SEL FULLY loaded with all options versus Limted

Lex Talionis

So, in talking to the sales guy yesterday.. there are only a few things I do not care about on the Limited that separate it from a fully optioned out SEL (1) Beltline molding (just 1 piece less of chrome for me), (2) the Limited badge (whoooo), and (3) the premium plastic clad chromeish wheels...

And, the wheels I do like, the '18" premium painted aluminum' only come on the SEl plus that Beltline piece on the SEL is nice all black. great for me.

And, I was told by the salesman - which he is confirming - if I fully loaded it just like a Limited, it should also be cheaper (fleet pricing and base model is cheaper).

He tells me I am in the small 10% that actually look at ordering just what they want versus buying a prepackaged model off the lot and because of that, I can get exactly what I want, not what I do not want, and save a little coin.

So... am I missing something or does this seem correct? If so, why do more people not slow down and order just what they want?

I had looked into this before picking the Limited.

One other difference is that the Limited comes with BOTH the Premium and Seating Flexibility packages as standard.

With the SEL, you have to pick one or the other.

Therefore, the SEL should be cheaper as the cost of either of those options is significant.

- John

wow.. that REALLY sucks for me.. it seems nutty I cannot just get what I want the way I want it :( can't figure why both those cannot be in the same car, if they can do it on a Limted and you can do 1 option or the other on a SEL why not both???

Hi Lex. :D I always "Factory Order" my cars, and always recommend the same to anyone who has the ability of being able to wait a few weeks for the luxury of getting the exact car that they want. No paying for unwanted extra equipment. No settling for second choices on interior or exterior colors. No missing equipment. And sometimes best of all, not having to wonder who the heck may have been test driving their new car (or abusing it) before they purchased it.

I know this may seem strange to those who do not order their cars, but I would not take a car off the Dealer lot or a Dealer transfer, even if it did match exactly what I wanted. I would still "Factory Order" my new car. Just my own personal preference.

There are many differences in standard equipment between the SEL and the Limited, and option packages that will not match up if you try to load an SEL to be the same as a Limited. There are too many for me to begin copying and pasting, so here is a link to the Ford Edge web page, which details the different standard equipment between models: LINK: Ford Edge

Unfortunately, in most cases a Salesman is not the place to go for good information, as they normally will not admit they do not know and have to look it up. They will wing it. Of course, there are good ones out there, but they are sometimes hard to find.

And just for informational purposes, there is a reason why you cannot get all the options on a "lower end" model which are available on a "higher end" model. This is to keep the "higher end" model a little more exclusive. Thus, you need to pay more for the higher end models added features. I am not saying I agree with the philosophy, I am just explaining it.

Hope this information helps. Click on the link, it will help explain things much better than your Salesman did.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

yeah, I always custom build my bikes.. so why not a car. never really occurred to me to try to do so until now. I assumed it was some Jedi mind trick they have me and everyone thinking it must be on the lot or transferred in or no dice.

As for the main question, my salesman SWEARS/PROMISIES/KNOWS (so he says) that you can in fact get a SEL with the Premium and Seating Flexibility packages together. He is so sure, he promises it - but will confirm with me tomorrow :) If so, it would contradict the Ford website, what I was told here, and the manual from the dealer we looked at. He swears dozens of SEL Edges have gone out with the Premium and Seating Flexibility packages. I am leery to be sure and think he is wrong. Hope he is correct, but doubt it as 3 avenues of research say no and only he says yes.

yeah, I always custom build my bikes.. so why not a car. never really occurred to me to try to do so until now. I assumed it was some Jedi mind trick they have me and everyone thinking it must be on the lot or transferred in or no dice.

As for the main question, my salesman SWEARS/PROMISIES/KNOWS (so he says) that you can in fact get a SEL with the Premium and Seating Flexibility packages together. He is so sure, he promises it - but will confirm with me tomorrow :) If so, it would contradict the Ford website, what I was told here, and the manual from the dealer we looked at. He swears dozens of SEL Edges have gone out with the Premium and Seating Flexibility packages. I am leery to be sure and think he is wrong. Hope he is correct, but doubt it as 3 avenues of research say no and only he says yes.

When we ordered our 2008 Limited I found that the Limited was actually less than the SEL that had less equipment. Check your numbers closely.

Figure the Limited at $2,700 over the SEL before options.

