Beware of the "Premium" Wheels

northsantiam

Yea, wheels are crap..i have the 18" Clad Wheels what a joke....I want the Gunmetal gray painted wheels..anyone want to trade...

I guess eventually i will upgrade them..

Any chance of anyone snapping a photo while they have the covers off?

I dont really mind the Chrome Covers... After all if me or the wife accidentally curbs one, then you buy new cover instead of buying a new wheel.

Edited by Edgieguy

Those of you who hate the idea of plastic can look at the bright side: These wheels won't rust. I've been wondering why so many luxury SUVs have chrome wheels, since the metalic chrome plating on aluminum wheels is prone to rust when expsoed to salt. Use of cladding is a way to get a chrome finish, without the risk of rust. I have $1,400 worth of chrome plated aluminum after market wheels on my Mach 1 Mustang, and cannot allow them to see snow at all. At least with cladding, you get the light weight aluminum, with a chrome rust-free finish.

Also, those of you who opted for the 20" wheels on an '08 edge, remember you also got sport tuned suspension in the batrgain. For any skeptics about my facts, try touching a magnet to your chrome clad wheels, and then do the same with any chrome plated aluminum wheel. If anything, "real" chrome plating on an aluminum wheel defeats the year-round flexibility you should get from having an aluminum wheel.

I love a chrome wheel...Used to have them on my camaro...BUT...I agree with you. Since having these...I am honestly loving them...low maintenance! I used to have to polish or clean my chrome wheels like once a week at least, and still they tried to rust....It made me crazy...I really do enjoy the wheels on my edge...

exactly why on the 2008 Limited I negotiated with the dealer to give me the SEL "18 inch premium painted aluminum wheels" - plus that got me a 489 credit back as it was a 'down grade' - but to me it was an 'upgrade'. so in the end, I got an all aluminum wheels, money back, and IF I ever decide to upgrade to after market custom rims, mine will be easier to sell as they are all aluminum (no plastic chrome clad) and I put less money into buying them so could better justify ditching them for custom wheels as I needed to drive off the lot with some wheels.

Are the chrome covers even offered without the wheels??

Is there a separate Ford part number for a cover??

So if you scrape the chrome, the only option is a replacement wheel??

I looked on eBay and the OEM chrome 18 inch wheel is going for $190.

I replaced my tires and wheels and sold the chromes because I didn't like the look. Glad I did.

Edited by ramblinman

Are the chrome covers even offered without the wheels??

Is there a separate Ford part number for a cover??

So if you scrape the chrome, the only option is a replacement wheel??

I looked on eBay and the OEM chrome 18 inch wheel is going for $190.

I replaced my tires and wheels and sold the chromes because I didn't like the look. Glad I did.

The covers are not offered without the wheels, no there isn't a seperate part number for the covers and yes if you scrape the chrome you either live with it or replace the wheel.