Mileage and gas tank capacity

acisne

I bought a 2013 SE FWD about a month ago and have 3000 miles on it. I know that the mileage is going to be low in the break in period, but I am getting 21.7 at best. 99% of my driving is highway at 60-70mph in relative flat highways. Also, I have filled up 8-9 time and the most I have been able to put in the tank is 13.7 gallons. Most of the time I drive it down until it tells me I have less than 10 miles left, yet no more than 13.7 gallons go in. I read in the manual that it has an 18-19 gallon tank. What gives?

Thanks!

My 2013 ALWAYS shuts the automatic pump nozzle off when there is still 2-3 gallons I can squeeze in. There is a thread somewhere on the boards about the problems some of us have being able to fill it up completely. I can do it, but it might take 6 or 7 times of restarting the pump after it auto shuts off.

I have found that I have to check the info screen to see how much fuel I've used, and then know how much to put in after the shut off. The fuel used on mine is within .2-.4 gallons every time of what I actually finally squeeze in. I have never overfilled or had fuel come out of the filler tube, even after adding such a large amount of more fuel after the first shut off.

Some owners say the vent tubes or something may be plugged. I've never found anything on mine since day one. I have tried filling with the gas nozzle held all the way in, partial in, held high or low in the filler tube, etc. Nothing has allowed filling up the tank completely without additional restarting on my part.

omar302 also has a good suggestion. Reset your trip mileage computer each fill up. That will give a more accurate MPG reading. I always reset my "A" trip, but keep the "B" trip cumulative for the 5000 miles between oil changes.

• 1 month later...

I bought a 2013 SE FWD about a month ago and have 3000 miles on it. I know that the mileage is going to be low in the break in period, but I am getting 21.7 at best. 99% of my driving is highway at 60-70mph in relative flat highways. Also, I have filled up 8-9 time and the most I have been able to put in the tank is 13.7 gallons. Most of the time I drive it down until it tells me I have less than 10 miles left, yet no more than 13.7 gallons go in. I read in the manual that it has an 18-19 gallon tank. What gives?

Thanks!

My 2013 ALWAYS shuts the automatic pump nozzle off when there is still 2-3 gallons I can squeeze in. There is a thread somewhere on the boards about the problems some of us have being able to fill it up completely. I can do it, but it might take 6 or 7 times of restarting the pump after it auto shuts off.

I was having the same problem!!! I would fill up and noticed the gauge going down too fast .. Like Is97 mentioned, I noticed the other day when the pump clicked that I was able to pump another 3 gallons in my tank by manually doing it. Now I see my fill ups last longer.

Hey all,

Have you discussed your concerns with the dealer? Let me know and I'll look into available options.

Todd

Edited by FordService

No, I've never mentioned it to a dealer. I've never mentioned the problem with the ambient light choice changing by itself after a week or so either. Having had a discussion with them once about what type of oil they use for The Works Package (finally told it was Valvoline). Come on, Ford makes a big deal on their owner's web site that the Works is Motorcraft synthetic blend with a Motorcraft oil filter. Of course, this is the same dealer who wouldn't sell me a Ford ESP saying they only carried their own "brand" policy. I have no real ambition to let them play with my vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary.

I'll live with the little problems until someone posts a sure fix, then I might take mine in.

Ford makes a big deal on their owner's web site that the Works is Motorcraft synthetic blend with a Motorcraft oil filter. Of course, this is the same dealer who wouldn't sell me a Ford ESP saying they only carried their own "brand" policy. I have no real ambition to let them play with my vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary.

I'll live with the little problems until someone posts a sure fix, then I might take mine in.

I understand your frustrations. If you'd like me to document your dealer feedback for internal review, let me know.

Todd