Standard Limited features cost this much on an SEL:

SYNC $336

Chrome wheels $638

Reverse Sensing $251

Leather seats $838

9 Speaker audio $328

Plus the Limited has standard:

memory seats (in SEL premium seating package)

6 way power passenger seat (in SEL premium seating pkg.)

Dual climate controls

Universal garage door opener

If you don't want chrome clad wheels, and a few more features that are standard on the Limited, the SEL to meet your requirements should invoice for less money than a Limited. :happy feet:

Grey -

this all comes up as I do not want the Chrome Clad wheels, but want the 18" premium painted wheels.. BUT it seems they just cannot put those wheels on a Limited as they are SEL wheels... SO, since they do come on a SEL, we instead looked at maybe a SEL loaded just like a Limited so I could get the wheels I want and the bonus was it also devoid of the chrome Beltline, and Limted Badge (and the Chrome Clad wheels of course)... great, as I do not care about those items anyway.

this is why the topic even came up. I DO want all of the actual 'features' on the Limited - I want Premium and Seating Flexibility packages - I just hate those plastic wheels and could not care about those 2 other small items above, so a SEL loaded to the hilt to get my wheels and all the options seemed like the way to go. Funny thing is, I am just stunned they cannot give me the SEL wheels I want on the Limited (maybe also credit me the price difference) and we get on with it...

Hi Lex. :D I always "Factory Order" my cars, and always recommend the same to anyone who has the ability of being able to wait a few weeks for the luxury of getting the exact car that they want. No paying for unwanted extra equipment. No settling for second choices on interior or exterior colors. No missing equipment. And sometimes best of all, not having to wonder who the heck may have been test driving their new car (or abusing it) before they purchased it.

I know this may seem strange to those who do not order their cars, but I would not take a car off the Dealer lot or a Dealer transfer, even if it did match exactly what I wanted. I would still "Factory Order" my new car. Just my own personal preference.

There are many differences in standard equipment between the SEL and the Limited, and option packages that will not match up if you try to load an SEL to be the same as a Limited. There are too many for me to begin copying and pasting, so here is a link to the Ford Edge web page, which details the different standard equipment between models: LINK: Ford Edge

Unfortunately, in most cases a Salesman is not the place to go for good information, as they normally will not admit they do not know and have to look it up. They will wing it. Of course, there are good ones out there, but they are sometimes hard to find.

And just for informational purposes, there is a reason why you cannot get all the options on a "lower end" model which are available on a "higher end" model. This is to keep the "higher end" model a little more exclusive. Thus, you need to pay more for the higher end models added features. I am not saying I agree with the philosophy, I am just explaining it.

Hope this information helps. Click on the link, it will help explain things much better than your Salesman did.

I am curious... when you 'Factory Order' a vehicle, is it just like building it on the website like I can do already? or do they actually have more flexibility, discretion to combine options, abilities and items to pick and choose from at the dealership when you build it yourself via the web?

I am curious... when you 'Factory Order' a vehicle, is it just like building it on the website like I can do already? or do they actually have more flexibility, discretion to combine options, abilities and items to pick and choose from at the dealership when you build it yourself via the web?

Hi Lex. :D The answer to your first question is yes. Assuming that the website has the most up to date option/option package/order information, the process is essentially exactly the same.

So under that assumption, the answer to your second question would be no, the Dealer has no more discretion to combine options on a "Factory Order" than a stock order, so you would not be able to do what you want.

Unfortunately, it is the same industry wide, no matter which car manufacturer you are looking at. They have decided that bundling options into packages is cost effective, and limiting particular packages to upscale vehicle trim levels gives them a certain exclusivity, thus convincing some people to upgrade to the higher trim level.

Edited by bbf2530

thanks for clarification... kind of what I guessed, but hoped they could 'override' the system and give me the wheels I want.

it seems, we will be at a crossroads then. I do NOT want those chrome clad wheels. period. hate em. no thanks. and yet I cannot get the wheels I want. So, I would have to (1) take the wheels I hate and promptly go 'buy' - spend even more money - the wheels I want and then have those bunk wheels sitting in my garage or (2) buy the SEL just to get the wheels I want and yet not get both Premium and Seating Flexibility packages.

why ooooo why cant they let me buy a Limited, order me some SEL wheels I want, put them on for me, credit me the diff between the chrome clad and SEL wheels and resell the chrome clads to someone who likes them but wants them on their SEL as chrome clads are an option on the SEL anyway and some on the lot have the wheels I want and some do not so they would have a set of chrome clads ready to sell or upgrade. pow, done, easy.

