solve alot of the issues I am seeing on line.

Wish me luck......

My car went to the shop for 11 working days just 2 weeks ago? I had a burning smell and they said it was a transfer case or PDU seal leakage. The flashed my computer and then stated that the slip from 1-2 on the tranny is gone. It use to shift hard (like the tranny was falling out) from gear 1-2 when everything is cold. That was under any kind of load. Now, during load ( like up a hill or something), it fits fine, but when on flat ground, it doesnt extend its run in first gear to where it shoulds and shifts super early and a clunk happends. Has anybody had the same probs and got it fixed. I got to bring it back again on Tuesday. So far 14 days in the shop in the first 6 months. If they have it for another 16 days in the next 6 months, lemon law and ill get a new edge. Should have waited till they got the kinks out before buying a new model.

My car went to the shop for 11 working days just 2 weeks ago? I had a burning smell and they said it was a transfer case or PDU seal leakage. The flashed my computer and then stated that the slip from 1-2 on the tranny is gone. It use to shift hard (like the tranny was falling out) from gear 1-2 when everything is cold. That was under any kind of load. Now, during load ( like up a hill or something), it fits fine, but when on flat ground, it doesnt extend its run in first gear to where it shoulds and shifts super early and a clunk happends. Has anybody had the same probs and got it fixed. I got to bring it back again on Tuesday. So far 14 days in the shop in the first 6 months. If they have it for another 16 days in the next 6 months, lemon law and ill get a new edge. Should have waited till they got the kinks out before buying a new model.

My MKX has been in the shop for the same problems and The first time It was in for 1 week, (they changed the transfer case gasket or something) This time it has been almost 4 weeks and they claim they can't find the problem and are getting no codes from the transmission. I know for sure it is slipping. Does anyone know the lemon law if I bought the car in Ohio, but I live in WV.

Anyone with any answers would be great! I'm getting tired of paying for Sirius Radio and not even getting to listen to it. I forgot what my car even looks like. I have been in a rental car for over a month.

Thanks

We I brought it to the dealer, they had no idea what the problem was. They called the Ford Plant and they told them to order a bunch of parts for the transmission and start replacing one at a time until they find the problem. (didn't have that good fuzzy feeling after hearing that). Parts where a two week order so I brought the vehicle back for a second time. They did the replacement and the hesitation was still there (after three days in the shop). I am bringing it back again on Tuesday. I only live about 15 minutes from the Oakville plant so they are sending in a group of engineers from the plant to look at it. Got this sneaking suspicion my vehicle is becoming the test subject for a lot of these problems.

I will keep everyone posted as to the findings. Hopefully they find the problem and it will solve alot of the issues I am seeing on line.

Wish me luck......

Any answers yet?

• 1 month later...
Any answers yet?

Bought an SEL Plus, have 1800 miles on it. Getting 18.8 on the highway, calculated when I fill up, not on display. No tranny problems on shifting, but when you put this thing in park it rolls 1 foot until it clicks and locks into park. Does this 75% of the time, taking it in tommarow, think it only needs an adjustment. Other than that this thing is a rocket, and shifts great. I drive 80mph on the highway to work in KC Missouri and in Kansas where the roads suck....