Losing mpg and Developed a whine/hum

tanman_2006

The car currently has 106k miles ('10 edge fwd) and we typically get 26-28mpg on the highway (unusually high from most reports) and our mpg has slowly been dropping.

I know it has a strut bearing out on the front driver side. I also know my parents only ever had the passenger side strut bearing changed otherwise never had any work done from new until I bought it.

Today on the highway I noticed a whine coming from the front passenger or rear of the car and experienced a low (for me) 23mpg. This screams tune up and/or wheel bearing time to me. Plugs look tight but manageable under the firewall but I haven't seen any wheel bearing and strut change threads w/ good pics, how too, and tools needed.

Any help on good reading and perfered parts would be great (Moog, ford house, etc)

Thanks

I use Moog parts whenever possible. The rear bearings (if I remember) have options. 1) you can change out the bearing only, but you need access to a press) or 2)you can change out the whole hub. Changing the whole hub cost more. The front will be hub only replacement if I have things right. I think if you check out a few videos on strut changes you will get the idea. I never video recorded my change out. One thing is to remove the plastic covering that is over the strut this will open up tons of access to the top three mounting bolts over the struts otherwise they are a mama bear to get to. Not really hard to do.

Edited by macbwt

Does sound like wheel bearings to me as well. Is it more prominent turning to the left or right? Motorcraft, Timken, or SKF should all be good brands for this part. Front bearings here, can also find bearings & hubs on Rockauto.com, and on LevittownSuperFordCenter.com (Suspension & Steering, Front or Rear Suspension, Brake Components).

The other possibility, IF you had AWD (which you don't), would have been the PTU since the problem just started out.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W