:rant:

Edited by Lex Talionis

thanks for clarification... kind of what I guessed, but hoped they could 'override' the system and give me the wheels I want.

it seems, we will be at a crossroads then. I do NOT want those chrome clad wheels. period. hate em. no thanks. and yet I cannot get the wheels I want. So, I would have to (1) take the wheels I hate and promptly go 'buy' - spend even more money - the wheels I want and then have those bunk wheels sitting in my garage or (2) buy the SEL just to get the wheels I want and yet not get both Premium and Seating Flexibility packages.

:rant:

Hi Lex. :D Have you asked the Sales Manager (not the Salesman), or another higher up if they will simply switch the wheels from the Limited you order, with the wheels from an SEL on the lot?

Pitch it to them like this, "It is a win win situation. I can get the wheels I want. You (the Dealer) get a sale, and they can just charge an ADM (Additional Dealer Markup) for the "Chrome Clad" wheels to the eventual SEL buyer".

To add a little "incentive" (pressure) for them, you can also tell them that you need to hold off purchasing from them, as you want to shop around and see if another Dealer will accommodate your wheel trade request. In other words, if you don't give me what I would like, I am going to try and find someone who will, and buy from them. This may get them to work with you. The worst that can happen is they will still say no.

Unfortunately, you most likely will not be able to get any sort of refund on the wheel cost, but at least you may be able to get what you want. However, you can always ask for a credit. The worst that can happen is they say no.

It is worth a try. Again. the worst that can happen is they say no.

Your other option would be to see for real if another Dealer would be willing to make the same sort of trade, and buy from them.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

thats exactly my plan. I knew I would ask them, just wanted to find out here more facts on the process so I am somewhat armed with knowledge before making a claim or suggestion.

and no, I have only been talking to the salesman - I have NOT talked to the sales 'manager' - or anyone else higher up. My salesman is nice enough and I want to buy from him, but even I know more about his car than he does - thanks to sites like this an a little web research. so, that will be my next move and I will be doing as you suggest and try to sell it as everyone wins - which is 100% true and I hope they see it that way. stupid wheels could kill or salvage a sale in my case :headscratch:

thats exactly my plan. I knew I would ask them, just wanted to find out here more facts on the process so I am somewhat armed with knowledge before making a claim or suggestion.

and no, I have only been talking to the salesman - I have NOT talked to the sales 'manager' - or anyone else higher up. My salesman is nice enough and I want to buy from him, but even I know more about his car than he does - thanks to sites like this an a little web research. so, that will be my next move and I will be doing as you suggest and try to sell it as everyone wins - which is 100% true and I hope they see it that way. stupid wheels could kill or salvage a sale in my case :headscratch:

If you know what you want just deal directly with the sales manager. He'll probably hand you off to a sales droid to write up the sale but he'll be much easier to negotiate with for the wheel swap.

As far as factory orders go - just remember one thing - every vehicle made is ordered from the factory by the dealer. The only difference is whether the dealer picks the options or you tell the dealer which options to pick. The factory treats it the same.

My dealer once did a wheel swap for me. My wife wanted a Chrysler Town & Country van in gold as well equipped as possible. The limited model did not come in gold, so we loaded up an LX with as much as we could. But, the LX came with silver wheels instead of gold on the Limited and my wife liked the gold wheels. At the same time, the dealer had another buyer that wanted a red limited but did not like the gold limited wheels. Both vans came in on the same truck and the dealer swapped the wheels/tires in about 20 minutes and then had two very happy customers. I got matching gold wheels that we never saw on another LX and the other customer got a red limited with the silver wheels they wanted. I would bet the dealer would be happy to exchange the chrome clad wheels from your limited Edge with the 18" SEL wheels you want. I would not count on a credit as there really is not that much price difference between the 18" chrome clad wheel and the 18" regular wheel. Good luck and fight to get what you really want!!!

thanks... yeah, I am a scrapper.. so I will go down swinging to get what I want, not what they want to sell... assuming they even want to sell me a car :)

BTW, the websites shows - on an SEL - the price diff between the 18" funky Chrome Clad and the cleaner 18" Premium Painted Aluminum I want (seen as the center image here BTW: http://www.fordvehicles.com/util/uad/index...083&nType=2 ) as $175 less for the latter. So, that would be my working number.

