2.0 ecoboost..how is working in the new Edge?

garrett62

Well, we've had our Edge Titanium 2.0 for six months now and we're still pleased with the performance. I'm still amazed that a 2 liter engine can drag around such a large vehicle with such ease. Fuel mileage isn't what I'd hoped for, averaging 18.5 to 19 MPG, but that almost exclusively city driving. We'll be driving to Arizona in a month or so, and I'll be interested to see what it'll get on a long, freeway drive, about 800 miles round-trip.

• Like 1

The engine doesn't deserve it's "Eco Boost" name, but you'll see a good improvement with MPG on your long trip. I'm still on our original oil, but we gained 150 kms on our first distance trip.

Ā 

Power is impressive for a 4cyl, but I think this vehicle will really benefit from the new/anticipated 9-speed transmission. I find this high output 4, turbo, auto a bit notchy in some situations.

Ā 

The current AWD system is not very sophisticated and there was also talk about an upgrade (not sure if/when this would make it's way to the Edge), but the torque steer on the FWD is terrible. These all-season tires are terrible in the snow too. I was planning to buy snow tires eventually anyway, but I didn't expect them to be required right away.

Well, we've had our Edge Titanium 2.0 for six months now and we're still pleased with the performance. I'm still amazed that a 2 liter engine can drag around such a large vehicle with such ease. Fuel mileage isn't what I'd hoped for, averaging 18.5 to 19 MPG, but that almost exclusively city driving. We'll be driving to Arizona in a month or so, and I'll be interested to see what it'll get on a long, freeway drive, about 800 miles round-trip.

Wow, we get about 18 to 18.5 in a 2010 Edge with the 3.5L V6 with all city driving. Figured a 2.0L would do better, but it probably has to get into boost a lot in stop and go traffic. Should do better then the V6 at slower highway speeds, but you may do worse at 80+ MPH as it may need boost to steady cruise at those speeds. I'd guess the 2.0L does really well from about 40 to 70 MPH.

The current AWD system is not very sophisticated

Ā 

What does that mean? It's one of the more sophisticated ones on the market - it actually anticipates slippage before it occurs using steering and yaw sensors and throttle data.

Ā 

If you mean it doesn't have torque vectoring that's limited to luxury vehicles and high performance sports cars.

• Like 1

The engine doesn't deserve it's "Eco Boost" name, but you'll see a good improvement with MPG on your long trip. I'm still on our original oil, but we gained 150 kms on our first distance trip.

Ā 

Power is impressive for a 4cyl, but I think this vehicle will really benefit from the new/anticipated 9-speed transmission. I find this high output 4, turbo, auto a bit notchy in some situations.

Ā 

Ā 

Wow, we get about 18 to 18.5 in a 2010 Edge with the 3.5L V6 with all city driving. Figured a 2.0L would do better, but it probably has to get into boost a lot in stop and go traffic. Should do better then the V6 at slower highway speeds, but you may do worse at 80+ MPH as it may need boost to steady cruise at those speeds. I'd guess the 2.0L does really well from about 40 to 70 MPH.

Ā 

All depends on that right foot, what grade/quality fuel you're using (Top Tier Preferred), winter mix fuel, tire pressures, driving style etc. Most people forget that this is a turbo engine & is around full boost around 2,300 RPM (Don't have the exact figures in front of me) & need to 're-learn' how to drive in order to get the best MPG's out of the 2.0 Ecoboost. Accelerating to stop lights/signs is a very good way to burn fuel in these things. Just keep an eye on the fuel economy mode on the left side of the Speedometer & you'll see what i mean when you accelerate to stop. If you gradually get up to speed & coast to a stop sign, you're MPG's go way up. Anticipating stop lights or 'knowing' the cycle is also a good way to increase MPG's as you're not wasting fuel idling when you're getting 0 MPG's.

