Transmission Sport Mode

moataz2812

The attached files provide fuller description of the 6-speed SelectShift automatic transmission's non-automatic function, marketed as "Sport" mode on 2013 & 2014 Edges and marketed as "Manual" mode on 2011 & 2012 Edges and 2011-to-2014 MKXs...

Good luck!

2013 Ford Edge Source Book - Transmissions Page.pdf

2012 Ford Edge Source Book - Transmissions Pages.pdf

• Like 1

Based on the similarity of the descriptions of "Sport" & "Manual' modes in the Source Book references, I expect they're functionally identical.

Depending on the model year and the vehicle model, the shift mode indicator says either "S" or "M" and the driver's selection method is either the steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters or the rocker switch on the shifter handle.

It's all about providing the driver the ability to modify the gear change timing so long as the driver's selection does not bring harm to the engine or transmission.

Relating to this feature, there is probably a programming difference between transmissions mated to 3.5L engines (Edge) and 3.7L engines (Edge Sport & MKX), in order to prevent over revving the engine when the driver fails at properly timing an upshift or downshift.

But I don't think you need to feel cheated if you have "Manual" mode on your shift indicator, which was what it was also called on 2011 & 2012 Edge Sport models.

I think this is simply a Marketing decision to call it "Sport" on the newer model year Edges.

The Marketing folks must believe Edge buyers prefer having Sport mode, while MKX buyers are satisfied with Manual mode.

Good luck!

• Like 1

@Haz,

There is difference in function. The manual mode part, shifting with the buttons/paddles when the shifter is in "M" (2011/12) or "S" (2013/14) is similar for both. BUT, the "Sport" mode in 2013/14 adds 2 new features:

1. When first shifting to "S" (before pressing any shift button or paddle) the transmission enters "Sport" mode which changes the shifting patters, i.e. delayed upshifts and earlier downshifts, hence its called a Sport mode. When a button/paddle is pressed, the transmission then goes to manual shifting mode similar to the 2011/12, shifting would be controlled by the buttons/paddles. 2011/12 will immediately enter manual mode once the shifter is put in "M".
  2. When the shifter is still in "D", with a 2013/14, pressing the shift button WILL make an upshift/downshift, temporary manual mode, after a certain period of time, the transmission reverts back to fully automatic mode. Pressing the buttons in a 2011/12 while in "D" has no effect.
  • Like 2

@Haz,

There is difference in function. The manual mode part, shifting with the buttons/paddles when the shifter is in "M" (2011/12) or "S" (2013/14) is similar for both. BUT, the "Sport" mode in 2013/14 adds 2 new features:

1. When first shifting to "S" (before pressing any shift button or paddle) the transmission enters "Sport" mode which changes the shifting patters, i.e. delayed upshifts and earlier downshifts, hence its called a Sport mode. When a button/paddle is pressed, the transmission then goes to manual shifting mode similar to the 2011/12, shifting would be controlled by the buttons/paddles. 2011/12 will immediately enter manual mode once the shifter is put in "M".
  2. When the shifter is still in "D", with a 2013/14, pressing the shift button WILL make an upshift/downshift, temporary manual mode, after a certain period of time, the transmission reverts back to fully automatic mode. Pressing the buttons in a 2011/12 while in "D" has no effect.

I have to try no.2 to check if it's working or not ?!

Edited by moataz2812

I used the Sport mode this morning on the drive to work. Took a slightly longer, more hilly way to test it out. Loved it. A lot more beef to the engine, slower upshifts & downshifts...great on hilly backroads and as a FWD owner I think this would work well in the snow.

I did try quickly yesterday to see if the shifter button would work while the car was in "D" but I didn't notice any change in the engine. Maybe the button needs to be held in for a moment? I'll mess around with it the next time I drive.

I did try quickly yesterday to see if the shifter button would work while the car was in "D" but I didn't notice any change in the engine. Maybe the button needs to be held in for a moment? I'll mess around with it the next time I drive.