They must have changed something for the '08s as my '07 SEL+ has both the premium and seating flexibility package.

Hi carbonedge. :D Yes, what they changed was the model (trim level) names. If I remember correctly, the SEL Plus was replaced by the Limited. You could get both options in 2007 on the SEL Plus, not the 2007 SEL.

Lex is looking at the 2008 SEL (there is no SEL Plus in 2008), or the Limited. You can get both option packages on the 2008 Limited (equivalent of your 2007 SEL Plus), but not the SEL (equivalent of the 2007 SEL). Thus, the conundrum! :shrug:

Edited by bbf2530

I would like to build an SEL with all Limted options as I would get the wheels I want and I get the bonus of no chrome Beltline as it comes black on the SEL. That would be win win for me.

BUT, I think that maybe the real outcome would be a Limited and try to finagle the dealer into 'down-grading' to the SEL wheels for me.

I suspect bbf nailed it there.....

salesman was suppose to call tonight about the truth of getting an SEL with both premium and seating flexibility package or maybe a Limited with SEL wheels... but no call. Hmmmm, I wonder if he is instructed that if the guy does not commit to buy by xxx time/interactions, stop contact with him and move on as he is likely a lame duck :)

UPDATE... here is how it all went down today, no more guessing... using X-Plan

I ended up having to do the Limited as they just could NOT build the SEL with both the packages I wanted. Funny thing is, in the end, custom building an SEL and still not getting both packages was slightly more expensive ($100) than getting the Limited with both the packages I wanted. go figure. cheaper and I got the items I wanted.

Now, as for the wheels... I ended up getting them to give me the SEL wheels I wanted AND with the new tires that will come with the Limited I ordered AND credit me the $489 difference for dropping from those chrome clad to the premium painted (which is an upgrade to me). :)

So it is an '08 Edge Limited:

FWD

White Sand

Black Leather

Sync

Premium Package

Seating Flex

Vista roof

DVD Nav system

Power lift-gate

Cargo management

Sirius

SEL Premium Painted wheels versus Chrome Clad wheels

UPDATE... here is how it all went down today, no more guessing... using X-Plan

I ended up having to do the Limited as they just could NOT build the SEL with both the packages I wanted. Funny thing is, in the end, custom building an SEL and still not getting both packages was slightly more expensive ($100) than getting the Limited with both the packages I wanted. go figure. cheaper and I got the items I wanted.

Now, as for the wheels... I ended up getting them to give me the SEL wheels I wanted AND with the new tires that will come with the Limited I ordered AND credit me the $489 difference for dropping from those chrome clad to the premium painted (which is an upgrade to me). :)

So it is an '08 Edge Limited:

FWD

White Sand

Black Leather

Sync

Premium Package

Seating Flex

Vista roof

DVD Nav system

Power lift-gate

Cargo management

Sirius

SEL Premium Painted wheels versus Chrome Clad wheels

Hi Lex. :D Glad it all worked out in the end.

Additionally, there are rules the Dealer must follow for X-Plan sales. First, did they show you the "Factory Invoice" (not the "MSRP" Window Sticker) with the box labeled "X-Plan"? Did they give you a copy of that "Factory Invoice"? They are required to do those things.

Also, be sure the Dealer charged you no extra fees, other than Tax, Title and Registration and a "Documentation Fee" (which according to X-Plan rules is limited to a $75 maximum).

I hope your wait is not too long, and good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Great news - Congrats

When the vehicle comes in, the best way to determine that you are getting the correct pricing is to have them run a VinCent report on your vehicle. It will identify all incentives you might be eligible for (national incentives - cash or APR), local or special X-Plan incentives (if any), association incentives (through your workplace or associations - if any).

People often don't realize that AARP, national horse owners association, supplier companies to Ford, etc. occasionally have bonus incentives. If the dealer doesn't check and ask, it goes unnoticed and unclaimed.

Incentives can vary by zip code so they will put that in first in their VinCent search. If you live in Tennessee, but buy in Georgia, you will get the incnetives for your zip code in Tennessee. :happy feet:

Edited by Grey