Ā 

I've also seen a 2-4 MPG difference between a Top Tier station & a non Top Tier Station. Gas just isn't gas any more. Different Gas Stations have different additives in the fuel & some are worse than others. Speedway Gas Stations are the worse & I avoid them at all costs unless it's an emergency to get me a few miles up the road.

Ā 

When my wife drives the car, she can't get much above 25-26mpg in the summer on the highway. When I drive, we get closer to 28-29. In the winter, she can barely get 23-24, but i get 25-27.

Ā 

We're taking a road trip over the weekend & it'll be the first road trip with my Oil Catch Can installed, so maybe we'll see an improvement there as well.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

Ā 

Ā 

We're taking a road trip over the weekend & it'll be the first road trip with my Oil Catch Can installed, so maybe we'll see an improvement there as well.

Cool, keep us posted. That's on my to-do list to, but apparently it's a warranty voider.

Ā 

I use premium fuel already, but I'm looking to see if MPG improves after I switch to full synthetic.

Ā 

No such thing. If the catch can causes a specific problem it won't be covered but it doesn't change coverage for other unrelated problems.

Good to know, thanks. However, first and second hand I know many-a-stories about dealers (many different brands) looking to excuses to deny warranty claims based on any modifications.

Ā 

I'm waiting for an ECU tune for this engine. Anyone know what the factory boost is?

They may try to deny a warranty claim but the law says they have to be able to prove there was a reasonable connection between the modification and the failure.

Ā 

E,g, if you put on big tires and wheels and your half shafts break, they won't cover that. But if your radio dies it's still covered.

They may try to deny a warranty claim but the law says they have to be able to prove there was a reasonable connection between the modification and the failure.

Ā 

E,g, if you put on big tires and wheels and your half shafts break, they won't cover that. But if your radio dies it's still covered.

Correction. I'd have to prove this in court. Most people don't go that far.

Cool, keep us posted. That's on my to-do list to, but apparently it's a warranty voider.

Ā 

I use premium fuel already, but I'm looking to see if MPG improves after I switch to full synthetic.

Will do.

Ā 

Keep in mind that premium fuel doesn't necessarily mean that it's a Top Tier fuel. Read up on it here:

http://www.toptiergas.com

Ā 

I would recommend changing your oil ASAP & switch to a full synthetic. I believe that the factory oil is synthetic blend. Plus you get a lot of the 'break in' stuff out & fresh clean oil in.

Ā 

As for the Catch Can, all depends on the dealer. Some are more understanding than others. Most will understand its purpose, others just want to make a buck. You could always ask your preferred dealer & get their thoughts. They may want to install the product & should take around an hour and a half to 2 hours to install. Worth every penny in my book

Edited by lildisco

With the exception of some of Ford's specialty vehicles, the factory fill is a synthetic blend. It is actually a good synthetic blend based on what is currently available on the market, but the additional temperature stability and additive packages on full synthetics will help. One should note that not all full synthetics are actually fully synthetic by the traditional definition. Some examples of synthetics that are fully synthetic are Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline, and possibly Pennzoil Platinum. Other so called full synthetics utilize a base stock that is mostly a highly refined stock which includes nearly all of your mainstream full synthetics such as Castrol(there is a new one that may be fully synthetic though), Valvoline, and etc. Royal Purple is also a synthetic that is not fully synthetic.

Edited by junehhan

Base oils shift almost on a daily basis. What is true now may not be true tomorrow. Some brands use a combo of PAO & Esters, some just PAO, some just Esters, but most use a combo of highly refined dino + Group IV/V that qualifies under the U.S. legal definition of "full synthetic". There is no brand that does not play this game, and I would not expect otherwise. Survival.

So far, no real change in fuel economy. Car says I'm at 25.6mpg. It's a 300 mile round trip, so we'll see what we get when we get back to town.

