2007 MKX Factory Hood Damage

Balzr

I have a 2007 MKX, after delivery (Aug 4, 07) I noticed both edges of the hood have a crease/kink which appears to be a result of the stamping/forming die. The leading edge of hood also doesn't align with fenders. Appears someone tried to 'tweak' it at assembly. To make matters worse, my dealer has obtained 3 replacement hoods from parts distribution and all have similar defect. I have looked at appr 10 on thier lot as well as numerous others in my travels and they are flat/smooth along the edges and front lip aligns with fenders. Looks like early production had a Quality issue which was fixed. I've requested my dealer go to factory for a hood off line, Has anyone else seen this issue?? Any suggestions on how to get someones attention at Lincoln to get this resolved??

Edited by Balzr

I have a 2007 MKX, after delivery (Aug 4, 07) I noticed both edges of the hood have a crease/kink which appears to be a result of the stamping/forming die. The leading edge of hood also doesn't align with fenders. Appears someone tried to 'tweak' it at assembly. To make matters worse, my dealer has obtained 3 replacement hoods from parts distribution and all have similar defect. I have looked at appr 10 on thier lot as well as numerous others in my travels and they are flat/smooth along the edges and front lip aligns with fenders. Looks like early production had a Quality issue which was fixed. I've requested my dealer go to factory for a hood off line, Has anyone else seen this issue?? Any suggestions on how to get someones attention at Lincoln to get this resolved??

Sounds like you might be on the right track. I think I would take pictures of yours and the other 10 on the lot with the same problem. Take a picture of two of the "correct" way it should look (correct hood). Start emailing Lincoln, Ford, etc with them pointing out the problem.

I have looked at appr 10 on thier lot as well as numerous others in my travels and they are flat/smooth along the edges and front lip aligns with fenders. Looks like early production had a Quality issue which was fixed.

Having purchased in August 07 doesn't sound like an early production vehicle. Have a look at the plate on the driver's door pillar and it will tell you what month/year it was built.

If you do find others with similar problems, check their build date. it would be interesting if they were built during the same period. A little more ammo for you ...

I checked my door tag , was built June/2007.

Update to hood issue, We were notified by my dealer they had one pulled from factory, don't know if it was in stock or off assembly lineset, however, body shop manager was concerned with Quality of it and wanted me to inspect it prior to proceed with prep/paint. The replacement hood, even in primer had creases on both sides and this one (different than previous 3), also had the dent in it like mine, almost same distance from front edge. Body shop manager says he has noticed same type defect on few others as well.

Ford definitely has an issue with one or two of the stamping dies. I went around front and looked at 3- 2008's, 1- White and 2- Blue Ink with no lines or kinks. Other 07's on lot look good as well. Dealer is attempting to get someone from Ford to look into.

Rest of vehicle is great, this is only cosmetic, however, I'm a car guy, really stands out in sunlight, worst at nite with indirect lights. Really disappointing for such an expensive vehicle. 4 months and counting, We'll see where it goes from here.

Edited by Balzr

• 1 month later...
I checked my door tag , was built June/2007.

Update to hood issue, We were notified by my dealer they had one pulled from factory, don't know if it was in stock or off assembly lineset, however, body shop manager was concerned with Quality of it and wanted me to inspect it prior to proceed with prep/paint. The replacement hood, even in primer had creases on both sides and this one (different than previous 3), also had the dent in it like mine, almost same distance from front edge. Body shop manager says he has noticed same type defect on few others as well.

Ford definitely has an issue with one or two of the stamping dies. I went around front and looked at 3- 2008's, 1- White and 2- Blue Ink with no lines or kinks. Other 07's on lot look good as well. Dealer is attempting to get someone from Ford to look into.

Rest of vehicle is great, this is only cosmetic, however, I'm a car guy, really stands out in sunlight, worst at nite with indirect lights. Really disappointing for such an expensive vehicle. 4 months and counting, We'll see where it goes from here.

After receipt of yet another hood from Ford that the body shop rejected, I requested a meeting with the Ford Factory Rep.. I was notified to leave my X on Tuesday nite for his inspection on Wednesday, I requested I really wanted to be there when he inspected the vehicle, however, was told they couldn't guarantee a time. Late Wednesday I was notified that the Ford rep inspected my X and dispositioned as acceptable and no action to correct the defects would be authorized. I stated once more to the dealer that I really wanted to discuss this issue with him in person, I was told if I 'demanded' to talk to him direct he would call me. I don't know if I was more disappointed or stunned at his response. You'd think a factory rep would insist on meeting with a customer pertaining to a Quality issue vs making a statement like that.

When he finally did call I was told he didn't see the defects and felt the appearance was acceptable, for some reason he reviewed the vehicle inside the service bay (not outside) and never discussed the issue with the body shop manager. Sales was there, however, when we inspected the hood 3 days prior and they also didn't think it was 'that bad'. If you talk to anyone in the body shop they walk right up to it and point it out, all agree there is a stamping/distortion issue on our hood as well as the replacements. It is obvious they didn't want me there nor did they want the body shop involved.

I was also told this is a production line vehicle and if I was expecting perfection, I would always be disappointed. I was told that if I didn't detect this defect at time of purchase, that after I signed the papers, it was now my problem. Buyer beware on a Lincoln??

I cannot express how diappointed I am in Fords attitude. This is a $40000 vehicle and I am told I am being too picky?? I have worked with the dealer for 5 months trying to get this resolved and have been very patient and professional about it.

