Front end noise....need help

2008 Edge SE 2WD w/ 70k on the odometer

Love this vehicle, but have noticed a "whir" coming from the front and I have a few questions.

I'm posting this as I just want to make sure that I'm chasing the correct problem and don't have to just take the shop's word for what's wrong.

I never mind paying for work to be done as long as it fixes the problem!!

A constant "whir" comes from the front end starting at 40 mph and starts to quiet down around 75.

I know it's not the tires as they are new and the sound is present not matter the road condition (rain, snow, dirt, or brand new blacktop).

When I make wide right turns, like when going around the cloverleaf to get on the highway, the noise is completely gone. When making any type of left hand turn (at speed) it's there!!

My first thought is wheel bearings, but it's just a whir and no grinding or play in the wheels.

I did get quoted $250 per side for then to just press in new bearings. Seemed high!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Brian

Edited by firefightermtn

Could be wheel bearings, or a pulley bearing. Whirring sounds are not typical of a wheel bearing. BUT, if it is directional (turning left), then most likely the RIGHT wheel bearing (opposite side) needs to be replaced. The part itself can be $80 or more, cheaper if mail ordered thru Levittown. I just priced both bearings at $132 shipped to MD. Both hub assemblies would be $150 shipped. Talk to Benny/post on their thread for more info.

If the price quoted includes bearings, that is a good price based on Repairpal estimates.

Best solution. Hey under the car safely. Pull on ask the linkages. Use a big Crow bar. Pry on every ball joint and linkage. If we everything is tight. .. wheen bearing most likely. Don't assume wheel bearing instantly without eliminating any joints. If you got a joint that is loose it will throw your wheel alignment off on one wheel and cause that noise.

[ATSE] Automotive Tree Shade Excellence

lol

Edited by 2011edgese

I have replaceed wheel bearings (two on the right side and one on the left rear) The noise you describe is a wheel bearing. I would replace it. I am also now starting to hear noise on the right rear and will most likely be replacing that wheel bearing soon. My left front wheel bearing would be the only one that is original then at this point. I may also replace it just because it has 230,000 miles on the bearing and it most likely will be needing replacement soon.