Doors won't lock

Rxtagchick

This morning I parked my 2013 SEL Edge and removed the key from the ignition. The warning beep started as soon as I opened my door. Key not in the ignition, no lights on. I tried to lock my doors from the button on the inside of the door. They locked, then unlocked. Tried multiple times, no luck. Closed the door and locked using the exterior keypad. That did work but I am concerned about this issue. Any advice?

Did you try to re-insert the key in the ignition & remove it? Doors automatically unlocking after trying to look them usually is because the key is still in ignition.

I'm not sure if it's the same symptoms, but could it also be that shifter is not registering that it's in P? As this problem is quite common.

Edited by omar302

The car still thinks the key is in the ignition. It will open the locks after they are closed so you don't lock the keys in the car by accident. The outside keypad will lock them with the key in the ignition. I found this out by accident when I took my car home to see if I wanted to buy it. The car was not used for months and it was dirty. I parked it in my garage and wiped the dirt off of it to see if the paint was in good shape. I also wiped the keypad. I said some bad words when the doors locked.

I think the sensor in the ignition lock is not operating correctly. I'm not sure if it is a mechanical switch or an electronic sensor.