Ā 

BUT, i would like to add that it was very windy on our way down. We battled a snow storm when we were leaving home, got an hour away from home & delt with rain & about another hour later, dense fog. Ambient air temps were hovering around freezing most of the trip till the last hour,then was around 35. I will say at this point, mpg's seem to be not effected. Maybe i caught the coking in time to prevent any more problems from happening? Only time will tell.

Edited by lildisco

Yes, but some companies have been very consistent on what base stock they utilize. Redline has always been a di-esther base stock which has always fit their image of high temperature stability. The downside is that esther base stocks can attract moisture which can be bad. Amsoil was once a di-esther base stock a long time ago but have been exclusively PAO's since the 90's. Royal Purple has been a synthetic blend since the late 90's. I think their success has been their marketing and fancy purple color. Mobil 1 has always dabbled between esters and PAO's but have always been a full synthetic by traditional definition. What I like about Mobil 1 is that it has been the factory fill for more performance cars than any other full synthetic on the market. It has been the other synthetics on the market that have constantly shifted around depending on what they preferred. Most of the mainstream full synthetics other than Mobil 1 utilize hydrocracked base stocks these days since the landmark Castrol Syntec vs. Mobil 1 case back in 98 which basically allowed for manufacturers to claim that their oil is fully synthetic even when it is utilizing hydrocracked base stocks.

Cool, keep us posted.

Got better mpg's on the way up from southern Ohio, but there was a lot less wind & weather. Car said i averaged 26.8mpg,but calculated was 25.7mpg. Remember that here in Ohio, we're still on winter mix fuel. We also were in some stop & go traffic at times as well.

Ā 

I'll probably drain the catch can this weekend & see what it caught through 2 tanks, roughly 700 miles.

post-41964-0-61490200-1490146289_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Still only have 6300mi on my ecoboost I do a combination of city/hwy with an avg of about 21 to 22 mpg right now (according to the meter).

Ā 

I just did the first oil change and tire rotation and inflating tires to 35psi. Will be taking two long road trips so I will see if it improves. I would hope it does.

Been using top tier 89 to 91 octane fuel since I got it. Mainly 91. Remember renting a 2015 Ecoboost and getting more like 26-28MPG when doing mainly hwy driving, sure hoping I get about the same, then again the rental had about 14k on it already.

Ā 

I hear the octane boosters are a waste but would be curious to see if I put the premium in and added an octane booster. Probably not worth it but never know.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Back from a long trip, also posted on another topic.

Ā 

Drove from Bay Area, CA to Olympia, WA. Filled the tank before leaving and once at halfway point, had 1/4 tank left when I got there. Average mileage with the Ecoboost was 27-28 MPG going up. Coming back was 28-29 MPG.

Ā 

Think it was a good representation of highway driving through flat farmlands and mountain roads. Obviously the more downgrades on the trip the better the mileage but was fairly pleased with the mileage. I drove up drove around for a week and only filled up 6 times for the entire trip, I know have about 8600 miles on the car.

Ā 

Seems like my mileage inched up some now with combined hwy/city driving now at around 23-24 MPG based on the meter.

• 5 months later...

I just purchased the 2017 Edge Titanium 2.0 for the wife and have driven it around mixed city highway. I have noticed the slow start but once turbo kicks in it gets up and goes. I'm used to the quicker throttle response from my GMC Sierra 6.2 but my wife is in love with the Edge. The technology is amazing and the ride is quiet and smooth. I'm very happy I decided to go with Ford instead of GM for her needs.

Sport mode??

Ā 

Now that my 2.0T has 20k on it I can give a much better review.

Ā 

To echo "jamesacastro", the throttle response is slow and inconsistent at best. Blame electronics, turbo, transmission, etc, but its weak. The little 4cyl does move when you giv'er, but the fuel economy is well below avg.

Ā 

My Titanium is FWD... big regret. This vehicle does not put power to the ground well and the torque steer is terrible... even my conservative driving wife has discovered this. Not sure how lomg we'll keep this.