Evolution Performance, Inc - Custom Tuned Ford Edge - More Power and Torque!

Not sure if anyone would be able to answer this question. But if the Ford Edge have the capability of higher octane and better MPG why wouldn't ford incorporate this into the car instead of buying a product like Evolution Performance Custom Tuned SCT X3 which is going to run you 400$ deep. I mean if you can get the capability of gaining better horsepower and MPG all by a program, why buy a third party after market product to do so?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I didn't get any feedback from anyone regarding the Evolution custom tune, I went ahead and ordered one.

Ā 

I ordered the tune on Monday of this week and I got it three days later via Fedex.

I installed the tune upon receipt of the delivery and it was extremely easy.

The whole process took about fifteen minutes.

The hand held XCT tuner unit firsts uploads your stock tune into the unit, then it downloads the custom tune of your choice.

Ā 

I installed the 89 octane custom tune for now to see how it works. The unit came with tune for 89, 91, and 93 octane.

After the installation of the tune I immediately saw a big difference in the throttle response and what feels like more torque.

Ā 

When you push down the accelerator you can feel yourself sink into the seat.

I'm not sure exactly what the HP gain is because I'm not going to dyno test my car.

A piece of computer printout doesn't compare to actually feeling a change in the vehicles response and power.

Ā 

As I posted previously, I'm not interested in fuel savings, but it seems that I'm not smashing down the pedal in order to get the same acceleration.

Once this tank of fuel is used up, I'll jump up to the 93 tune to see if I feel any difference.

Ā 

thanks for the info...

Ā 

so, did you run the tank nearly empty of 87, fill with 89, then load the tune? Or did you load the tune with 87 and mix in 89?

Ā 

93 seems like it would be very hard to find (can't recall even ever seeing it) while 87, 89, 91 are common options at the stations. So, why would you not want a tune for the default 87 to see what it did for improvement on 87 (base level), then make you other two 89 and 91 which are easier to find?

thanks for the info...

Ā 

so, did you run the tank nearly empty of 87, fill with 89, then load the tune? Or did you load the tune with 87 and mix in 89?

Ā 

93 seems like it would be very hard to find (can't recall even ever seeing it) while 87, 89, 91 are common options at the stations. So, why would you not want a tune for the default 87 to see what it did for improvement on 87 (base level), then make you other two 89 and 91 which are easier to find?

Ā 

I already had 89 in the tank from the beginning of the week when I got the tune. (89 is my standard, or economy that I fill up with)

Around me the standard at the pump is more often than not; 87,89,93.

I only find 91 at Sunoco by my house.

Ā 

I figure that I'll jump up to 93 at the next fill to see if their is any difference in performance.

BTW, the unit comes with three tunes of your choice; 87,89,91,93.

Ā 

The best way to explain how the vehicle feels now is this: when your driving a standard vehicle in 2nd gear and your about 60% - 70% into the gear (higher rpm's) and you get that instant response and thrust from the vehicle; it lurches forward.

Ā 

I hope my explanation doesn't confuse you. :wacko:

Ā 

Anyhow, I'll post anything else thats interesting.

I already had 89 in the tank from the beginning of the week when I got the tune. (89 is my standard, or economy that I fill up with)

Around me the standard at the pump is more often than not; 87,89,93.

I only find 91 at Sunoco by my house.

Ā 

I figure that I'll jump up to 93 at the next fill to see if their is any difference in performance.

BTW, the unit comes with three tunes of your choice; 87,89,91,93.

Ā 

The best way to explain how the vehicle feels now is this: when your driving a standard vehicle in 2nd gear and your about 60% - 70% into the gear (higher rpm's) and you get that instant response and thrust from the vehicle; it lurches forward.

Ā 

I hope my explanation doesn't confuse you. :wacko:

Ā 

Anyhow, I'll post anything else thats interesting.

