Beware of the "Premium" Wheels

northsantiam

We recieved our new 2008 Edge Limited this weekend. Very disappointed with the wheels. Nothing premium about them. The "Chrome Clad" is nothing more than a chrome plastic cover. Very cheesy. Owners manual says not to use snow tire chains or cables with the 18" and 20" premium wheels. I can see why now, they are plastic and will probably break or crack.

Before they were calling it Euro-clad.. guess that's been going on over-seas now for a while and has been a standard feature at Ford for quite a while. Listen if your not wanting to put money into other wheels after you have this, Your wheels are still pretty good. Matter of Fact I just talked to a person who owns a Ford T-Bird, it's still under warranty and will be getting it's fourth and final "NEW" Chrome wheels. Yes real chrome that has pealed off each and every one.

Problem? It's chromed Alum. Wheels, the outside is polished, the backside is a Flash Chrome, and then painted. Seems Road salt, brake dust gets into the paint and really goes to town now on that Alum. and causes the chrome to peal.

You were shocked to find it's an overlay, well now that you know this, start looking at other vehicles on the road and you'll see it's not just Ford that is doing it, almost every manufacturer is. Their easy to clean and stay nice unless you curb them, and every wheel gets destroyed if that happens.

Plus side? NO RUST!

Before they were calling it Euro-clad.. guess that's been going on over-seas now for a while and has been a standard feature at Ford for quite a while. Listen if your not wanting to put money into other wheels after you have this, Your wheels are still pretty good. Matter of Fact I just talked to a person who owns a Ford T-Bird, it's still under warranty and will be getting it's fourth and final "NEW" Chrome wheels. Yes real chrome that has pealed off each and every one.

Problem? It's chromed Alum. Wheels, the outside is polished, the backside is a Flash Chrome, and then painted. Seems Road salt, brake dust gets into the paint and really goes to town now on that Alum. and causes the chrome to peal.

You were shocked to find it's an overlay, well now that you know this, start looking at other vehicles on the road and you'll see it's not just Ford that is doing it, almost every manufacturer is. Their easy to clean and stay nice unless you curb them, and every wheel gets destroyed if that happens.

Plus side? NO RUST!

I currently own an '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp Edition with crome wheels. As described by 07 MKX, the cromed aluminum wheels are very suseptable to corrosion. I have to get the wheels re-sealed every 4 months because of corrosion. It sucks. For better or worse, I bought a warranty on my tires from a shop (even though I didn't buy the tires from them). They re-seal my tires at no additional charge each time now. I think I got lucky, I don't think they should be doing that for me. If it were my business, I would not offer that warranty.

I anticipate that the crome plastic covers are going to be easier and cheaper to replace than chromed aluminum wheels. I could use some more info on those wheels too. Any chance any of the Edge owners want to post some pics with the crome plastic wheel cover pulled off?

I will not get chomed aluminum wheels again. I cannot tell if the wheel is plastic or metal unless I knock on it anyway.

Someone just damaged a wheel and is wondering if his package will cover replacement, of course us experts here don't think so, but maybe he will get lucky. We've asked if he can pull the Trim Ring off and see what you've asked.

I have had all 4 of mine off and cleaned the back side of them. - they were dusty. Looking at it from that side, the casting is full size to the trim ring on the customer side. Mine are only 18" wheels, - I do wish they were 20" , but I can live with what I got. After all, a new pair would just mean I have to store the old ones. M&S Tires & AWD will get me home even if I have to drag it home in the winter.

yea.. Good hands was right, better go with aftermarket

Here is my light hearted reply.

You walked into a Ford dealer, sat down and went thru the order catalog, told him you wanted to order a '08 Limited, told him you wanted the 20's also. But while your their, you didn't look at any on the lot, never noticed that every one of the chrome was that cheap plastic, or ask him if he thought the 20's would have the same cheap plastic hub caps?

Then when it came in, in your excitement, you zoomed it home and once home, you saw how Ford ripped you off, buy charging that outrageous price for the wheels and had the nerve to label them "Premium"

Yea I see your point now.

Always wondered why they call it a Limited when everyone can get their own Limited ..

Edited by 07 MKX

We recieved our new 2008 Edge Limited this weekend. Very disappointed with the wheels. Nothing premium about them. The "Chrome Clad" is nothing more than a chrome plastic cover. Very cheesy. Owners manual says not to use snow tire chains or cables with the 18" and 20" premium wheels. I can see why now, they are plastic and will probably break or crack.

[size="3"]

I have to admit that when I first washed my Edge, I was "very" upset! I am no "car dummy", as I "looked over" the Edge before I purchased it I never would have thought to check for "plastic wheels". Once I got over it, I have come to like them. They clean up easily, brake dust doesn't stick to them and they clean up nice. And best of all, they won't "rust".[/size]

Company wheels are currently a Bonneville with "chrome" wheels. Looked great when it showed up (didn't expect the wheels or leather interior but it came off a lot after the next years model was out so they wanted to move it).

Wheels are basically trashed from pitting/peeling. I hand washed it in the summer and it did car washes in the winter but all that did was get me 3 years.