The dealer initially had offered to grind/fill the defects, however, a couple of body shops I reviewed this with both agree, it is very thin steel and not a good idea to repair it. If I planned on keeping it, it should be replaced. All I want is a new hood that doesn't have these creases/dent. Haven't even started to worry on whether it can be color matched correctly yet.

Guess its time to contact Lincoln directly.

Edited by Balzr

bummer story... I would push for them to do the right thing here assuming you can show many examples of good hoods versus yours. I hate it when you make a purchase - big or small - and then when you find an issue are made to feel like your the pushy bad guy for wanting it right.

BTW, some photos would be great for this thread as a lot more people could chime in about what they have - versus what they see in your photos.

I have a similar, though not nearly as bad from the sound of it, issue w/ my 08 MKX. The passenger side rear window is not installed correctly, the lower front edge sticks out almost 1/4".

I took it back and asked the dealer to fix it. They brought in an outside window replacement company, which managed to get more than just a little bit of mastic smeared around on the paint. After the replacement, it pretty much looked identical. I pointed that out to the service guy who pretty much just shrugged and didn't say a word.

I then went out to the lot & 1/2 of them were identical to mine & 1/2 were installed correctly. I guess some days quality is job 2 at ford.

Clearly something went out of whack on the line. I'm guess that it was in the sheetmetal because of the consistency in the ones on the lot and mine.

Again, while not as bad as your issue, I had to remind myself that it costs $6-8k less than an comparably equipped Lexus or Acura, which would not have such issues. I took a leap of faith by leaving the lexus family and though I love the MKX, just have this nagging feeling I'll end up regretting it. I hope not, but I do notice lots of little, and I do mean little, things that are not done as well as you'd get on a lexus.

I hope the dealer backs you up and gets the issue resolved. When I bought my wife a lexus in 06, we noticed a couple of very faint scratches in the paint that were touched up very well, but still apparent in the right light at the right angle. The dealer agreed in writing, after the deal was done, to either fix it to our satisfaction or take the car back.

Its the service after the sale that makes all the difference. When buying a luxury car, that should come with the package.

Good luck!

After receipt of yet another hood from Ford that the body shop rejected, I requested a meeting with the Ford Factory Rep.. I was notified to leave my X on Tuesday nite for his inspection on Wednesday, I requested I really wanted to be there when he inspected the vehicle, however, was told they couldn't guarantee a time. Late Wednesday I was notified that the Ford rep inspected my X and dispositioned as acceptable and no action to correct the defects would be authorized. I stated once more to the dealer that I really wanted to discuss this issue with him in person, I was told if I 'demanded' to talk to him direct he would call me. I don't know if I was more disappointed or stunned at his response. You'd think a factory rep would insist on meeting with a customer pertaining to a Quality issue vs making a statement like that.

When he finally did call I was told he didn't see the defects and felt the appearance was acceptable, for some reason he reviewed the vehicle inside the service bay (not outside) and never discussed the issue with the body shop manager. Sales was there, however, when we inspected the hood 3 days prior and they also didn't think it was 'that bad'. If you talk to anyone in the body shop they walk right up to it and point it out, all agree there is a stamping/distortion issue on our hood as well as the replacements. It is obvious they didn't want me there nor did they want the body shop involved.

I was also told this is a production line vehicle and if I was expecting perfection, I would always be disappointed. I was told that if I didn't detect this defect at time of purchase, that after I signed the papers, it was now my problem. Buyer beware on a Lincoln??

I cannot express how diappointed I am in Fords attitude. This is a $40000 vehicle and I am told I am being too picky?? I have worked with the dealer for 5 months trying to get this resolved and have been very patient and professional about it.

The dealer initially had offered to grind/fill the defects, however, a couple of body shops I reviewed this with both agree, it is very thin steel and not a good idea to repair it. If I planned on keeping it, it should be replaced. All I want is a new hood that doesn't have these creases/dent. Haven't even started to worry on whether it can be color matched correctly yet.

Guess its time to contact Lincoln directly.

I would go through the arbitration process. Make sure you have all your documentation. It's a pretty painless procedure to go thru. Ford will inspect your vehicle again and you will get a rental car. You have nothing to loose and it doesn't cost you a cent.

... and then when you find an issue are made to feel like your the pushy bad guy for wanting it right.

What Lex said is right, this is true and happens a lot.

There is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself. If looks and smells like poop, it probably is and there is no reason to eat it just because someone is telling you it is not. lol. Be a squeaky wheel and you will get what you want. Just don't be rude.

I was pushed around on the last car I bought. I got pushed around by the dealer. I got a little my way, but not everything I should have. This is a long story so I won't tell it here. Needless to say, I will not buy another car from Pontiac until every other manufacturer out there burns their bridge with me. I bought a "Certified" used car from Jerry Haggerty (in Glen Elyn, IL I think). I tried to take the car back because I supposedly had three days to do so, but they wouldn't take it back. I had good reasons too, but they made me feel like I was being too picky and that I didn't interpret the rules correctly. I gave up and it still eats at me to this day. :banghead:

As far as telling yourself you paid $6K-$8K less than what you would have for an Acura, that's silly. Lincoln is Ford's luxury line. They better take pride in their luxury line. Also, you could have bought an Edge for $6K-$8K less than your MKX and you would not have that problem. My Edge is supposedly coming in this week and I wouldn't tolerate it. Not after the fiasco with my last buying experience.

katiesdady makes a good point for arbitration. I've never tried that though. Good Luck!