Ā 

NYedge - sorry I wasn't on in a while and didn't see your earlier post or I could've given you some feedback sooner. I'm in Queens and have been running the 87 tune now for about 2 months. I too only care about performance not mileage, but I refuse to pay the half buck difference between 87 and 93 (too many people I know own gas stations, it ain't what you're paying for). I agree there is a great uptick in torque, step on it hard and I'm smoking the tires, but that's probably also because I still have the Nokia Hakka snow tires on it. When I switch back to the Goodyear eagle triple treads I'll see if it still does that, but you do feel more torque steer with the tune than stock. The rev limiter is taken off in all gears and press it hard and she'll accelerate clean up to @6800 in any of them. Passing is unbelievably quick now, no stutter and wait for the tranny to decide what gear it wants to be in before it actually engages. I am finding a bit of a throttle lag maybe a second or two in first gear are you? I will wait until the summer to make sure all the mtbe/ethanol is out of stations tanks before running the 89. I have a fwd 2007, that never will see the dealer again Popular Ford in Brooklyn, typical scum of the earth car salesman/dealer. Next up is a set of H&R sport springs and anti sway bar.

NYedge - sorry I wasn't on in a while and didn't see your earlier post or I could've given you some feedback sooner. I'm in Queens and have been running the 87 tune now for about 2 months. I too only care about performance not mileage, but I refuse to pay the half buck difference between 87 and 93 (too many people I know own gas stations, it ain't what you're paying for). I agree there is a great uptick in torque, step on it hard and I'm smoking the tires, but that's probably also because I still have the Nokia Hakka snow tires on it. When I switch back to the Goodyear eagle triple treads I'll see if it still does that, but you do feel more torque steer with the tune than stock. The rev limiter is taken off in all gears and press it hard and she'll accelerate clean up to @6800 in any of them. Passing is unbelievably quick now, no stutter and wait for the tranny to decide what gear it wants to be in before it actually engages. I am finding a bit of a throttle lag maybe a second or two in first gear are you? I will wait until the summer to make sure all the mtbe/ethanol is out of stations tanks before running the 89. I have a fwd 2007, that never will see the dealer again Popular Ford in Brooklyn, typical scum of the earth car salesman/dealer. Next up is a set of H&R sport springs and anti sway bar.

Ā 

I haven't noticed any throttle lag as of yet, but I'll let you know if I do.

Ā 

As for your plans on the drop; do it a.s.a.p., the car feels totally different.

I have my stock tires & wheels now because of all the salt on the NY roads.

The car is much more stable with the stocks wheels, but once I put my chromes back on with the wider tires, it sticks like glue.

Next mod for me is the sway bar also.

I haven't noticed any throttle lag as of yet, but I'll let you know if I do.

Ā 

As for your plans on the drop; do it a.s.a.p., the car feels totally different.

I have my stock tires & wheels now because of all the salt on the NY roads.

The car is much more stable with the stocks wheels, but once I put my chromes back on with the wider tires, it sticks like glue.

Next mod for me is the sway bar also.

Ā 

Springs are sitting in the back of the car, I was waiting for the sway bar to get everything done at once but it's been on backorder since early Jan from tirerack. I'll bring it in to the station this week to switch to synthetic oil at 4500 miles, takeoff the snows and install the springs. My wife hates the way the car handles, but then again she drives a vw gti. I'm hoping the lag was the mtbe in the gas over the winter doesn't seem as pronounced as it was earlier in the winter.

I have a question for those that possibly work at a service department.

Ā 

When you plug the car in and scan the OBD for error codes, does it show that the programming has been modified? Meaning, if you use an aftermarket tuner then remove the tune when you put take it in for service, sure the dealer might not see the tune, but can they see that it's been modified in some way? I would think if it can show a history of error codes it would show a history of modifications too.

I have a question for those that possibly work at a service department.

Ā 

When you plug the car in and scan the OBD for error codes, does it show that the programming has been modified? Meaning, if you use an aftermarket tuner then remove the tune when you put take it in for service, sure the dealer might not see the tune, but can they see that it's been modified in some way? I would think if it can show a history of error codes it would show a history of modifications too.