I can't get it to work while i'm in "D" either...at least I don't notice any change.

The 2014 Edge Source Book adds this encouragement to dealership Sales Reps, saying the capability exists with 3.5L & 3.7L engines, meaning Edge Sport and other Edge models are included...

"Make The Point: SelectShift Transmission Sport Mode - When conducting a test-drive with Edge, be sure to show the customer how Sport mode operates, providing the performance of a manual transmission without the fuss of operating a clutch. Point out how the SelectShift automatic transmission works in harmony with the 3.5L and 3.7L V6 engines. Also take the time to show the customer how the display in the instrument cluster indicates the gear selection. SelectShift Sport mode is a performance feature the Edge enthusiast customer is sure to appreciate."

The 2013 Edge Source Book page that I attached in an earlier post says it more explicitly, this way...

"Make The Point: SelectShift Transmission Sport Mode - When conducting a test-drive with Edge, be sure to show the customer how Sport mode operates, providing the performance of a manual transmission without the fuss of operating a clutch. Point out how the SelectShift Automatic transmission works in harmony with the 3.5L and 3.7L V6 engines. Also take the time to show the customer how the display in the instrument cluster indicates the gear selection. And don’t forget, SE, SEL and Limited models operate Sport mode from a switch on the transmission shifter while Sport includes the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. SelectShift Sport mode is a performance feature the Edge enthusiast customer is sure to appreciate."

Since 2012 on MKX, the transmission mode continues to be described as "Manual". Steering wheel-mounted shift paddles were added as standard equipment to MKX in 2013 and they continue as standard for 2014.

Lincoln describes the 2014 MKX's paddle shifter operation this way...

"ELECTRONIC SIX-SPEED SELECTSHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION WITH PADDLE ACTIVATION - The six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission with paddle activation is a racing-inspired feature that includes steering wheel-mounted “paddle” shifters that enable the driver to select Manual mode and change gears up or down without using a clutch.
• Paddle activation complements the six-speed automatic transmission, which offers short first and second gears for impressive launch and acceleration, plus tall override gears for fuel economy
• Helps increase acceleration and/or braking effect on the engine
• A squeeze back on the right paddle will deliver an upshift; a squeeze back on the left will induce a matched-rev downshift"

It would be interesting to hear from someone with a 2013/2014 MKX in order to learn if the newer Lincoln "Manual" mode includes the enhanced performance automatic shift profile that newer Edge owners are describing as a benefit of the 2013/2014 Edge's "Sport" mode.

Good luck!

2014 Ford Edge Source Book - Transmission Page.pdf

2014 Lincoln MKX Product Portfolio - Performance-Handling Page.pdf

Edited by Haz

Haz,

I agree that "Sport" mode & "selectshift" manual mode are both in the 2013/2014 SE, SEL, Limited & Sport models.

What I meant was the "Temporary" manual mode which enables manual mode just by pulling a "paddle" without even shifting the shift lever to "S".

This "Temporary" manual mode is only in Sport models that have the paddle shifters. It is also stated in the 2013 MKX owners manual.

Did two trial runs without touching up/down switch on my 2012 MKX's shifter while in "Manual" mode.

The transmission only upshifted at the tachometer's redline and it only downshifted when vehicle was brought to a stop.

It was quite a wild ride, red-lining up to 4th gear.

Good luck!

• Like 1

My 11 Edge had the manual mode with the rocker switch. No sport mode... You had to use the rocker in M.

In my 13 MKX there is an S gate where the M was on the Edge. Sport mode makes the shifts crisper and I believe changes their timing for more aggressive driving. It will still shift for itself unless you start using the paddles. Then it stays in a manual mode and only responds to the paddles.

While in regular D you can use the paddles to summon up a downshift or if you want to up shift. It only stays in a manual mode for a handful of seconds before reverting back for full auto.

• Like 2