What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

Great first day out (no bambi's) 275 miles and running good. Noticing for a while some play in right front wheel. Tie rod or ball joint? I will have to get it up on the lift to see what is loose. Everything is fairly new less than 70k miles so I will see. Not the first time a new part has failed. I had a local mechanic rework the right side and have had several problems. I reworked the left side (drivers) and have not has any issues. Makes you wonder.

Edited by macbwt

The biggest is the front passenger side I had to stop and check as the left hand curve and the handling that I was getting during the turn seemed a bit sensitive and sudden. I kicked the front area of the tire and noticed some movement. I then kick the left front and no movement. Tie rod? or ball joint. The ball joint is a MOOG the tie rod is a motor craft brand or master pro not sure which but thinking it may be the later one. If so I am putting money on the tie rod. Easy fix I can mostly do int he driveway. Then again it could be the more likely culprit of the inner tie rod which has 272,000 miles on it. What ya think innie or outie? lol

Edited by macbwt

Not the news I was expecting. Tie rods are good. Seems the MOOG lower control arm ball joints on both the right and left side are worn with the right side being the worst and needing replacement soon. Only good news is the MOOG parts are under warranty and I am ordering the new ones then sending the old ones back. Bet ya can't guess what my next video topic will be? LOL So if you do not know how to replace a lower control arm on a 2007/8 and whatever Ford edge you will be seeing one side which is the same as the other being replaced along wiht sway bar links. Figure a week or so for them to get in then one saturday to work on it. Plus I am having some tire wear on the rears so I will most likely be replaceing the rear shocks since I am going to be putting on my summer tires.

Ā 

Moog lower control arms made it about 60k miles before failure. Cost is $70.00 each. Full replacement warranty

Ā 

Ford replacements are $231.00 each no warranty to speak of as I was informed. If so very short warranty but no lifetime.

Ā 

I have already done this job once so a second time should be a little quicker. Not much rust on the bolts LOL

Ā 

Only about four or five bolts all together I believe to remove. I do not have the PDF instructions, but would like them so I can include them in my video on this project> Akirby WWW? (you need a shorter name) LOL

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

It is really a stupid system that I have to replace an entire control arm just because the ball joint is worn out. Engineers are not that smart in this case. They could design it that way but I do not know why they don't.

I thought Ford parts now have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty? And no way I'm shortening my name, I just don't subscribe to that theory of life :) I can try to PM you the PDF, let's see.

With a few issues needing immediate action on the 2008 Edge it seems to pop into my thoughts of just how much I am willing to do to keep it running and reliablity. Gas cap light came back on at half a tank. This happened several month back and I replaced the cap then the light went off. The gas cap should not be bad. Can not help but think this is related to the fuel tank leaking and allowing small enough amounts of air to escape but yet not leak.

I just replaced it about October or so. Only been 6 months and now it is on again. I am beginning to feel replacement parts are all junk. Why would the cap only work for 6 months then fail again. Or is there a small leak in the tank and now that the weather has warmed up the gas is expanding again more than it did before during the winter season? A small pin hole would do this without permitting much gas to flow out if any if the hole is at the top of the tank. Gas expand greatly due to temp so now that it is warm it is showing up again. When I replaced it before it was still about as warm as it is now. Then during the winter the light never came on.

I had to replace the gas cap on my 06 Fusion at around 5 years. They do fail.

Both times the light came on while I was driving about an hour into my drives. Put a new cap on and it took forever for the light to go off but it did eventually. Right now the gas cap light is the least of my actually worries.

Ā 

On the ball joint of my right front. Not good at all. Decided to stay in hotels till Friday just to limit the miles. Praying it holds. This time I am a bit worried it will fail while driving. I got to get done this week then park it till the new part comes in. Then I am mailing the failed control arm back to Summit Racing for a replacement and on hand control arm for future use. Optimistic NO?

For those who monitor this subject in the Ford Edge forum. I will do my best to create a video of the removal and replacement of the Passengers side (right side) lower control arm/ball joint/sway bar link. Keep in mind removal of the sway bar link will be an tool removal then a saws all as I am not going to mess with it but just cut it off (saves time) besides that they are usually all rusty and difficult to work with anyway. I will video this one as it is the same thing for the other side. Hoping I will have an assistant to help me. Preteen camera girls can be finicky (on good days).

• Like 1

This one is really really bad. Wheel wonders on turns and acceleration. This one went from slightly bad to terrible in just a day. It is bothersome as I know if this ball joint fails at speed the damage will be severe. Even at low speed it will not be good. At minimum I will lose the axel shaft/strut etc.

Ā 

I think you will have better luck than having to use a bra as a fan belt :) I thought the noise was minimal at this point?

Edited by macbwt

Hey look what I found on Rockauto.com I can just buy the ball joint for my Moog control arm and do not have to buy the whole control arm. The autoskills center has the pressing tools so this may have just become easier. I will check it out further later next week.

post-28743-0-39876900-1426114342_thumb.jpg

• Like 1