Ā 

From what I have read, yes, they can see you have made a modification.

Ā 

The talk has even come up about erasing the tune, uploading the default tune prior to going to the dealer, then reupload your tune when back from service.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Now, I was curious though, I thought I also read that there is a limit to how many times these devices can upload tunes? is that true?

Ā 

So by that logic, shouldn't any modification/tampering to the system by an unauthorized party have a possible effect on the warranty?

Ā 

They don't have to be able to see what you've done, just that it's been tampered with.

Ā 

That's a slippery slope to play with in the warranty period of a new model of vehicle in my opinion.

Yes, if they put their scanner on it they will see a code whether you take the tune out or not... Most of the time they are fine with it unless you blow your motor (won't happen with this tune 100% sure, unless you alter it somehow)...

Ā 

You can take the tune out and put the tune in as many times as you want... There is a limit on how many times you can use the tuner to tune other vehicles you own... If you sell your Edge/MKX and get a tune for your next vehicle you can use the same tuner... You can use it up to 5 times.

Ā 

The talk has even come up about erasing the tune, uploading the default tune prior to going to the dealer, then reupload your tune when back from service.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Now, I was curious though, I thought I also read that there is a limit to how many times these devices can upload tunes? is that true?

Ā 

No limit, I have one for my 06 Mustang and have installed the tune many times and the tuner still reads 5 to go. At least that's with Brenspeed's tunes. I don't believe Brenspeed does Edges yet.

No limit, I have one for my 06 Mustang and have installed the tune many times and the tuner still reads 5 to go. At least that's with Brenspeed's tunes. I don't believe Brenspeed does Edges yet.

Ā 

true..there is no limit.

Ā 

here is how it works on my 6.0 Diesel

Ā 

The SCT is one of the tuners that dont leave 'footprints' like lets say, BANK'S,EDGE or BULLY DOG will..they are very traceable.. so out of the 4..the SCT leaves the 'smallest' footprint in the PCM..and there are only a few people who are tech that are trained on how to find them..Thats just not what Ford trains there tech to look for..

Ā 

Like was said above..unless you bring your edge in with a blown motor..you aren't gonna have a problem.

Ā 

And professionally written tune will NOT ..I repeat will NOT blow your motor. UNLESS you have made adjustments after the fact.

I installed the 89 octane custom tune for now to see how it works. The unit came with tune for 89, 91, and 93 octane.

Ā 

originally, the cat that started this thread stated he has been working on these specific tunes: "87 Octane-Fuel Economy, 87 Octane-Performance, 91 Octane-Performance, and 93 Octane-Performance." and then '3 Custom Tunes of your choice. 87 Octane-Fuel Economy, 87 Octane-Performance, 91 Octane-Performance, and 93 Octane-Performance.'

Ā 

now, you mention above the tunes you got. so, to get yours did you specify something specific to them for your 89 tune as he does not mention an 89 option or is that a new option? if you did, what was your direction to them.. straight performance?

Ā 

keep us posted. I would really be curious if someone trys a 'fuel economy' based tune to see what you really get and how badly it hinders performance to get said economy boost. I think all indications are clear that performance boost tunes are noticeable, but a report on economy based would be cool.

originally, the cat that started this thread stated he has been working on these specific tunes: "87 Octane-Fuel Economy, 87 Octane-Performance, 91 Octane-Performance, and 93 Octane-Performance." and then '3 Custom Tunes of your choice. 87 Octane-Fuel Economy, 87 Octane-Performance, 91 Octane-Performance, and 93 Octane-Performance.'

Ā 

now, you mention above the tunes you got. so, to get yours did you specify something specific to them for your 89 tune as he does not mention an 89 option or is that a new option? if you did, what was your direction to them.. straight performance?

Ā 

keep us posted. I would really be curious if someone trys a 'fuel economy' based tune to see what you really get and how badly it hinders performance to get said economy boost. I think all indications are clear that performance boost tunes are noticeable, but a report on economy based would be cool.

