2008 MKX vs 2009 MKS

MTEDGE

Well Lincoln is really coming out with a real luxury car with the 2009 MKS. It has the best leather and a 3.7 liter engine among many other upgrades. Its too bad the 2008 MKX does not have these luxuries. Does anyone think a 2009 MKX will be like the MKS. Usually every 2 years there is cosmetic changes to a model (therefore a 2009 MKX fits the bill) I hate spending big bucks on a vehicle if a "better" version is on the horizon. My choice is to wait for 2009 or bite the bullit and get a 2008 MKX or 2008 Edge Limited. I am not saying I am not going to get a 2009 because 2010 will be better etc. etc. its just trying to choose between 2008 and 2009 at this point.

I think we'll see some of the MKS features on the 09 MKX like adaptive HIDs, back up camera, keyless go, integrated LED keypad, selectshift, etc. There is a chance it could get the new Lincoln split grille and also the new style interior. Or they could wait until the 2010 model (3 years). Hard to say. I think we'll know either after the Detroit Auto Show in January or at least by the New York show in April.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a Lincoln dealershp recently and he allowed me to read a brochure he had received detailing the changes on the 2009 MKX. I'm trying to recall some of the changes I remember reading. First, the design looked pretty similar to the '08 and I believe the engine and transmission were the same. There were a couple new colors but no real design changes. Some of the new options included heated rear seats as standard, HID adaptive headlights, a new fuel filler system that it stated was "capless". As I understood it, there is no fuel filler door. A backup camera is included and I believe it stated 11-way power seats are standard. The option packages were pretty much the same I believe. The most intriguing additon though was a "wander sensor" as an option. It stated it is a camera is installed near the wheels on each side that track the raised reflectors in the center of the road. If the car wanders near or across the center line the vehicle automatically corrects itself and steers back to the proper lane. My first thought after reading this was you'll now be able to drive drunk now.

All in all, the wander sensor and fuel door free filling were new and there were some predictable options available with not much change to the design or mechanicals of the vehicle.

The MKS will be a sedan, and if you can wait even longer past the release date, they will have the new Ford Twin Turbo engine in that sucker, but they aren't really the same, maybe the MKX redesign will copy some of the interior trim ques.

LIMA ENGINE READIES FOR MKS ENGINE PRODUCTION

LIMA, OHIO, Dec. 6, 2007 – The Lima Engine Plant is preparing for the production this spring of the new 3.7-liter V-6 engine that will power the all-new Lincoln MKS sedan.

To ensure top quality and assembly readiness, the plant – in conjunction with the University of Northwestern Ohio – is training employees in a unique two-day hands-on engine build class.

The current class, taught by Mike White, technology instructor at the University of Northwestern Ohio, gives employees – hourly and salaried – an opportunity to learn about the engine piece-by-piece before assembling it on the line.

Plant Manager Adrian Price said the end result will be realized in the engine's high quality.

"If people understand what they are putting together, they can do a better job. As a result, the quality of the engine build is improved," explained Price. "They also understand how their actions during machining and assembly affect the customer and their satisfaction of the powertrain."

The new 3.7-liter engine is exclusive to Lincoln and is derived from the 3.5-liter V-6, which is also produced at Lima Engine. The 3.5-liter engine was voted one of Ward's 10-Best Engines for 2007 and shares the majority of its parts with its larger cousin.

Both engines use the same strong, die-cast aluminum block and lightweight, four-valve heads for smooth operation at high RPMs. Larger cylinders help the 3.7-liter V-6 produce 270 horsepower and 265 lb.-ft. of torque.

Following the classroom session, the media toured the plant, stopping in the crankshaft machining and piston-stuffing areas.

Lima, which employs 734 employees, recently became one of the few major U.S. powertrain facilities to test at low enough noise levels to allow employees to forego hearing protection.

The plant also uses spring water on its property to cool the facility and some of its equipment. The innovative geothermal system saves the plant hundreds of thousands of dollars annually and drastically reduces water and energy usage.

Edited by 07 MKX