Ford SYNC Music format - TESTED

I have scoured the web and can't find any type of listing for card format, music format, etc. so I wanted to make a post for what I have tested to work in my 2011 Ford Edge. If there are comments with other tested formats, then I will add them to the list.

SD Cards:

• 64GB
  • exFAT (Note: I have read that exFAT is required for anything over 32GB)

Music:

MP3 Formats Supported:

MPEG-1 Audio Layer III - 320Kbps

MPEG-1 Audio Layer III - 256Kbps

MPEG-1 Audio Layer III - 224Kbps

MPEG-1 Audio Layer III - 192Kbps

.WMA Formats Supported:

Ford Rep has said .WMA is supported

.WAV Formats Supported:

Ford Rep has said .WAV is supported

.AAC Formats Supported:

(Apple's default format)

MPEG-2 Advanced Audio Coding File

Lossless Formats Supported:

WMA 9.2

Bit rate mode: variable

average bit rate: 754Kbps

maximum bit reate: 835Kbps

sampling rate: 44.1Khz

sampling rate: 16 bit

Music not showing? Try moving your music off the card/USB and do a full (do not check "Quick") format. Check my steps in this post: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/15659-not-all-mp3s-play-nothing-seems-to-be-in-common/

Edited by Dominatron2212
  • Like 2

It's good to know a 64GB stick is supported; I thought I read that 32GB was the max.

I play exclusively WMA (9.2) lossless at these settings:

Bit rate mode: variable

average bit rate: 754Kbps

maximum bit reate: 835Kbps

sampling rate: 44.1Khz

sampling rate: 16 bit

I just wish I could post FLAC settings :(

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You're very welcome! No, the bitrate does not matter. For the best performance when using a USB or SD card for media, they should be formatted as FAT32 and non-password protected.

Rebecca

Hey Rebecca..

According to my research FAT32 is capped at 32GB.. so if you want to have a larger memory card it wouldn't register. I have no performance issues (about 5 minutes to index and build voice commands for 1000 songs) at ex-FAT with my 64GB SD card. Does Ford advise against this, or do they just not have this tested out enough to officially recommend it?

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add my (limited) experience with using thumb drives for music files...

I picked up a Lexar 64 GB drive to try in my Edge. Just checked it - it's FAT32 formatted from the factory.

Initially, I had loaded both mp3 and m4a (Apple lossless) files onto the drive. In my case, I had loaded duplicate songs using both formats. From there, created some m3u (playlist) files.

What was a bit strange is that the system wouldn't directly play the m4a files via the playlists - would get 'unsupported' errors, but it did appear to play some of them when I was browsing the complete list of songs. Example: going through the list, play song 1 (mp3) - plays okay. Next song (same song, m4a version) - won't play. Next song (mp3) - plays okay. Next song (same title as previous song) plays, but is louder and has more detail and punch. Was able to recreate this without issue.

Haven't had time to try to see why some m4a songs play but other don't. May be a bitrate issue, but have no idea at this time. Using an application called 'Tag & Rename' for working on music files and it shows that m4a file bitrates will vary quite a bit between songs.