Cargo Privacy Shade

If you mean the FORD accessory Cargo Area Privacy Cover (I have this one), it is simply an add-on, and there is no required pre-consideration necessary if you want one... it can be added at any time. There was some discussion in another thread about whether or not there is a FACTORY installed cover option, but I have no info on this if it exists. Possibly another poster can enlighten us... Meanwhile here is some info/opinion about mine:

Install & Fit:

The cover is constructed of a (thicker, but not exactly 'heavy-duty') vinyl material, cut to shape and hem-stitched around its perimeter. It's a "tool-less" install except for the two pilot holes that are drilled into the plastic trim near the hatch opening on the right and left sides, about level with the height of the top of the rear seats. These are used for mounting the two-pronged plastic hooks (they look like miniature versions of the ties used as mooring points on a boat dock), where the two short elastic bands on the rear of the cover attach. Once installed, the cover is then suspended over the cargo area at about seat-top level, held in place from the front (3 headrest bands), sides (trim hooks at base of each rear side window, with sewn-in weighted inserts), and the aforementioned rear hooks and bands. The cover is cut to take the shape of the top of the cargo opening (includes the inside shape of the hatch when closed), and does fit well in this regard, with minimal "flap" during travel (windows closed). Curious to see if this holds true once the elastic bands age some, and hot weather returns to soften the vinyl/elastic and back windows may be opened to allow air wash over the cover (flapping & noise?).

Use:

Since the cover has no retracting mechanism, once in place, it can not easily be "opened" or moved out of the way to provide good access to the cargo space, other than the very back edge (no pun intended..) closest to the back lip of the opening. Without detaching any of the rear or side anchoring points (not easily done one-handed or when carrying packages), one is forced to simply bend down and reach under the cover to place or retrieve objects, and when this is done, the cover's rear side ends up just about in your face. Releasing the two rear bands off of their hooks allows about 1/3 of the cover to "droop" down to expose a bit more of the cargo area, but then is in the way of placing/picking up your parcels. This back 1/3 of the cover will not stay in place when folded up and over toward the front (at least in my vehicle), which would make it somewhat more workable. It just falls back down in the way. If you need even more access to items stored further forward toward the rear seats, you will likely need to lean in and release the two side hooks in addition to the rear ones. These two plastic hooks are attached to the cover via flat elastic bands, are "fish hook" shaped, and are not easily manuevered into/out of the small gap between the plastic cargo area trim and the glass of the rear side windows while leaning into the cargo area with your knees pressed against the car's rear (and dirty..?) bumper. They are thin plastic and don't seem very robust, and so may be suseptible to breakage if overly exerted upon during this exersize. Once these hooks are removed, the cover can then be flipped up and forward toward the rear seats (if you can reach in far enough to do this, shorter folks may have trouble here), and will stay folded over there. All of the above would then need to be done in reverse order of course to button things back up.

Overall, this item does accomplish the basic task it is designed for, that is, to keep items in the cargo area out of sight of prying eyes and maybe out of a bright sun at times, but (IMHO) would not be described as a "convenience" to use. Unknown at this time how it will hold up to continued use. Also, the cost at ~$115 does not seem to balance against the actual construction and lack of ease in using this product.

GMan

Edited by GMan's_2008_Edge

That is a great description! Is it safe to assume that the eleastice bands allow the rear seats to be reclined? I was curious as to how that worked.

A friend of mine has an older Acura MDX. It has a retractable cargo shade attached just behind the rear seats. The rear seats in his MDX do not recline.

I ordered the privacy shade because I usually have a messy trunk and I thought it would help in case I missed an actual trunk. lol

Should be getting my Edge towards the end of Jan.

Is it safe to assume that the eleastice bands allow the rear seats to be reclined? I was curious as to how that worked.

Yes, since the elastic bands simply slip over the headrests, the rear seats can still be reclined with the cargo area cover installed, however, the cover is designed to fit snugly with the seats in their "fully upright and locked positions", so reclining the rear seat backs will cause the cover to sag a bit.

Should be getting my Edge towards the end of Jan.

Cargo cover issues aside, I'm sure you will enjoy your new Edge once you get it.. good luck..! :yup:

Years ago Ford provided an option on the old Taurus wagon which was a retractable cargo cover. There were two "u" shaped clips mounted to the side of the rear cargo area right behind the rear seats. The cover could be kept in the back lying flat on the floor and when needed you just picked it up, inserted the unit in the clips and unrolled the cover just like a retractable window shade. There were two similar U clips right at the rear which the bar in the end of the cover just slipped in to. Very clean, simple and easy to use or remove.

I'm surprised someone like weathertech hasn't offered this as a retrofit kit. Four holes in the side plastic and a retractable window shade and you are in business.

I might go look at the dealers parts counter next time i'm in for service.

I ordered one of these for my Edge and when it arrived was very disappointed with the over all quality and design. Luckily I did not pay for the item as I would be disgusted with the price of this thing. I also had issues with the drilling process into the back plastic panels. I think the cargo covers for the Explorers are much better in quality but realize the same design could not be made for the Edge as the cargo area is an awkard shape.

• 4 weeks later...