Factory DVD headrest installation question.

I just bought a brand new in box set of the factory Invision DVD headrests from a Ford dealer for $600. It was an option the wife wanted when we did our factory order, but I refused to pay $2000+. I agreed to eventually find and aftermarket alternative, but this factory set was too good a deal to pass up.

I am going to install it myself, it seems simple just from looking at it. The only connection I am unsure of, is where the plug that taps into the factory harness plug for power goes. From the length of the wires it should be one of the kick panels.

I was hoping if someone with a factory system can take a peek under their seats and see which direction their power cord goes.

post-25754-0-79143200-1397506140_thumb.jpeg

post-25754-0-45856200-1397506204_thumb.jpeg

post-25754-0-46329900-1397507476_thumb.jpg

Edited by jmacd27

Although this is not of the OEM setup, you can see the wiring used here:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/3162-diy-dvd-headrest-install-with-pics/

Thanks for the link, I did come across it in my searches. I would rather use the tap harness pictured instead of cutting in to wires. I'm sure I'll find the proper connection point with some poking around, just trying to make life easier if someone knows where their tap is hooked up.

Wow! Where'd you score it for $600?

I small dealer a couple hours north of Toronto had it ordered in by mistake. He was looking to get rid of it because he says there is no market for them in the boonies. He was asking $800 but there was a misunderstanding between he and I with another used tan set of headrests he was also selling for $500. We agreed on the price after a little negotiation. :)

Got a chance to pull of the kick panels today. The plug to tap into the factory harness is on the drivers side, easy to get at and it will be easy to remove if I ever want to uninstall the system. Not having splice into the factory wires is nice.

I'll finish running and hiding the wires another day. Too cold here in Toronto to be fishing wires in a cold car.

• Like 1

The box should be under the drivers seat. It is a small thin 3x4 black box. The drivers side dvd should be the red and white connectors, the passenger should be blue and black. Switch the connectors and see if the problem follows and moves to the other side. If it does then the Dvd is bad. It the problem stays on the same side the box is bad.

Edited by jmacd27

Thanks jmacd27 but i looked under the seats and indeed the white and red are drivers side and blue and black on passenger side. No sign of the box though. I followed a wire and i think that the box might be under the center console in front of the car so not accessible without removing it.

• 4 weeks later...

Jmacd27, I went the same route and bought a new set of Invisions on eBay for my 2011 mkx I tore apart the console and then realized that it doesn't splice behind the radio like my 08 mkx did. wife was hit head on @50+mph so the 2011 mkx is the replacement. Which plug did you connect to? There are a few that look the alike. Thanks, mike

Jmacd27, I went the same route and bought a new set of Invisions on eBay for my 2011 mkx I tore apart the console and then realized that it doesn't splice behind the radio like my 08 mkx did. wife was hit head on @50+mph so the 2011 mkx is the replacement. Which plug did you connect to? There are a few that look the alike. Thanks, mike

If you remove the drivers side kick panel, and look at the junction box beneath it. It was the bottom right connector. It is the only connector that is close in size to the adapter plug you would would be using. The connector will only fit in the proper plug as all the connectors are shaped and sized differently.

Good luck.

Thanks, she's doing well. I have it installed now. The connector is grey in the lower right side of the driver side kick panel and it's the only one with the same end. I would probably still be looking for it. The adapter has more wires than the actual plug and is not color coded. I called invision and they wouldn't help and the DVD players don't come with instructions, only a dealer login website link.