Traction Control & ABS lights stay on!

We had a few snow falls here and each time I start driving on Snow after a few KMs the ABS and Traction Control lights both come on and stay that way for at least 10-20 KM, and then they go off!

Do I need to worry about this?

Thanks

Hi The Canadian. :D Well, it certainly isn't normal.

Next time it snows, drive to your Dealership. Plan the drive so that the lights will come on, and still be on when you get there. When you get there, don't turn off the car (if switching off the ignition means the lights will be off when you restart).

This way you can show them the vehicle while the lights are on, and the fault will be obvious. If the lights are not on, it may be difficult for them to find the problem.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

As of the last 5 days, I have had the same issue. Only the traction control light comes on for mine, but this light will come on and stay on even right after start-up. Every other day or so, the light will go off and stay off for certain periods of time, but it seems to resurface occasionally. There seems to be no ryhme or reason to the light coming on. I took it out on our snow-packed neighborhood streets this weekend and tried to break it loose a few times to see if it was actually engaging the traction control or if it was damaged. Seemed to engage, but it was very difficult to fish-tail the AWD so I could barely tell the difference between traction control on or off. Even after breaking it loose a few times, the light stayed off and would only come on after I turned traction control off (which is the way it should work). I called the dealer and he told me that they have had many of the same complaints. He said that the vehicle may be trying to "learn" the driving habits of the driver and just need to work out the kinks of the new vehicle. Mine only has about 600 miles so he said to drive it a few more days and if the light continues to come on and stay on then bring it in to get checked out.

Is this a typical problem for many Edge owners? The only common pattern for the light coming on seems to be the temperature outside. On the really cold days we've had it seems to be on, but on the warmer days the light stays off. Any thoughts here???

I have a backup warning in an Explorer.. Separate button on the dash for that, to disengage the warning.. Same problem in a way.. Usually during real cold weather, when I'm backing up, I notice no warning going off. I look at the button, it's lit up. Telling me it's disabled. No rime or reason for it, other than cold. Sounds similar, but it's also hard to reproduce. I push the button to enable it, and everything works once again..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys - the lights on the dash indicate a system fault, not the system learning... Even if the lights on the dash are no longer lit up, the instrument cluster will store some fault codes for a certain number of key cycles. Probably best to stop by the dealership and have them pull codes from the ABS module and see what's going on. Might just need a new sensor installed.

Hope they're able to help you out!

Glad to hear that the dealership was able to find out where the fault was coming from. Hope that cures it for you!

We've loved our AWD Edge in the snow - it's great how you can stab the throttle a bit and break the back end loose around slow corners. Almost makes it feel like rear wheel drive when you want it to! Feels very planted elsewhere, with the AWD system working seamlessly.

• 1 month later...