Anyway to get HD Radio?

I have a 2013 Ford Edge SEL with the Synch, My Ford Touch, with NAV setup but the FM radio is not HD capable. Is there anyway to get this capability without taking everything out and putting in a new unit? I can't seem to do a ebay auction copy and paste but was looking at auction number 311317586551 and this appears to be the Sony version that I know has HD radio built in. How compatible is this to my current setup as far as what I would need to replace if I tried to change out to this? Would I lose NAV? Thanks for any thoughts!

Edited by Dean Caudle

I can tell from pictures of both that the plugs are the same so it will plug, its just a matter of will it work once plugged in. I went ahead and got the faceplate as well but I think you may be right in that either faceplate would work since it is connected by the same plug connecter. I will report my findings once I get it and change them out. Really enjoy HD radio (Live in St Louis so a lot of HD radio stations in town).

• 2 weeks later...

So tried to install the Sony HD radio version into MFT today and it worked....except for the volume ;( All the hookups line up perfectly and everything fits. Even got the HD working and tuning HD stations flawlessly. Climate controls functions all work but neither the steering wheel volume control or the radio dial volume control would change the level of volume. Anything the pertained to sound could not be adjusted. I even tried the regular faceplate instead of the Sony version but it still would not control the volume level. So technically it worked but you had no control over volume level. At least now I know.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For those of us who want HD radio in our Non HD radio Edge...I found out that the radio receiver is inside the CD player. So if you buy a CD player/radio receiver on Ebay from say an Edge Limited which comes with the nice sound system and HD radio will it work? That is the question???

I have a 2013 Ford Edge SEL with the Synch, My Ford Touch, with NAV setup but the FM radio is not HD capable. Is there anyway to get this capability without taking everything out and putting in a new unit? I can't seem to do a ebay auction copy and paste but was looking at auction number 311317586551 and this appears to be the Sony version that I know has HD radio built in. How compatible is this to my current setup as far as what I would need to replace if I tried to change out to this? Would I lose NAV? Thanks for any thoughts!

I am also curious about this mod. I also have a 2013 SEL with Sync and MFT. Is there any mod that we can do to get HD radio in our Edge? Can we get some kind of HD module that is plug and play that will work?

I did Car Audio install professionally for 4 years. I still think the issue is that the Limited headunit doesn't have a built in amplifier. It probably has some very low power connector that goes to an external amp, like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171865901065?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82 which then powers the speakers. Whereas the non-Limited Headunit most likely has a small internal amplifier to power the speakers in the Edge.

If you replace the Headunit with the Limited version and buy an external amp like the one I linked to you could possibly get audio. It depends on if the harness that goes from the Limited headunit to the external amp is in the car, but just taped off somewhere unused at the factory. Not only would you have to connect the Limited headunit to the external amp, you would have to connect your speakers to the external amp. This could be as simple as taking the wiring harness for the speakers that plugs into the back of the non-Limited headunit and, if the connector is the same, plugging it into the output of the external amp. If the connector is different, you'll have to find the connector somewhere online, and splice it together with the wiring harness that currently goes to the speakers. Note that there will be extra wires as the Limited audio system has a center channel and subwoofer, perhaps more speakers than that, not sure.

This is just my theory, I haven't verified any of this, but in my experience this is how every other "Premium" audio system works in other vehicles.

• 1 month later...

I have figured out how to enable HD radio. It requires replacement of your ACM with an HD equipped ACM and then reprogramming of that ACM to match your vehicle along with programming the APIM to enable HD radio.

Hi Jason, do you know if the RDS that displays radio text can also be enabled and/or disabled? For the Middle East, our cars have the radios programmed to get all frequencies (for example 103.4 FM), but for some reason RDS does not work. We have the option to turn it on (on the MFT screen), but it does not turn on, remains off.

I have figured out how to enable HD radio. It requires replacement of your ACM with an HD equipped ACM and then reprogramming of that ACM to match your vehicle along with programming the APIM to enable HD radio.

What is an ACM? Does it mean...Audio Control Module? If so, where is it located, and could I get one from my local dealership and have them install and reprogram it?? Thanks for the post. :)

Not sure on the RDS...that is something I would have to test.

The ACM is the audio control module. If you are going to acquire one from the dealer be prepared to pay out the nose. It is the CD player, it contains the AM/FM radio, CD player and Sirius.

Don't forget you also have to get the APIM reprogammed which the dealer cant do.

Not sure on the RDS...that is something I would have to test.

The ACM is the audio control module. If you are going to acquire one from the dealer be prepared to pay out the nose. It is the CD player, it contains the AM/FM radio, CD player and Sirius.

Don't forget you also have to get the APIM reprogammed which the dealer cant do.

Hi Jason.

Thank you for the info on this. I bought an HD Audio Control Module (CD player/receiver) on Ebay already, so I have that part covered. It was from a totaled out 2013 Edge. I tried it in my Edge, and everything works except like the fade/balance, and volume. What is an APIM, and what is your guestimate on the cost of the re-program?

Thanks again for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

The APIM is the MFT brain. You would have to pull that and send it to me along with the ACM.

Just email me direct....jason@fordpimods.com

Update:

I sent Jason my APIM and ACM modules at FordPImods.com and now have HD radio in my Edge. B) Since I live in the Seattle area, I mailed my modules to Jason via USPS Priority Express mail, it got there within 2 days, he completed the mod no problem and shipped it back to me all within 5 days start to finish! The HD radio ACM module (which is basically the CD Player/Reciever) I got for $130.00 from Ebay, and the mod from Jason was $90.00. A very affordable, yet awesome mod to have, if you live in a metro area with a lot of HD radio stations to choose from.

Thank you so much for the service that you provide Jason! :):worship:

Edited by pnwedge
  • Like 2

Update:

I sent Jason my APIM and ACM modules at FordPImods.com and now have HD radio in my Edge. B) Since I live in the Seattle area, I mailed my modules to Jason via USPS Priority Express mail, it got there within 2 days, he completed the mod no problem and shipped it back to me all within 5 days start to finish! The HD radio ACM module (which is basically the CD Player/Reciever) I got for $130.00 from Ebay, and the mod from Jason was $90.00. A very affordable, yet awesome mod to have, if you live in a metro area with a lot of HD radio stations to choose from.

Thank you so much for the service that you provide Jason! :):worship:

You are welcome and thanks for letting me have the opportunity to upgrade it for you! One thing people should be aware of is the Sirius module is located within the ACM and is not interchangeable. So one thing Sirius Sat. subscribers will need to consider is the transfer of the service to the new ESN.

• Like 1