Backup Camera Without My Touch

As a newly-anointed Edge owner, hello and thanks for all the info in this forum. I've learned a lot already, but it seems like most of the backup camera woes are also with the FMT system.

I just purchased a 2012 Edge SEL without FMT. It just has the regular small screen Voice Sync system. The dealer promoted the car as having a backup camera and there is, in fact, an OEM camera above the license plate. Having test drove a couple Edges with backup cameras I didn't consider that this one wouldn't actually work.

Shifting into reverse activates the park assist sensors, but the screens do not change to indicate anything about a backup camera. Although the Carfax is clean, I'm starting to worry that the liftgate was replaced at some point, due to the presence of a non-functional camera. I've been investigating this by reviewing the '12 option packages and have concluded that while the backup camera was available without FMT, it was not available without also getting leather. Since I have cloth seats, I think that having a factory backup camera was impossible.

Firstly, can anyone confirm that this camera is not factory? Were the cameras available as one-off dealer-installed option or only included in factory option packages?

Secondly, since I really wanted a backup camera, is there any way to check if this one is hooked up to anything? Are there specific wires I can check for in the lift-gate wire bundle? Are the non-FMT radios compatible with backup cameras and are there install guides around for hooking up to non-FMT systems?\

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a the Window Sticker? Is it mentioned in the options?

If you don't have the window sticker, use the below link, just add the VIN at the end (after "=").

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=

You can also use the Ford ETIS website to find more details of the car, go to the vehicle tab & enter the VIN, once vehicle details come up, on the right lower corner, expand the "Minor Features" to check all the specs.

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

Though the vehicles we have here are "Export" models, the options & packages usually match those available in the US, and I have seen several 2012 Edge SEL with cloth seats, no MFT, with Backup Cam.

• Like 1

I was hopeful, but I checked the mirror and the harness only has 4 wires, so it's not installed there. I might still contact the original dealer and see if they have any records on it.

The lift gate hinge bolts don't show any signs of replacement, so now I have the mystery of why there's an OEM backup camera installed in a vehicle that didn't ship with a backup cam (I found the window sticker to confirm). I'm going to pull the panel and see if it's hooked up to anything.

Has anyone tried adding a camera to a non-my touch system? It was possible to get, from what I can see in the sales brochure, so the software and harnesses could be there.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried going into diagnostic mode, but there's nothing about a camera in there. I may have screwed up by installing the Sync App Link update. I wonder if my unit had been flashed with a backup camera software and I un-did it by updating via the Ford site. Assuming that, based on my VIN, Ford would have given me software without the backup camera.

I'm sure this setup is possible, given the photos on this other post, http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/14729-oem-backup-camera-for-2013-edge-se/ and assuming the wiring is already done, I think I just have a software problem.

Does anyone know if there's a repository with all the versions of Sync? Or can you only get the one that Ford thinks you should have based on your VIN?