Disappointed

flipr

Bought new '13 Edge 12/8, had 800 miles on it when we took it for Christmas road trip.

Nashville to Wisconsin, then to Ohio, back to Nashville.

1830 miles, mostly all interstate, 79 gallons of gas, just over 23 mpg for the trip! MPG stinks.

had the cruise set at 2-3 mph over speed limit, some parts limit was 65, others limit was 70.

Had a full back end of gifts on the way up, maybe 300 pounds luggage and gifts, on the way home, pretty much just luggage, about 150#

besides my wife and I.

Was watching tach, engine ran at 2000 rpm on the highway with cruise set. Is that about right?

i've heard all kinds of excuses about why mileage was soo bad, cold weather, wind conditions, new engine, let it break in 5000 miles or so, then mileage will get better. My driving habits are such that I get 31 mpg on '08 Altima 2.5, and was getting 28-29 hwy on 2002 Impala w/ 3800, so I'm not an agressive, light-jumping driver.

Ford charges $995 premium to buy the Ecoboost, I had higher expectations.

What are you getting in real life?

Bought new '13 Edge 12/8, had 800 miles on it when we took it for Christmas road trip.

1830 miles, mostly all interstate, 79 gallons of gas, just over 23 mpg for the trip! MPG stinks.

had the cruise set at 2-3 mph over speed limit, some parts limit was 65, others limit was 70.

Had a full back end of gifts on the way up, maybe 300 pounds luggage and gifts, on the way home, pretty much just luggage, about 150#

besides my wife and I.

Was watching tach, engine ran at 2000 rpm on the highway with cruise set. Is that about right?

i've heard all kinds of excuses about why mileage was soo bad, cold weather, wind conditions, new engine, let it break in 5000 miles or so, then mileage will get better. My driving habits are such that I get 31 mpg on '08 Altima 2.5, and was getting 28-29 hwy on 2002 Impala w/ 3800, so I'm not an agressive, light-jumping driver.

Is this the 1.6L or 2.0L Ecoboost engine?

• 3 weeks later...

We bought our Edge the end of October and just returned yesterday from a trip to NC from Wisconsin - put on 2000 miles and got 27.9 mpg overall. Quite lower on the tank through the Smokey Mountains.   Vehicle now has 4500 miles on it and each tank has been significantly different mpg- I believe due to not filling the tank the same.  Have noticed a local mileage drop since cold weather and now we're supposed to be below 0 for the next couple of days - may use the block heater.

besides my wife and I.

We bought our Edge the end of October and just returned yesterday from a trip to NC from Wisconsin - put on 2000 miles and got 27.9 mpg overall. Quite lower on the tank through the Smokey Mountains.   Vehicle now has 4500 miles on it and each tank has been significantly different mpg- I believe due to not filling the tank the same.  Have noticed a local mileage drop since cold weather and now we're supposed to be below 0 for the next couple of days - may use the block heater.

besides my wife and I.

What did they say you should be getting?

• 2 years later...

You will get 30 if you drive 55mph straight on a level road for the entire tank of gas with one person in the car. After that expect less. My 2008 averages 21 mph almost all the time. My wifes 2011 averages 16mph all the time. Technically the 2011 is better in fuel mileage and is on the highway, but my wife only drives in the city 100 percent of the time and her mileage is 16mpg. Those are the differences in usage. If you drive any city driving you will not get 30mpg. The percentage of loss of mileage is very significant over 55mph. Plus weight reduces the mileage. It takes fuel and ponys to push the edge down the road at 75mph. By the way I drive 75 everywhere and as I said 21 mpg. I go slower I start seeing 23mpg up to 24mpg. Which is about what they say a 2008 should be getting.