ABS And Snow

trigg

damn what's up with the abs and snow.. slid right down a hill into a plow bank and some trees. the car wouldn't slow down and couldn't turn.

tired to pump them as well and just wouldn't slow down. even on a straight road the car just slides when applying the brakes.

been going down that same hill every winter for the past 13 years. Honda accord and a dodge stratus R/T with abs. wife went down the hill right before I did in a highlander. no issue. never had an issue like that.

I get this car and there it goes right down like a freakin sled. unreal

tires are AS. didtn think I was going to fast BUT maybe I was for what this car would be capable of stopping .now I know. stop at top of hill and ride brake till at bottom.

this car is downright risky in the snow you need to give at least 10 yrds for car in front. wow. not good.

You mentioned you have 22s with the Sport, right? Not much sidewall action there, even with A/S, not so good. Can you list the specs on your tires? Normally you want narrower tires on smaller wheels for best traction in snow.

What tires are on the Highlander? That is comparable in weight to the Edge. I still think you should get better performance from the Edge.

I have had no problems on hills/flats with snow/ice etc, but then I also ride the brakes a bit when going downhill, to control speed & increase following distance.

had about an inch of snow on driveway other day on a "slight' incline. I figured I would see if the car can be controlled going down.

at the top I engaged the brake and was able to go down slowly. the second I let go of brake to see if it would re-engage the freakin thing slid again with no way to stop it. this can't be normal. must be something wrong with the abs system where it's just unable to get the car to stop. this car is downright dangerous in snow.

i'll have them looked at as this is ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

It's called ice with wide non-winter tires on a heavy vehicle.

Ha its called winter. All season tires are no substitution for winter tires.

Why would you think ABS will help you stop on snow? If there's no traction there's no traction and ABS won't help. Snow tires help the most but you still have to drive carefully.

Blaming the driver and the tires is BS. When it happens to you, you'll remember this post. I've personally experienced ths OPs situation a few times in 3 different Fords, once today in fact. I almost went off the side of a mountain. Putting it in PARK saved me and my family. I was actually going for reverse but overshot. Was creeping down a steep winding mountain driveway with fresh snow and chains on the rear tires. The ABS system worked as usual last night and this afternoon. This morning however, there was no braking action, no pump, nothing just rolling down the mountain picking up speed and out of control. There will be no ABS on the way down tomorrow!!

Edited by akirby
Language