front end noise

So about 8 months ago replaced the front struts and mounts on my wife's 2008 mkx. Just recently I noticed that it has been making a loud clunk coming from the front driver side. I've taken it to two mechanics who cant seem to find the problem. Took a pry bar the the sway bar end links and there's no play. But if I have one side off the ground and I turn the steering wheel back and for the steering linkage ( with the boot on it) gives of a clunk. Not quite as loud as when I'm driving though. It seems to be on the "drop" side of bumps. So like pot holes or elevation changed in roadways. Im at my whits end trying to find it. Im almost ready to take it to the dealer.

I took a pry bar to everything that has a bushing or makes a connection underneath the front end. All seems good. Its a pretty loud sound. Almost sounds like its inside the car. But sound travels strangely inside the front end so who knows. I even checked the steering shaft inside and its nice and tight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I replaced both strut mounts and struts and solved about half the noise. It was bad, almost to the point where I felt one of the struts had come loose (it didnt). Now, the left suspension makes a knock noise when it depresses, going across streets, and out of driveways. Its not nearly as bad as before but loud enough to be noticed.

Since the front struts and mounts were replaced, the Edge drives better and feels a little tighter but the noise is still annoying.

If I were to guess, it feels like an older vehicle with a bad stab bar link, or worn lower control bushing, but those are in good shape. The lower ball joints felt in good shape but since they arent under load, it doesnt seem like they could be at fault.