Ā 

Lex,

Ā 

The tune choices are 87,89,91,93.

While I personally don't monitor my MPG that often, I did go on a 5 hr. highway driven round trip this weekend and here were the circumstances and results.

Ā 

Passengers: 2- adults, 2- kids.

Travel speed: 75 - 85 MPH

Road conditions: 70% flat, 30% graded. (approx.)

Weather: raining 1 way. (limited resistance)

Auto climate controls on for entire ride. (air compressor working)

100 lbs. +/- extra stuff in the rear cargo area.

Ā 

I reset my trip MPG on the control panel when I got onto the highway and was traveling at 60 MPH.

During the first 1hr. of the trip I averaged 23 -24 MPG mainly because the road was flat.

The final trip result which was all highway was 21 MPG.

Ā 

Overall considering the conditions of the roads, passenger and cargo weight, climate system working, weather, travel speed, etc..,

I was pleased with the results. I know that when I'm driving the car by myself, I get better MPG and the steering wheel even feels lighter.

Ā 

I've also kept an eye on the 2nd MPG gauge, and it has gone up 1 MPG recently.

I'm sure that someone else can do a much better job with testing MPG gains with a tune, but I do drive a bit aggressively and every driver will have different MPG based on their driving habits, terrain, usage of A/C, etc.

Ā 

Based on my previous MPG and the current MPG, I fell that I may have gained 1 - 1.5 MPG after the tune.

Keep in mind that I do not track my MPG nearly as much as some other members, but I do think their is an increase in MPG.

Ā 

I bought the tune for performance, and I'm very satisfied with the results.

Lex,

Ā 

The tune choices are 87,89,91,93.

While I personally don't monitor my MPG that often, I did go on a 5 hr. highway driven round trip this weekend and here were the circumstances and results.

Ā 

Passengers: 2- adults, 2- kids.

Travel speed: 75 - 85 MPH

Road conditions: 70% flat, 30% graded. (approx.)

Weather: raining 1 way. (limited resistance)

Auto climate controls on for entire ride. (air compressor working)

100 lbs. +/- extra stuff in the rear cargo area.

Ā 

I reset my trip MPG on the control panel when I got onto the highway and was traveling at 60 MPH.

During the first 1hr. of the trip I averaged 23 -24 MPG mainly because the road was flat.

The final trip result which was all highway was 21 MPG.

Ā 

Overall considering the conditions of the roads, passenger and cargo weight, climate system working, weather, travel speed, etc..,

I was pleased with the results. I know that when I'm driving the car by myself, I get better MPG and the steering wheel even feels lighter.

Ā 

I'm sure that someone else can do a much better job with testing MPG gains with a tune, but I do drive a bit aggressively and every driver will have different MPG based on their driving habits, terrain, usage of A/C, etc.

Ā 

Based on my previous MPG and the current MPG, I fell that I may have gained 1 - 1.5 MPG after the tune.

Keep in mind that I do not track my MPG nearly as much as some other members, but I do think their is an increase in MPG.

Ā 

I bought the tune for performance, and I'm very satisfied with the results.

Ā 

was this still on your 89 tune?

Ā 

so, your suggesting (not scientifically I understand) that your results show both a personally noticeable straight performance improvement (your prime goal) and a slight mpg increase (despite just aiming for performance) both on a 'performance' oriented tune?

Ā 

Not that you can answer this, but I would also be curious as to any difference that might arise between an AWD and a FWD. For example, I wonder if your performance (throttle off the line) is more noticeable with AWD than one might find on FWD. And I wonder if your assumed mpg increase is less for your AWD than one might gain from a FWD.

Ā 

this has certainly peeked my interest. Please, keep providing data as you learn along the way how this unfolds for you. nice to have someone with an actual edge conducting this real world use tests.

Ā 

Hi NYEdge. :D Glad you are enjoying your new Edge.

