Transmission Slip

mcali6301

TSBs do not have implied warranties. Must be explicitly stated on the TSB that it is covered by Ford. If you have a Ford warranty and the components in the TSB are covered, the total cost - any deductibles are covered. As far as dealer inspection fee, that is incumbent on the dealer; some charge, some don't. They will want to replicate the symptoms mentioned in the TSB first. If they have a great relationship with you, they may work with you anyway.

This is what I have. .. bought it Ford certified used with 20k miles. They have me a pamplet and dealer seller said its 100k powertrain warranty on all ford certified cars. Pamplet says " relax! Its ford verified! 100k power train warranty!"

From reading this. .. does that mean it's free of charge ?

My car is still under the 5/60 warranty so it is free! I did not take the TSB with me, I forgot it on my desk...haha.....We took out the 7/100 extended warranty god forbid something else happens, when we purchased.

I only told them that I had slipping and rough shifting issues, they asked me if I also had rough accel issues and I said yes even though I didn't really...

I called for an update and they told me what the issue was and fixed it....Either they were able to re-create it OR they probably already knew the cause..(The service adviser said that the transmission department is the busiest so perhaps they are used to these isssues)

I concur with the comments above, each TSB has a specific mentions on wether it is done for free (under warranty or not). Most of the time they are not free if the vehicle's warranty has expired. Keep in mind that a TSB is not meant to say that your specific vehicle will have the defect, they are use to tell mechanics that there is a known fix to common problem, in order to reduce troubleshooting time.

In this case, the transmission falls under the power train warranty, which is different from the 3 year full coverage warranty. Mine was done for free under the powertrain warranty for free, even though the 3 year warranty has expired. As far as diagnostic fees, the dealer I took it to said that they wave the diagnostic fee if the problem is covered by warranty, but that they will charge me if they cannot replicate the issue or if it is not covered by warranty.

• Like 1

I've read a few times that people had to SHOW the TSB to the dealer. That seems so unnecessary to me, the dealers should know about these TSB's, they belong to THEM.

From what I hear it's like some dealers are playing dumb with the customers so they don't have to perform the work???

I've read a few times that people had to SHOW the TSB to the dealer. That seems so unnecessary to me, the dealers should know about these TSB's, they belong to THEM.

From what I hear it's like some dealers are playing dumb with the customers so they don't have to perform the work???

They have to do an Oasis search to find the relevant tsbs. Some might truly be inept and unable to find them but I suspect most of the ones who don't find it just don't take the time to look and don't care.

They may not feel what Ford pays them for the warranty work is worth the time.

They have to do an Oasis search to find the relevant tsbs. Some might truly be inept and unable to find them but I suspect most of the ones who don't find it just don't take the time to look and don't care.

They may not feel what Ford pays them for the warranty work is worth the time.

Good explanation, I suspected the same thing.

It's a good thing that I took it to a different Ford dealer this time which was closer to my job and I think it's better than the one where I purchased the car and have taken it the past 4 times....

I got the car back today and and I notice a difference in the acceleration and shifting although the SA said that it can take about 200 miles for adaptive.

The paperwork says they applied TSB 11-12-10 for the fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the exact same issue (jump or jerk at slow speed startup, right after a rolling stop). But as I didnt know about the TSB then (do now) the Ford advisor convinced me that a transmission flush was the first step. So I left the Edge with them for a day, and it has been good ever since. I have no idea if they did the re-program, but they did say I had the latest firmware.

Cross my fingers I guess, my extended warranty ends soon.

Thomas

The fix that my car went through seemed to have fixed the slipping issue but the shifting still intermittently has issues (at least to my expectations)....Sometimes the shifting is tight, other times the shifting is loose (it hesitates between gears usually 2 into 3) it's not a MAJOR issue but can be very annoying as I have never noticed this in a car unless I'm very light on the gas pedal. I cannot say it only happens on uphill or level ground, it's just whenever....Even using the manual option is the same.

Either my expectations are too high or the transmission is just a crappy one...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Im lazy to look for it, anyone know if there's a link to a site that tells you if you are still under warranty? 2011 with 91k miles on it. I'm tempted to go to a dealer and have them do the tsb on mines. I can make the tranny shirt rather hard to 2nd hear all the time. All i need is a down hill and from total stop let it drift down without giving it any gas. When it switches to 2nd gear, it hits it hard. And also having the coming to a rolling stop and give it gas and it bumps the tranny hard. Don't do it all the time bit once in a while. Seems like I'm having the tsb issue. Usually the warranty is based on what month the car was sold, then it begins to count down. I bought mines as a pre certified with 20k miles. Also. . NEVER trust the pre certifies claim. I had a brake pad on the driver inner side that was at almost 10% while the test were at 80%.. I think of it was given a 100 pooint inspection , they would have seen it and fixed it before selling it. When i did the brake pad replacement, i noticed that caliper was harder to twist push it inside. A little frozen i guess. The problem is still there even after new pads and lubing everything with good clips bent to a good new state. So its a caliper issue . But there's no brake pad drag at all. So im guessing it stays on the disk rotor a little longer leading to premature wear.

Edited by 2011edgese