Bad Coil Went Backwards and Killed PCM/ECM FIX

securinu

So the Monday before Thanksgiving I was driving and all of a sudden had a bad " Shudder" while driving. CEL came on right away. It was # 1 coil failure. A few monthe ago I had a intermttent miss and it was coil 3 so I had replaced that and things were fine til this. So put another new coil in and still no go. Doing some research found that the PCM/ECM has no protection for a bad coil. It kills the driver for that cylinder if it is a complete coil failure. Dealer wanted almost $2500 for the new pcm and coils and new keys. I found www.circuitboardmedics.com and found the exact issue .

http://circuitboardmedics.com/2007-2010-ford-edge-pcm-ecm-repair/

Sent off my PCM/ECM and 4 days later had it back .

I put in all new coils and since I had 85,000 miles I replaced the plugs so I don't have to do it in 15,000 and repay for labor to do the same thing.

I used factory Ford Coils & Plugs. $547 and the $359.99 Repair which included Overnight Shipping both ways. I got to keep all my keys and Didn't have to worry about reprogramming my remote start bypass. These guys are very helpful and fast.

Edited by securinu
  • Like 1

Curious if the Ford dealer mentioned anything about a TSB that covered what sounds like your problem? I know there was a TSB that would provide a new PCM/ECM and coils for certain year models that had the coils that failed, and the box that also fried. There was even a pretty lengthy post from an owner who had the repairs done at other than a Ford dealer, and then found out about the TSB with special coverage for miles and time, and at no cost.

He fought with Ford for quite a while, but in the end was finally reimbursed for his repair bill. You might want to check and see if that program is still in effect for your year with whatever miles you have. You may be entitled to reimbursement hopefully.

• Like 1

TSB 14-0059

03/27/14

MIL ON WITH DTCS - P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354, P0355, AND/OR
P0356 - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/1/2008 FORD:
2006-2008 Fusion
2007-2008 Edge
2008 Taurus , Taurus X LINCOLN:
2006 Zephyr
2007-2008 MKX , MKZ MERCURY:
2006-2008 Milan
2008 Sable

This article supersedes TSB 13-4-17 to update the Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE
Some 2006 Zephyr, 2006-2008 Fusion, Milan, 2007-2008 MKZ, Edge, MKX, and 2008 Taurus, Taurus X and Sable vehicles built on or before 3/1/2008 and equipped with a 3.0L or 3.5L engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354, P0355 and/or P0356 present in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and with one or more damaged ignition coil-on-plug(s). ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Using the IDS scan tool, retrieve continuous memory DTCs. Are DTCs P035X present in the PCM? a. No - this article does not apply. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostics. b. Yes - proceed to Step 2. 2. Remove only the spark plug(s) and ignition coil-on-plug(s) from the affected cylinder(s). Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-07.
3. Inspect the ignition coil-on-plug(s) that have been removed for cracks and/or signs of heat related damage. Refer to Figures 1-3 at the end of this procedure for examples of damage. Does the ignition coil-on-plug(s) inspected show signs of damage? a. Yes - proceed to Step 4. b. No - replace only the spark plug(s) from the cylinders(s) associated with the P035X DTCs and do not continue with this article. Refer to the PC/ED manual for normal diagnostics. 4. Review the Online Automotive Service Information System (OASIS) repair history to determine if a PCM with an RM part number suffix has been installed previously. Has a PCM with an RM part number suffix been installed previously? (e.g. XXXX-12A650-XXRM) a. No - proceed to step 5. b. Yes - replace only the ignition coil-on-plug(s) and the spark plug(s) for the affected cylinder(s) and do not continue with this article. Refer to the PC/ED manual for normal diagnostics. 5. Replace the ignition coil-on-plug(s) and the spark plug(s) for the affected cylinder(s). Refer to WSM, Section 303-07. 6. Replace the PCM. Refer to WSM, Section 303-14A.

Parts Block

OPERATION, DESCRIPTION AND TIME

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

• Like 1

I don't think they extended the warranty. It's covered under the 8 yr 80K mile emissions warranty.