Ā 

I just wanted to point out one thing. You mention in your previous post that you have "kept an eye on the 2nd MPG gauge, and it has gone up 1 MPG recently."

Ā 

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but the Edge (like most cars) has only one "Average MPG" readout. I believe the other readout you are speaking of is the "Average MPH" (Miles Per Hour) readout. It is a readout for the "Average Speed" (in MPH) the vehicle has driven since it was last reset.

Ā 

Here is the description of the Message Center readouts from the Owners Manual (page 111 of the copy I used):

Ā 

Info menu

This control displays the following

control displays:

ā€¢ Odometer

ā€¢ Trip Odometer A or B

ā€¢ Distance to Empty

ā€¢ Average Fuel Economy

ā€¢ Average Speed

ā€¢ Compass (if equipped)

ā€¢ Trip Elapsed Drive Time 1 or 2

Ā 

You will notice that there is only one "Average Fuel Economy" (Average MPG) reading. The other is "Average Speed" (MPH).

Ā 

Just thought I would mention this, in case you are confusing the two.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi NYEdge. :D Glad you are enjoying your new Edge.

Ā 

I just wanted to point out one thing. You mention in your previous post that you have "kept an eye on the 2nd MPG gauge, and it has gone up 1 MPG recently."

Ā 

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, but the Edge (like most cars) has only one "Average MPG" readout. I believe the other readout you are speaking of is the "Average MPH" (Miles Per Hour) readout. It is a readout for the "Average Speed" (in MPH) the vehicle has driven since it was last reset.

Ā 

Here is the description of the Message Center readouts from the Owners Manual (page 111 of the copy I used):

Ā 

Info menu

This control displays the following

control displays:

ā€¢ Odometer

ā€¢ Trip Odometer A or B

ā€¢ Distance to Empty

ā€¢ Average Fuel Economy

ā€¢ Average Speed

ā€¢ Compass (if equipped)

ā€¢ Trip Elapsed Drive Time 1 or 2

Ā 

You will notice that there is only one "Average Fuel Economy" (Average MPG) reading. The other is "Average Speed" (MPH).

Ā 

Just thought I would mention this, in case you are confusing the two.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Ā 

Ā 

Now that you mention it...I think your correct.

Actually I'm sure your correct.

Ā 

My bad. :P

Ā 

Well anyway, I was pretty content with the MPG under the circumstances.

Yep, that's it.

Ā 

Thanks a lot, NYE.

Ā 

I've got the same Edge just like yours, Black 07 SEL+ AWD, BAMR, but without any mod yet. Next step would be DIY headrest dvd and EVO tuner. Since I drive a lot, 11,000 miles in the 1st 6 months, I will be more interested in the fuel economy tune. The highway mpg you described in the other post are exactly what I currently get without any tune. I am hopeful for a 10% improvement after the tune.

Ā 

How do you like driving your perf. tuned Edge with current sky high gas price? Here in MI, 87 regular just hit $2.49 this week (no name brand at 2.39~2.45), Ouch!

Thanks a lot, NYE.

Ā 

I've got the same Edge just like yours, Black 07 SEL+ AWD, BAMR, but without any mod yet. Next step would be DIY headrest dvd and EVO tuner. Since I drive a lot, 11,000 miles in the 1st 6 months, I will be more interested in the fuel economy tune. The highway mpg you described in the other post are exactly what I currently get without any tune. I am hopeful for a 10% improvement after the tune.

Ā 

How do you like driving your perf. tuned Edge with current sky high gas price? Here in MI, 87 regular just hit $2.49 this week (no name brand at 2.39~2.45), Ouch!

Ā 

I'm totally satisfied with the performance of the vehicle.

As far as mileage: Here in NY the price for gas is around $3.55 for 87 octane, $3.65 for 89, $3.75 for 93 .

I own and operate a construction company and run five trucks, 4 of them are diesel.

With diesel around here running $4.85/gallon, It can easily cost $400 to fill up a tri-axle dump truck. :banghead:

That being said; I don't really mind spending around $60 to fill the Edge.