What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

Just wish there was a way to update the thread title to "what to expect at 260,000 miles" I am beginning to think I am going to take this car down the road for a while longer and now believe the 500K might be in the light at the end of the tunnel. I fuly expect to be over 300K this time next year, easily.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to change out the Serpetine belt and power steering belt at the end of the month. I will post a few photos of the belts and maybe even make a video of the job on my youtube. Thought some of you would like to see a few photos of a serpetine belt with over 265,000 miles on it and the condition it is in after I replace it. Going to change out the tensioner also. Who knows maybe the whole car will collapse because the serpetine belt is what is holding it together. LOL. Wish me luck as this is the first time I will be working on it. Thankfully the army base has a skilled mechanic on hand at the skills shop to bail me out should I get in over my head.

• Like 1

This is what a PCV looks like after 264,000 miles. Overall it rattles just like the one I replaced it with. I would say I most likely did not need to replace it, but for 5 bucks what the heck. If you want to know what I went through to replace it please refer to the post under the 3.5l engines in the forum and look for the PCV replacement. I linked two youtube videos showing the location and then the removal/installation. I would have picked a better location for the placement, but maybe the Ford engineers felt placing it under the intake and near the firewall was a great location.

post-28743-0-08011400-1421545649_thumb.jpg

post-28743-0-46110900-1421545657_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This last week I have been noticing my brakes in the right rear seem to be grinding and I get a sensation of grabbing. Next week I will inspect them when I get done replacing the serpetine and power steering belts and the tensioner bearing. The rears only have about 35 to 40k miles on them, but I chose to have the rotors resurfaced and not sure about the quality of pads the repair shop installed. The fronts only have about 90k miles on them, but I had new rotors and i believe the pads were a carquest brand. I will video the serpetine belt and power steering belt replacement and post a link to my youtube on this form topic. I may even have a brake video if the brakes need replacement. We need more Ford Edge repair videos!!!

• Like 1

I feel silly. After 4 months of my aftermarket remote not working I finally took it to the installer and within 1 min she came back and said "all fixed" I said what was wrong and she asked me if I had a bad battery or replaced it? Yep in October, which is when the remote stopped working. Apparently all it needed was a quick reprograming. Warmed car in the morning is a great thing....

Since I am so curious as to the state of the 3.5L engine condition I have ordered an oil analysis kit. $25.00 to have a lab test the oil and find out just how much wear and tear this engine has on it. I will post a video review of the results once I change the oil (Two weeks?) Then one week for the results to come back. This should be very interesting and let me know just how much life is left in the engine. My current track and due to changes in my client numbers and scheduling should have the 300K mark being reached earlier than expected. ETA to 300K might be as early as August.