Day Time Running Lights

The dealers used to be able to turn on DRLs with software but not on the 2011s.

have to admit its been a LONG while since I last logged into the forum, so it was a pleasant surprise when one of my old threads was 'revived'...

so in the 2011's and later, how do they turn on DRLs now?

All the Edges are still made around the corner from my house here in Oakville, so I can't see there being different DRL equipment being installed in the Canadian vehicles from the US bound vehicles.

Edited by kylet

have to admit its been a LONG while since I last logged into the forum, so it was a pleasant surprise when one of my old threads was 'revived'...

so in the 2011's and later, how do they turn on DRLs now?

All the Edges are still made around the corner from my house here in Oakville, so I can't see there being different DRL equipment being installed in the Canadian vehicles from the US bound vehicles.

There's no different equipment, it's all software. It's just that Ford decided the software was too complicated for the dealers now.

But with headlights/taillights being automatic, that is a moot point.

Only if they are tied into the windshield wipers so they activate in the rain automatically during the day (Fords do for the most part but not necessarily other brands).

And only if they have automatic lights and they are left in automatic mode. A lot of people don't have autolamps and some who do don't use them.

I'd prefer to see autolamps standard with std wiper activation. I think that would be way safer than DRLs because it would prevent people from driving in low visibility situations without proper lighting.

I also believe most accidents during the daytime occur because people do not look before pulling out or entering the intersection, in which case DRLs are useless. If you do look and you can't see something as large as a car in daylight then I don't see how having lights on will help. But that's just my personal opinion.

• Like 1

Only if they are tied into the windshield wipers so they activate in the rain automatically during the day (Fords do for the most part but not necessarily other brands).

And only if they have automatic lights and they are left in automatic mode. A lot of people don't have autolamps and some who do don't use them.

I'd prefer to see autolamps standard with std wiper activation. I think that would be way safer than DRLs because it would prevent people from driving in low visibility situations without proper lighting.

I also believe most accidents during the daytime occur because people do not look before pulling out or entering the intersection, in which case DRLs are useless. If you do look and you can't see something as large as a car in daylight then I don't see how having lights on will help. But that's just my personal opinion.

I don't disagree that most accidents are caused by inattentive drivers but regardless, I would still like to have the option of turning them on, even if it's a dealer-only modification. The fact that they are required in Canada, and anecdotal evidence suggests that they are available for fleet purchases in the US, would seem to indicate that it is not a technical issue. If I feel safer with them on (my opinion only), then that should be my option.

In any event, after having the dealer fail at turning them on (despite what appeared to be some initial success) I just did it myself and installed a DRL control to turn just my headlights on whenever the car is running. Not quite as nice as having them come on in just drive and reverse, but it works for me.

Canadian dealers will turn on the DRLs in US made cars and only charge the labor. My 2011 Limited had the turn/parking lamps turned into DRLs since the headlamps are HID. On a halogen set the low beams would be set to 80%. I think the software to turn them on only exists in the Canadian service departments since the dealer I bought it at (Washington) couldn't figure out how to get it done.

All vehicles are 'quipped' but only Canadian dealers have the software to turn them on.

So, I took my Edge Sport to the dealer today and asked them to turn on the DRLs...they had never been asked to do it, so they contacted Ford and Ford came back and said they are not allowed to do it unless the vehicle was going to Canada. LOL

Who was it that had it done in Raleigh? Capitol Ford?

So, I took my Edge Sport to the dealer today and asked them to turn on the DRLs...they had never been asked to do it, so they contacted Ford and Ford came back and said they are not allowed to do it unless the vehicle was going to Canada. LOL

Who was it that had it done in Raleigh? Capitol Ford?

It is possible to have the dealer turn them on on prior models - just not the 2011.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic, but does any one know if the DRL option IN A 2008 in a 2008 Limited can be accessed using the AutoEnginuity Scan Tool with the Enhanced Ford Interface?

I have a 2008 Edge Limited. As a condition of the sale (brand new from the dealership) I asked for them to turn on DRL. When I went to pick it up, it was not enabled. They pulled the vehicle up to service, plugged in to the port drivers side under dash, went through some menus, and it has worked perfectly ever since. Took about 10 min start to finish.

Hope this helps