Turning in the Bonneville for the Edge likely in 3-4 weeks. Pretty sure I won't go to any extreme to keep the "chrome" in perfect shape on this vehicle either.

As was noted in a previous post you really don't give it the serious once over when you get caught up in the excitement of a new vehicle. I looked at the Edge multiple times prior to ordering and thought the wheels looked a bit cheap but I'm not paying and "they are what they are". If I wanted true premium wheels I would do it after market

Question: for those of you who think these chrome clad wheels look cheap as a chrome plastic cover; what do you think about your grill? It's the SAME material and finish...

07_MKX, the next time you clean the back of your wheels, would you mind posting a pic of the backside? Also, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I think the MKX 18" chromes (18 Inch 8-Spoke Chrome Clad Aluminum Wheel w/Euroflange) are a metal chrome cover, not plastic.

07_MKX, the next time you clean the back of your wheels, would you mind posting a pic of the backside? Also, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I think the MKX 18" chromes (18 Inch 8-Spoke Chrome Clad Aluminum Wheel w/Euroflange) are a metal chrome cover, not plastic.

Really?? I figured they were just identical to The Edge except for material. ie plastic. Sure. I'll try to get a shot tonight then. Actually Everyone should at least remove one wheel to get a feel for how to change a wheel/flat. You know when I would pull at the Edge of it with a fingernail, it did sound/feel like metal. I always wondered why people called it plastic.

Really?? I figured they were just identical to The Edge except for material. ie plastic. Sure. I'll try to get a shot tonight then. Actually Everyone should at least remove one wheel to get a feel for how to change a wheel/flat. You know when I would pull at the Edge of it with a fingernail, it did sound/feel like metal. I always wondered why people called it plastic.

If your's is like the MKX I saw a couple weeks ago, it covers the outer edge of the actual rim (I checked your gallery and it is); covers the entire wheel. The Edge, on the other hand, the cover fits inside the outer lip of the rim.

The English language is a wonderful thing.

I'm with CremeEDGE - the description should have been your first tip-off:

clad 1 (kld)

tr.v. clad, clad·ding, clads

1. To sheathe or cover (a metal) with a metal.

2. To cover with a protective or insulating layer of other material.

Edited by Good_Hands

If your's is like the MKX I saw a couple weeks ago, it covers the outer edge of the actual rim (I checked your gallery and it is); covers the entire wheel. The Edge, on the other hand, the cover fits inside the outer lip of the rim.

Well let's put to rest the idea of Plastic on an MKX.

At least on the MKX, these are .010 - .015 inch think Stainless Steel Stamped Applique's.

I did not take a pic of the outside of the wheel. Actually all the pic's I did take were too big to upload here, so I had to shrink them.

This one shows the wheel size and in this one and it and the next, you can see the thickness of the metal

post-1037-1195161248_thumb.jpg

post-1037-1195161260_thumb.jpg

The last one, you can see how the metal is bent into the recessed wheel hub area.

post-1037-1195161268_thumb.jpg

This only pertains to the Lincoln, the Edge people will have to make a detailed examination of their own.

It always felt like metal, and I'll also guess it's Polished 304 SS since it had a slight magnetic attraction, due to it having been stamped.

Well let's put to rest the idea of Plastic on an MKX.

At least on the MKX, these are .010 - .015 inch think Stainless Steel Stamped Applique's.

I did not take a pic of the outside of the wheel. Actually all the pic's I did take were too big to upload here, so I had to shrink them.

This one shows the wheel size and in this one and it and the next, you can see the thickness of the metal

The last one, you can see how the metal is bent into the recessed wheel hub area.

This only pertains to the Lincoln, the Edge people will have to make a detailed examination of their own.

It always felt like metal, and I'll also guess it's Polished 304 SS since it had a slight magnetic attraction, due to it having been stamped.

So, I was right!

Your right I was disappointed also. I looked at them before I purchased it but when I got home and wiped the car down myself I was very disappointed. I had them on for about a week and I have been trying to sell mine since I bought my edge back in July.

When I ordered my Edge, I liked the look of the stock painted wheels, so I went with those. I'm glad I did, after reading all the complaints about the optional wheels. Plus, I got an extra (and unexpected) $500.00 rebate when I picked up the Edge. Seems that since a lot of people were opting for the premium wheels, Ford had an overabundance of the stock ones, and put a little incentive on them to sell them. After almost a year, they still look great, and I do not regret my decision at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Those of you who hate the idea of plastic can look at the bright side: These wheels won't rust. I've been wondering why so many luxury SUVs have chrome wheels, since the metalic chrome plating on aluminum wheels is prone to rust when expsoed to salt. Use of cladding is a way to get a chrome finish, without the risk of rust. I have $1,400 worth of chrome plated aluminum after market wheels on my Mach 1 Mustang, and cannot allow them to see snow at all. At least with cladding, you get the light weight aluminum, with a chrome rust-free finish.

Also, those of you who opted for the 20" wheels on an '08 edge, remember you also got sport tuned suspension in the batrgain. For any skeptics about my facts, try touching a magnet to your chrome clad wheels, and then do the same with any chrome plated aluminum wheel. If anything, "real" chrome plating on an aluminum wheel defeats the year-round flexibility you should get from having an aluminum wheel.