2009, new(er) owner, ready to trade in...Problems.

briandye

Was looking for a 2nd vehicle (One for me, one for GF), and saw my 2009 AWD Limited Edge at the dealership. Fell in love, it has nice black 20" Forte rims and it's AWD which is what I wanted, due to my long highway travel to work and our nasty winters.

Noticed a small black stain on my driveway where I park, checked all fluids, nothing is low, or black for that matter. What could this be? It's been dripping for quite some time now, but very slowly, like a couple drips per overnight park it looks like.

I'm also having a "grinding" issue with the brakes, all pass appear to be good, but I have quite a nasty grind when I first stop after sitting overnight, but worse than the occasional surface rust clearing off like I see on a lot of cars. I'm reading tons of EXPENSIVE problems with the brake boosters and master cylinders on this vehicle, which scares me to death. We just bought a house so I'm a bit tapped out for the time being and don't want some thousands of dollars in repairs. Thinking about trading this thing in already!

What could that black drip be from? It's an AWD 2009 if I haven't already mentioned that. Thanks!

Plus I hate the gas mileage on this thing. My 2013 Charger with the 5.7 Hemi blew this thing away gas wise. (And speed wise LOL).

I love the Edge but I'm getting ready to turn the GFs leased vehicle in, and get me an F250, and she was gonna take the edge but I really don't want to put her in it knowing about all these possible huge issues.

Do you have warranty coverage on your Edge? The leak/drip is either an axle seal leak or a leak from the PTU vent. In either case, you need to have it serviced ASAP. Will definitely kill mileage. If out of warranty, could possibly have the PTU modified so that you can flush/change the PTU fluid easily. Look for posts by the_natrix to explain further.

Brakes do tend to be noisy after the Edge has been sitting for a while, and you have had some COLD weather in your area. Changing out the pads/rotors with non-Ford parts usually resolves that issue. Keep an eye on the brake fluid level, that will tell you if there are any leaks to be concerned about. If a caliper is dragging, you can usually feel the difference in wheel temps right after hard braking, though I don't know due to the temps in your area. That would cause decreased mileage as well.

Was looking for a 2nd vehicle (One for me, one for GF), and saw my 2009 AWD Limited Edge at the dealership. Fell in love, it has nice black 20" Forte rims and it's AWD which is what I wanted, due to my long highway travel to work and our nasty winters.

Noticed a small black stain on my driveway where I park, checked all fluids, nothing is low, or black for that matter. What could this be? It's been dripping for quite some time now, but very slowly, like a couple drips per overnight park it looks like.

I'm also having a "grinding" issue with the brakes, all pass appear to be good, but I have quite a nasty grind when I first stop after sitting overnight, but worse than the occasional surface rust clearing off like I see on a lot of cars. I'm reading tons of EXPENSIVE problems with the brake boosters and master cylinders on this vehicle, which scares me to death. We just bought a house so I'm a bit tapped out for the time being and don't want some thousands of dollars in repairs. Thinking about trading this thing in already!

What could that black drip be from? It's an AWD 2009 if I haven't already mentioned that. Thanks!

Hey there briandye,

Have you been to the dealer for this concern? I'd like to look into avenues of assistance on my end; please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

We'll get this figured out.

Todd

• Like 1