Options for Reliability being Most Important

reeseyt

Hello Edge owners (prospective as well),

I have been looking at many midsize SUVs (XC90,Forrester, Journey, Sorrento, x5, q3, cx7, and Equinox) and have begun leaning towards the Ford Edge. My reasoning for leaning is the reliability and the repair costs. The questions I had I'm not sure if its best for Owner Impressions or Buying.

I'm wondering which year from 2008 to 2012 was best at reliability and cost of repairs. I understand the Ecoboost 2.0 can help save on $$ in the long run, but how bad is MyFordTouch? All wheel drive would be nice for Michigan but if an axle or transfer case goes & costs me $3000 it's not worth it. I'm between going for an older 3.5L AWD or a newer 2.0 ecoboost. I'm really set at spending $12 to $13K. Also, how important is it to stay away from Edges' with 70 to 80k miles if I want it to last 10 years.

Thanx for any input

The engine won't matter - both should be fine. The 2007-2008 models have rusting fuel tanks. They've been recalled and will be replaced but it may take several months. A 2009-2012 model will be safer but I would still have the fuel tank checked for rust.

The PTU for AWD models can leak but the newer models seem to only have that problem occasionally.

MyFordTouch with the latest software is very stable unless you have bad hardware - check it and if it's sluggish or has problems check the version. I think 3.6 is the latest.

• Like 1

The engine won't matter - both should be fine.

Between the 2.0 ecoboost & 3.5 V6 there's quite a bit of differences in technology & internals. I was looking to see which one is more likely to be able to take stop & go abuse over the course of 180K miles without powertrain failure.

Eh...sounds like an answer from Ford honestly. I wonder if your average lead foot soccer mom (or dad for that matter) can do better "durability standard" testing. From what I've seen in forums there's quite a difference between real world & factory durability testing traditionally. Maybe things have changed.

I was looking in Owner Impressions, your not the most friendly guy on here, huh? Appreciate the advice, and I never questioned your honesty. "Durability Standard" sounds like an industry term, I just wanted to make sure beating up the powertrain on a 95 degree day for a few years doesn't bring up problems. Domestic automakers have had trouble historically with reliability. Things are changing though. Thanx for going into more detail also.

Sorry but you said it as if you thought I was a Ford schill giving you false information. I own a 2.0L Ecoboost engine - in a 2013 Ford Fusion so that qualifies me as an owner of an ecoboost engine.

Between this forum, the Fusion forum and blueovalforums - all Ford related - there have been no more reports of premature engine failure on ecoboost engines than any other engine. An Edge member here has over 300K miles on his 3.5L engine. Ford's 150K mile durability testing has been proven in real life. If you don't want to believe it then that's fine.

• Like 1

Sorry but you said it as if you thought I was a Ford schill giving you false information. I own a 2.0L Ecoboost engine - in a 2013 Ford Fusion so that qualifies me as an owner of an ecoboost engine.

Between this forum, the Fusion forum and blueovalforums - all Ford related - there have been no more reports of premature engine failure on ecoboost engines than any other engine. An Edge member here has over 300K miles on his 3.5L engine. Ford's 150K mile durability testing has been proven in real life. If you don't want to believe it then that's fine.

All these interesting details you're adding because you're annoyed with my responses are actually the details I was fishing for in the first place.

Based on your sticker price perimeters having myself just been shopping and today purchased a 2011 Ford Edge. Your most likely going to find not much newer than a 2010 FWD. You will most likely find an AWD 2008 or 2009 with 130K plus miles in that price range, but nothing any newer than that. If you do find one check it good and have it inspected. The used car market was destroyed by the cash for clunkers and you are also looking for a very popular vehicle (for a reason) that has great reliability. I have most likely one of the highest mileage Edges on this forum. Not going to say the 3.5 is bullet proof but it is darn close. By the way all Ford reps on here are identified openly as far as I am concerned. The moderators are just folks that are very loyal owners of Ford vehicles that enjoy assisting others with advice. Given freely. I have provided my experiences past and current on this forum to help others without cost. Be humble and you shall reap the benefits of their insight and experiences in assiting you in making a decision. Remember experiences have two flavors (Good) and (Bad) Which do you want?

• Like 2

Based on your sticker price perimeters having myself just been shopping and today purchased a 2011 Ford Edge. Your most likely going to find not much newer than a 2010 FWD. You will most likely find an AWD 2008 or 2009 with 130K plus miles in that price range, but nothing any newer than that. If you do find one check it good and have it inspected. The used car market was destroyed by the cash for clunkers and you are also looking for a very popular vehicle (for a reason) that has great reliability. I have most likely one of the highest mileage Edges on this forum. Not going to say the 3.5 is bullet proof but it is darn close. By the way all Ford reps on here are identified openly as far as I am concerned. The moderators are just folks that are very loyal owners of Ford vehicles that enjoy assisting others with advice. Given freely. I have provided my experiences past and current on this forum to help others without cost. Be humble and you shall reap the benefits of their insight and experiences in assiting you in making a decision. Remember experiences have two flavors (Good) and (Bad) Which do you want?

Thanx for that insight. As far as being humble, I'm actually active in quite a few forums of older car models and it's nothing wrong with wanting a detailed answer in them. I wasn't trying to be pompous by no means, but a short simple answer isn't always a good one.