Correct. It is covered like you say for the 8 yr 80K emissions warranty. Several TSB's had been issued saying what parts to replace. Sounds like securinu's problem would have been covered except he has 85000 miles.

It appears he lives in California, and they might have different emissions warranty for the parts he needed to replace. Might be worth checking into.

• 1 year later...

If you have this issue, please call and report at:

Ford Claim: 1-800-392-3673

and

NHTSA: 1-888-327-4236

I have had the same issue and out of the warranty period. This is not a wear and tear issue. It is a design issue. It should be a $100 fix to replace a burned out coil. Instead it melts all the coils and the PCM. Ford is charging me $2,958 for the repair.

My Mechanic stated it has to be fixed my Ford (to flash it so it runs) and he would not drive it or it could catch fire and burn to the ground. Tow it. With this possible safety issue, the NHTSA needs to know and see about getting recall on this part.

PLEASE CALL or no one will no. These forums will not do it.

Full dealer price for parts can get pretty pricey. Add in diagnostics & labor, then I can see it all adding up. Now, the work IS DIY, you can change plugs & PCV valve while at it. Need dealership to recalibrate a replacement PCM tho if the as-built data is different from your original (IDK if jmr061 can do this), so if you can get the PCM repaired, that is a great option.

Coil MSRP $150 - $900 for 6

PCM MSRP $850

Total Coils + PCM = $1,750

Even if they give you online discounted pricing, you are still looking at $90/coil + $650 or so for the PCM = $1,200 or so just in parts alone.

I doubt a 2007 Edge will still have emissions warranty coverage unless it has not been driven much. Normal driving is 12K/year, so ...

• 4 years later...
On 12/9/2014 at 8:09 PM, securinu said:

So the Monday before Thanksgiving I was driving and all of a sudden had a bad " Shudder" while driving. CEL came on right away. It was # 1 coil failure. A few monthe ago I had a intermttent miss and it was coil 3 so I had replaced that and things were fine til this. So put another new coil in and still no go. Doing some research found that the PCM/ECM has no protection for a bad coil. It kills the driver for that cylinder if it is a complete coil failure. Dealer wanted almost $2500 for the new pcm and coils and new keys. I found www.circuitboardmedics.com and found the exact issue .

http://circuitboardmedics.com/2007-2010-ford-edge-pcm-ecm-repair/

Had this same problem 2008 Ford Edge, I am a female and no auto mechanic. The dealership is charging me almost $3000 for a new computer and replacing coils that had melted. In 2008 I paid 40,005 for this piece of crap !!!!!! Just stupid I guess. 

Sent off my PCM/ECM and 4 days later had it back .

I put in all new coils and since I had 85,000 miles I replaced the plugs so I don't have to do it in 15,000 and repay for labor to do the same thing.

I used factory Ford Coils & Plugs. $547 and the $359.99 Repair which included Overnight Shipping both ways. I got to keep all my keys and Didn't have to worry about reprogramming my remote start bypass. These guys are very helpful and fast.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried to claim for this PCM/ECM issue in small claims court? I know my car is a 2008 but I only have 55,000 miles on it, this shouldn't have happened. The problem began when at the Ford plant. So far with this vehicle I of course had the bad airbag, next there was an electrical failure with the lift-gate which came down hitting my neck and shoulder. Now with this latest issue I was fortunate that the car didn't catch on fire. It is like the car is trying to kill me, or more likely Ford's attitude towards profit over quality and reliability. 

28 minutes ago, viera2647 said:

Has anyone tried to claim for this PCM/ECM issue in small claims court? I know my car is a 2008 but I only have 55,000 miles on it, this shouldn't have happened. The problem began when at the Ford plant. So far with this vehicle I of course had the bad airbag, next there was an electrical failure with the lift-gate which came down hitting my neck and shoulder. Now with this latest issue I was fortunate that the car didn't catch on fire. It is like the car is trying to kill me, or more likely Ford's attitude towards profit over quality and reliability. 

No recourse.  It's a warranty issue - if you are outside the limited factory warranty or the extended warranty then you have to pay for any repairs.  This is no different than any other defect.